Friday, June 19, 2009

Is death natural?


Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned. . . but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5

Yesterday, I had to put my precious cat Sniffles down. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do. We had her for 19 years. But in my grief, I got to thinking about death. Here are my thoughts on the subject:


People say death is natural. It’s a natural part of life. I don’t believe that. Death is the most unnatural thing anyone could experience. It’s wicked and vile and comes from the deepest parts of hell—a thief intent on taking what is not his. If it were natural, it would happen smoothly and gracefully like the budding of a new flower or the sprinkle of a spring rain, but if you’ve seen anyone you love die, you know that’s not true. It is torturous and miserable as the person writhes in agony caught in an eternal struggle with some unseen demon who has come to rip their soul from them. It’s nasty and unpleasant and carries a most putrid stench, and when it is over, it leaves those behind with a mound of open, festering wounds which never truly heal.


Sorry to be so morbid, but as I continued pondering it, I realized something. Death was NEVER part of God's plan. It came into being at the fall of man. It truly is an entity ruled by Satan. But Jesus came to set us free from death! As it says in Isaiah 25:

He will swallow up death for all time, And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,

and in 1 Corinthians 15

Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?

Someday, we believers will live in a world where no one dies, not even our pets. What a wonderful world that will be!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your kitty. I had to put one of mine down last year...I know is isn't easy. ((hugs)) Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about sniffles...i know what it's like to lose a pet you love...i agree with you...death was never a part of God's plan for man...but like you said, we are set free from death through Christ Jesus our LORD!! [=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your cat, MaryLu! But, maybe you'll see her again someday, in heaven. I'm not really sure we will see our pets in heaven, but I know there will be animals there, and our pets definitely have the ability to feel, as if they have souls, so, maybe.

    But no matter what, even though man's sin caused death to come, I and many others can look forward to eternal life with Christ. THAT'S something to look forward to.

    * Honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear that you had to make that decision to end Sniffles life. As a pet owner, who has to do it too many times, I know your heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death seems to be a huge and empty void, but it should only be thus, if you are lost and without a Savior. We as humans long to cling to our lives on earth, myself included. Heaven seems a vast unknown, but that is where our Lord and Savior who bled and died for our sins waits. I have a cousin who is dying from a brain tumor, long before she should be leaving this earth naturally. But she loves the Lord and clings to His promises. She is ready to enter His loving arms, however painful it might be for those of us on earth left behind. For there is no death, no sadness, no temptation in God's blessed kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is another side to your analysis. In contrast of the pain of losing someone you love it's a very powerful and BEATIUFUL thing to see a believer and loved one be received into the arms of Jesus. I agree, the pain is very real. But the beauty of seeing someone pass into eternity with the certainty that they are going to be with Jesus makes my heart long of heaven many times.

    I realize that there are many tragic incidents of death too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MaryLu,
    I know that heartache all too well. I pray you feel better soon because it is so traumatic. I found a spot where you may find some peace when it comes to pet loss. I go there often. Hope it helps.
    http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies, your comments really helped me feel like I'm not alone in my grief! God Bless,
    MaryLu

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry about your cat! I understand your pain! It ws very hard when I lost my cat T.J. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right, MaryLu. There is nothing natural about death and it was never part of God's plan for His creation. I grieve with you, but believe you and Sniffles will be reunited one day.

    ReplyDelete