Saturday, October 3, 2009

The winner of my Talk like a Pirate contest is...


Nicol Bowen!! who piped in from Facebook with her answers. Nicol got all 8 definitions correct! I believe she's either got a pirate dictionary in hand or she has some pirate blood runnin' through her veins!!

Honorable mention goes to the following people who guessed 7 out of 8 phrases correct:



G.R.I.T.S. (Rae Byuel)
Rebecca Herman.
Molly

Here are the answers!

Show a glim : Show a glim, ye drunken dogs!
Move quickly!, get to it!, snap to it! come on, let's go!

Scupper this : Blast ye, woman! Where's your hide? Rum! And scupper all this!
Get rid of it

Bowse up : So, bowse up, lad, stand away wit' me and rum it shall be.
Wake up, get up, move, come on!

This is spleen: Hum! This is spleen! A megrim or fit o' your ladylike vapors!
How dare you? You have some nerve!

Pish : Set him adrift. Pish, the same miraculous power that is to bring him provisions, can also bring him a sail.
Absurd!, Quiet, you're embarassin' yourself!

Seadog : To it, lads. . . at 'em, old seadogs!
A Seasoned sailor

Cull : And look'ee, my dainty cull, when you've seen as much o' death as Mings.....
Friend or companion

boosy : When did ever gentlemen of fortune turn astern to that much dollars for a boosy old seaman? And him dead, too
Drunken

Thank you, everyone for playing! I hope you had as much fun as I did! I loved reading all your responses. I wish I could address each of you individually to thank you and tell you how much I appreciate you stopping by, but time does not permit.

May the Lord fill your sails with wind and give you a clear horizon!
Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. lol Honestly i have both. Pirate Blood and a Good Pirate Dictionary :D But thank you for running the contest. It's nice to be able to use my pirate vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Nicol! G.R.I.T.S., Rebecca, and Molly you all did an awesome job, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. [lighting the cannon fuse] BOOM!!!! Arr, me hearties! A one-gun salute to ye, Nicol! To use me newly acquired lingo, Ye be a scurvy seadog that I'd be right pleased to consider a cull. LOL!

    I realize I'm writing this rather late, but I've been unable to get on the internet over the weekend. This was a fun contest, thanks MaryLu!

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete