Friday, September 24, 2010

Winner of Talk Like a Pirate contest!

We have two winners!  Both Christina Banks and Virginia C got all 7 phrases right!!  Wow, I do believe these ladies either have a pirate dictionary on hand or a bit of pirate in their blood!  Please send me your addresses and which of my books you would like to receive.

Congratulations to both of you!  I have to say I made these pretty hard this year!

Here are the answers.

Lower the boom: Scads, if that scalawag utters another word 'bout me, I'll lower the boom on 'im.
a. to flatten with a large piece of wood
b. to reprimand harshly
c. to blow up with a cannon shot
d. to throw overboard

Nippers and Half-pints: Gather the nippers and half-pints and send 'em ashore for some rum.
a. Mugs and cups
b. Sailors who had lost a leg or an arm
c. young boys
d. Slaves aboard the ship

By the boards: We have t' sail tomorrow or all will go by the boards.
a. following the pirate's code to the letter
b. sitting by the bulwarks or railing of the ship
c. drunk
d. a missed opportunity

Scupperlout: Get off me ship. I can't stand the sight o' ye, ye scupperlout!
a. Offensive idiot
b. Lazy person
c. Mutinous dog
d. Someone who steals food aboard a ship

Cockerel: So that be the way o' it, ye young cockerel
a. Arrogant person
b. Someone who cares for chickens on board the ship
c. a person who resembles a cockroach
c. a type of dog


Fond and feckless:  Ye be a good friend but a fond and feckless cap'n. 
a. Nice and clear-skinned
b. foolish and incompetent
c. Cheerful and daring
d. Carefree and stupid

Crossgrained: Ye crossgrained cur, ye're runnin' straight fer destruction.
a. cross-eyed
b. mixed up/confused
c. troublesome
d. a cross dressing sailor
  
Well, as you're reading this, I'm on an airplane to Minnesota for 3 book signings at Lifeway Christian book stores!  One tonight and 2 tomorrow. I'll try and get pictures so I can post them next week. 
Just a bit of writing news. I finally finished my edits on Surrender the Night. Those are the changes/fixes that I receive from my publisher's editor. Now, all that has to be done is several readings for last minute errors, including another one by me in a month or two, then the printing and binding and voila! A book is born.

When I return home, I'll continue working on Surrender the Dawn. Luke and Cassandra's story. I'm SUPER excited about this one. Luke Heaton is such a mysterious character, I'm not sure I even know what makes him tick yet. A bad boy terribly wounded with a sordid past and a hope for a better future. Oh, and he's one of those dark handsome rugged types. Yummy.

10 comments:

  1. Shiver me timbers! Book booty! Thank ye, lass : ) I sent ye that info ye be needin' ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday, Sept 24th,
    Morning, MaryLu ... while you're flying high up in the sky ! Congratulations to Christina and Virginia, on winning the "Talk Like A Pirate Contest" !!! That 'anyone' answered them "all" correctly ... I'm impressed !
    And ... I am most impressed that you have basically completed Book 2 MaryLu ... and working well into Book 3 !!! Way to go !!!
    Hope all goes well in Minnesota ... praying for your safety ... there and back home again. Have a blessed and wonderful time.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think I would do very well. :D But still very fun.

    Oh LOVIN' that info on the new books!! Can't wait to get me hands on them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the winners :) :) :)...that Heaton character does sound mighty handsome :) Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats to the winner.

    I missed one. My hubby and I did it joint effort. He led me astray on one. ARGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay - one about Luke Heaton!!! Swoon!!! :-D
    I actually saw on the reviews on Christianbook.com that somebody specifically mentioned hoping for one about him, so apparently quite a few people are waiting for it. ;-)
    I just love how you do all your sequels - characters who we've already met, but don't know a lot about. It works a lot better than when some authors try to write like six books about the same person.

    On a bit of a side note, I'm curious about one thing: what is the approximate word count of your books when you get all done?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comSeptember 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

    Congrats to the winners! Safe travels, MaryLu, I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, MaryLu! I'm looking forward to reading your book. I sent you a message on FaceBook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh how exciting!! I am really looking forward to reading those two books!
    I prayed you had a safe trip...have a fun book signing.
    Congrats to the winners.

    I have not yet had the chance to get on and make my review but I am still going to do it! =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the prayers for my trip. I'm Home!! I had a great time and met some wonderful people!!! But, alas, I caught a cold. So, I'm going to try and rest for a few days before I start writing again. I'll post pictures of my trip soon!
    Sapphire, my normal word count is anywhere between 100,000 and 120,000 words.
    Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete