Friday, October 22, 2010

Disneyland and where our rights come from.

Well, by the time you read this, I'll be on my way to Disneyland for two days! Yea! Just me and my hubby. We haven't had a weekend away together in a long time and we decided to make the short trip south and spend a few days in a fantasy world far far away from reality. You can bet I'll be visiting the Pirates of the Caribbean ride more than once. If I remember my camera, pictures will be forthcoming!

Now. Where do your rights come from?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  The Declaration of Independence

 
Our forefathers believed that certain rights came from God and God alone. Rights to live in freedom, to pursue our own happiness. Because these rights come from God, they cannot be altered or changed by man. They also believed in a small, centralized national government. Why? Because they had come from countries where the government was huge and powerful and corrupt. They knew that power corrupts the hearts of men, so they gave the States more power than the national government. Yet years later, we find their desires have been drastically changed and perverted. Not just by this administration but from various presidents over the past one hundred years. Our current government considers itself to be the giver of rights. It knows what's best for us. The more powerful and large it becomes, the more regulations and laws it passes, the less rights individuals have.
 When government takes the place of God, man is no longer free.

And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have lost the only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but by His wrath. 
Thomas Jefferson, who is considered one of the least religious of our founding fathers.

8 comments:

  1. Fri Oct 22nd,
    Good Morning, MaryLu.
    Well first of all: I hope (and will pray) that you and your husband have an absolutely wonderful and amazing time together ... at Disneyland !!! Good for you ! Sounds like a lot of fun. And, I "know" that escaping to a fantasy world now and then, is important. Just a little break away from reality, even if but for a short time ! (And yes, I am trusting that you brought along your camera ... looking forward to seeing your pictures !)
    From your blog today ... it sounds to me like -- we need to turn the "hands of time back" ... back to basics, and, the day where mankind feared God, revered Him, and 'recognized' that our freedoms and very life come from "Him, our Creator" !!!
    May God forgive those people... the men and women who have dared to 'take over', literally becoming the 'gods of the Government and Nations' !
    I'll take my "freedom in the Lord" ... any day !!!
    Thanks, MaryLu.
    Again ... have a wonderful and renewing time away, together !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have fun! I've never been to Disneyland myself, but I have been to Disney World - I went on the POTC ride three times! :-)

    You know, it shocks me how few people actually have ever read the Constitution - one year ago, when my cousin was in 10th grade at a public school, the teacher taught her students that the GOVERNMENT granted us these rights. When my cousin told me that, I grabbed her arm and dragged her to the copy of the Constitution we have on our wall and had a LONG talk with her about how if that were true, then the government could take them away willy-nilly. I think that when politicians try to control our rights, they're essentially making themselves out to be God. Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUCKY! Have fun!

    Thanks for posting about the founders, and how God ties in.
    Wish more would talk about this!
    ~Abigail =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comOctober 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM

    I almost didn't check in here, because I knew you were gone. But, leave it to you, MaryLu, to have a post up here whether you are home or not. (lol) Safe travels and great fun! Good post, as usual. You keep giving us all more and more to think about. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your little vacation to Disneyland! I have never been there, so I hope to see lots of pictures. :) Thanks for the great post...I was just reading about the forefathers in class a few weeks ago...if only we still had good men like them around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! How nice to come back from vacation and see all the comments wishing me well! We had a wonderful time! I think I went on every single ride except some in the small kids section. The pictures didn't come out too good, but I'll post a few during the week and tell you more about it. Everyone should go to Disney at least once and more than once in their lifetime!

    I'll try and continue to post about our forefathers and Christian heritage. You're absolutely right, Sapphire. Not many people even know what's in our constitution. Our forefathers knew that when Gov decided it was the giver of rights, then we would lose our freedom.
    Anyway, more on that later...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comOctober 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

    Welcome back, MaryLu! I am glad you had so much fun. I've been to Disneyland a few times in my lifetime...a couple of times with my sisters for our 'sisters vacation'. I love it and the rides. I would like to go back again sometime. I love walking around Disney's California and listening to the music....Enjoy what's left of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a great time! :-)

    ReplyDelete