Friday, June 3, 2011

My trip to the Naval Academy

As you all know I spent 4 days in Annapolis Maryland and also in DC for the United States Naval Academy Graduation. We had a grand time.  Our first night we ate dinner at this restaurant on the Severn River (which feeds out into the Chesapeake. You may remember the Chesapeake from Surrender the Night. It's the massive waterway that the British blockaded.)  Anyway, I can't tell you how wonderful it was to sit there, eat crab cake, and smell the salty ocean air. Right across the river stands the Academy.


















Below is a picture of me, my hubby and our daughter,Christine



The Chapel at The Naval Academy

We spent the next day walking around the Academy. My mother and my husband's parents joined us. Plus Christine, of course.


Bancroft Hall - this is the dormatory for all the Midshipmen
"The Yard" - which is the open area between classroom buildings
Inside Bancroft Hall

Inside Bancroft Hall

Above is a plaque in memorial hall which is inside Bancroft where they list all the men and women who graduated from the Academy who died in the service of their country. My grandfather's name is there. I hope you can read it.

They had a naval history museum. I was in heaven!!
The Commissioning Ceremony

After the Graduation ceremony



Me and my Mom!


A cake for our new Ensign!



We also visited Washington DC!  Just for a day. It was very crowded, but we managed to see part of the Smithsonian-the American History part, visit the Lincoln Memorial, and the WWII Memorial. Large groups of motorcyles (Mostly Harleys) drove through the streets with American flags flapping from their masts due to Memorial Day. It was very patriotic!
President Lincoln!

Tradition has it that Captain James Lawrence said these heroic words after being mortally wounded in the engagement between his ship, the U.S. frigate Chesapeake, and HMS Shannon on 1 June 1813. As the wounded Lawrence was carried below, he ordered "Tell the men to fire faster! Don't give up the ship!"
Above is a picture of an old flag partially destroyed in a ship battle.
Anyway, as you can see we had a marvelous time. It was also a momentous time. A time to honor those who serve our country and to celebrate this great nation! I'm so proud of my Step-Daughter, Christine!

11 comments:

  1. Fri June 3rd,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    (Just finished leaving a five-minute speel of my comments on the blog ... and when I hit the 'submit' button ... it didn't submit. Here goes again ....)
    Loved all of the photos ... truly wonderful ! Frist, the pic of the Severn River, looking across at the Academy !!! What a massive building/layout it is !!!
    You and your husband -- look so happy and proud, and rightly so ... as does Christine. And, I might add ... she looks totally amazing in her uniform !
    Bancroft Hall is -- massive, regal and beautiful ! How grand.
    You even got in to a 'Naval History Museum' ... good for you, MaryLu.
    Can hardly believe just how many candidates were graduating that day ... how many exactly, do you know ? What a wonderful, and momentous day to share together as family ! And, glad to hear that 'the parents of the parents' could all be in attendance too.
    The cake is just "W-O-W" ... how befitting and honouring to -- "Ensign Tyndall" !!! Good for Christine !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now, what does this 'graduation title' allow Christine to do, MaryLu ... does she continue on with more Naval schooling; serve on a Ship; return home to California; or .... ???
    Loved and appreciated Cptn James Lawrence's words: "Don't give up the ship !" .... Advice we can 'all' live by !
    Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us, MaryLu ... enjoyed them all.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In HIm, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda! yes.. I think blogger is having lots of problems recently. Anyway, there were 1006 graduates. A couple hundred were marines and 30 were going into Navy Seal training. Christine must report to a ship now out of Everet, Washington. It's a destroyer. She will be in command of several enlisted men and women and in charge of several duties aboard the ship.
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures!!!
    Have a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fri June 3rd,
    "Heh again, MaryLu."
    "1006 graduates" ... wow ... guess that is why the stadium looked packed !!! When does Christine report to the Ship ... immediately, or, does she get a little break/holiday first ? Well ... again, good for her !!!
    Also ... I forgot about this earlier ... but how did she like her 'naval sword'; and, did you get any photographs of her opening that gift ? Just wondering ....
    Okey-dokey ... that's it for now.
    Have a great weekend.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahoy Cap't.--
    Jumped ship fer a short time to catch you here. I was going to ask the same question Brenda did about Christine's next placement. Wow--a destroyer-- And in charge of the enlisted; she's courageous! Congratulations again to her, and richest blessings.
    My other comment was for the posting you did about Israel. I attend church with several Messianic Jews, and passed on your site to them to see your support for Israel. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoy Capt'n,
    Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family and step-daughter! Enjoyed all the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love these pictures, MaryLu! I especially love the 'Don't give up the ship' flag. It gave me goosebumps when I read that part. I also loved the picture of you and your mom. It brought moisture to my eyes; hold her dearly while she is still with you.
    I was able to read the words on the plaque, but I didn't see any names. Bancroft Hall is gorgeous! I am so happy that you were able to share this with your step-daughter.
    I want to just sit on that pier and stare out on the water!
    God bless yer week, Cap'n!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great pictures, Marylu. I bet your head is swollen with new ideas for books. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. My dad was a navy man.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ladies! Brenda, yes, she LOVED her sword and no, I forgot to get pictures. :-(
    And Christine has to report to her ship in about a month. She's here with us for a week, then she has to fly back to Norfolk for some special training and then over to Everet to find an apt and report to her post. Yes, she is courageous!
    And thanks Pat for your comment on my Israel post. I love Israel and I believe that there's a ton of anti-semetic propaganda on the rise all over the world. It's like Germany all over again. Horrible
    Yes, you and me Debbie, just sitting on the pier... taking in that salty breeze! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are great pictures! The harbor, the chapel, the dormitory, the yard - all very cool. How exciting for your daughter...you must be so proud. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter is very beautiful! You must be proud of her. I have a nephew who just graduated high school and he has already joined the Marines. He is my second nephew to join. I have several cousins who are in the Navy and Army.

    Your photo sare most imprssive. You look so small next to your husband and dauhghter in the fist photo. I live not too far from where you were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Tori, Connie!
    Connie, I am pretty tiny.. just 5'1". My hubby is 6' and Christine is arounc 5'7". Anyway, that's so awesome about your nephew. The marines are a tough bunch!

    ReplyDelete