Friday, September 9, 2011

What happens after an author turns a book in?

First of all, if you're me, the author drifts around her house, the mall, the grocery store in a sort of euphoric daze with no clear direction or purpose!  That was me this week!  I felt like I'd been locked in a room for 6 months and someone opened the door. Unsure what to do with my freedom, I sort of wandered a lot. I did get some things done. I took my cat to the Vet. Poor thing had nearly scratched all of her fur off! My husband kept asking me "When are you going to take her to the Vet? She's bald!" .  I also cleaned my writing room. I dusted it. Boy, was there a ton of dust!  I vacummed. I sorted through my books and papers. And now as you can see in the picture, it looks at least somewhat managable. I should have taken a before picture, but I'm sure it will be back in poor shape before too long.

Why? You may ask? Because I have another deadline. This one May 1st.  Which gives me less than 8 months to write another full length novel. The story of which, I have not yet even figured out! 

But back to the manuscript. My publisher now takes the manuscript and hands it to the editor. She then goes through it with a fine tooth comb!  She fixes my poor punctuation, spelling and other gammar issues. But mainly, she points out any discrepancies, plot holes, character problems.. things that really jumped out at her and caused confusion. (Hopefully there won't be too many of those!)  Then she sends it back to me with all of her comments and edits. I usually have a week or two to either accept or reject her ideas and fix any punctuation and grammar errors.  It's really the last chance I have to make any major changes in the manuscript.

Blog News:  Monday the 19th is National Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I bet you didn't know that!  Anyway, this year, a fellow author and I are putting together a big celebration. She has a pirate book releasing and my old pirate series is being re-released! Yea! So, tune in next Thursday. To start off the celebration, I'll be posting about a different pirate each day and mentioning pirate books I have enjoyed. Then on Talk Like a Pirate day, there will be contests and quizzes where you can win up to 4 free books!!  So, jest somthin' fer ye to be thinkin' about till then!

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Fri Sept 9th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well, I appreciated you sharing about "what happens after an author turns a book in" ! I'm quite sure you don't really get a whole ton of 'spare or free time' (normally speaking) ... so this must have been kind of neat ... to - veg out, "wander around", relax, clean up, etc ... and just do whatever "you" wanted to do !!! Nice and well-deserved break !
    You may not have figured out the story to your next project (novel due within eight months) ... but knowing you MaryLu ... I feel confident, 'something great' will come to mind before you know it !!!
    The part you described where your publisher takes the manuscript to the editor ... and "all" that transpires from that point onward ... sounds a tad overwhelming (to me anyway) ...
    Wow ... and then 'only a week or two' to accept or reject her comments and edits ... 'hopefully' there won't be too many of those (as you've already mentioned) !
    "If" I don't get to join in on Mon 19th for 'National Talk Like a Pirate Day' ... have fun ! I may be having some fun of my own ... going from Maui to Oahu !
    Yes, you have a fabulous weekend too. Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryLu,
    This is priceless:) I had to laugh as I feel like I've been unlocked, too, and am kind of roaming around dazed. My deadline was Sept. 1. Like you, I have to drum up another book and am currently clueless!

    Praying you enjoy your free time, your cat gets better, and we both feel inspired soon and begin again. You're a gem:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda.. yes it has been neat to just wander around for awhile.! Thanks. I'm so excited about your trip to Hawaii!! Have a wonderful time!

    Laura, how nice that you dropped in for a visit! Congratulations on finishing your manuscript too! If we lived closer, we could meet and wander around together! Thanks for your prayers! What's next for you? And if I'm a gem, you're a jewel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! I am looking forward to the contests and the celebration! I am currently reading “The Redemption” and so far I am loving it! You really can’t beat a well written book that has to do with pirates and faith. I can’t wait to see what you all have planned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, MaryLu. I would think that 'this' part would be the most stressful for a writer. Waiting for the editor to do her thing with your story.(is it Traci?) As for coming up with a story for your new novel, I have no doubt you will come up with a great idea. I will be praying that the story just begins to flow and continues to flow until you are finished. So, just relax, let go and let God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're enjoying The Redemption, Emma!
    Debbie, yes, it's Traci Depree. She's done most of my books. How did you know? Thanks for the encouragment! You're absolutely right.. This next book is God's. He's the one with the stories. I'm just the instrument. There's such peace in remembering that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MaryLu!
    I really like your writing room! It looks inspirational and cozy. =] If you ever want me to draw you something to maybe help you concentrate or to not to, haha, let me know. I will need ideas and requests for my future drawings this year. =]
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought so. Traci friend requested me awhile ago. Don't know why? But I was glad she did. I don't remember whether you or she told me that she edited some of your novels. She seems like a very nice lady. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what God has planned for your next project! This is exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Traci is a real sweetheart! She is hard on me, though. If she doesn't like something, she lets me know very frankly! She's even had me in tears. But you know what? It's been good for me and I've grown as a writer because of her. That's why I always request her when I turn in a manuscript.
    Thank you Debbie for being such a great friend!!! How is the job hunting going for Swabbie Jack?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still nothing on the job front. We are still keeping the faith. Right now we are all waiting for Jackie to have the baby. The doctor said that if she goes into labor, he won't stop her. She isn't due until the first week in October, but who knows? She has been having Braxton Hicks contractions lately. I can't wait to meet my little Tinkerbell!
    ********
    If you haven't checked it yet, I sent you an email. Just FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, MaryLu!
    I could never be an author for what you describe. It sounds WAY chaotic! You do a great job!
    I'll pray for you. Don't you get stressed at having little break between books?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so neat to get a glimpse of your office and where most, if not all, the writing magic happens! :) One of the first things I noticed was the pirate nutcracker. I collect nutcrackers, but I don't have a pirate one yet. Now I want to start looking for one!
    Congrats on finishing Veil of Pearls, and I can't wait to hear about your next project...maybe it will be the mermaid/pirate story you were considering? :)
    I'll pray for you, for guidance!

    ReplyDelete