Friday, May 4, 2012

Vitamix and Health - my review

I know many of you have come to expect a writing lesson on Fridays (and I do hope they've been helpful!), and though I have other topics I could discuss in that regard, and I truly do love to help other writers, this blog's main focus surrounds these themes
  • Bringing God glory
  • Encouraging the Saints
  • Christianity and Culture
  • News about my books!
  • History
  • Bringing your attention to other great books and products
  • Tall ships and pirates!
 So, I've decided to change Friday's format to what I'll call Funky Friday Which basically means anything goes! It will be a time for me to just blab about anything in particular that's been on my mind during the week, which could be anything from the state of our world, the coming apocalypse, politics, new products I've bought and loved, a book review and recommendation (with a giveaway sometimes!), how my organic garden is coming along (I know you're dying to know), and of course any book news I have regarding my own books.

http://www.theheartlinknetwork.com/blog/?p=2601
I also want to make it a time when you can ask me anything. In fact, if you're too shy to leave a comment, you may email your questions to marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com and I'd be happy to answer them here on Friday. Or if you simply have some comment or something to say, you can email that to me as well.

For those of you non-shy people (And you know who you are), I'd like to hear from you, so please pour your hearts out to me and let's have a Friday chat!

Before we get to today's blabbing, I'd like to announce that June will be Veil of Pearls Month !  Yes, you heard it here first. Every Friday in June, I'll be posting something about my new release, Veil of Pearls.. things like an indepth look at the characters, a video trailer, a you-guess-what-the-character-says-next contest, and other surprises. All you have to do is leave a comment and your name will be entered to receive a free, signed copy of the book!

Topic of the week: My New Vitamix!

Some of you may remember that I'm on a quest to lose ten pounds before July when hubby and I are going to a Sandals resort in Jamaica!  Well, so far I've lost 4 pounds. Doesn't sound like a lot, I know. But hey, I'm only 5'1" and over 50, so give me a break!  In addition to my weight loss, I'm trying to become super healthy. Everything I read on the topic leads me to believe that my diet should consist of a bunch of organic fruits and veggies, whole grains, limited lean meats and chicken, less sugar and more exercise.

So I bought a Vitamix! My husband call it my Woman's Power Tool.     It's a glorified, awesome blender that doesn't just blend, it does so much more!  You know how some people have juicers that extract juice from veggies and fruit? Well, the Vitamix actually takes the whole fruit and veggies and grinds them up so small that you can make a smoothie out of them, using the whole fruit and not just the juice. So, it's SUPER good for you.

Here you see me about to make my smoothie. I put into the Vitamix
1 Orange
Frozen strawberries and blueberries
1/2 Zukinni
Kale
Grapes
Spinach
1/2 Banana
1 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup Kefir 

I usually also add an apple and some broccoli. Actually, you can put anything you want in it

Here's the result.  It's a delicious smoothie that really fills me up and lasts all day.  Plus, I'm getting all those nutrients from all the fresh organic fruits and veggies! (I mean, who wants to eat all that stuff raw?)

I have to tell you that since I've started this, I feel really good!! 
The Vitamix also does other things. It chops veggies for salads, makes salsa, hummus, ice cream, soup, peanut butter, and grinds whole grain then kneads dough to make bread.. 

The only trouble is, it is expensive. But it comes with a 7 year warranty and I can tell you, it's top quality.  If you are considering becoming healthier and eating right, this is the way to go.. and it is worth saving your pennies for. (And no, I'm not being paid by Vitamix to say any of this) :-)


Have a great weekend!!!



13 comments:

  1. Fri May 4th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well ... the "Vitamix" sounds truly versatile and amazing. Just asking though (bluntly) ... about how much does one cost ? (Because, whatever your price is in the U.S. ... our Cndn prices usually tend to jump a good bit higher.) Is it an upgraded version of the "Magic Bullet" ... (sort of) ?
    The smoothie sounds great, and definitely healthy. From the ingredients you add with their natural benefits ... I am quite sure you would be feeling 'better', and probably have more energy too.
    Now for my 'Funky Friday' question (not being too shy you know) ... the picture you have of yourself up in the right-hand corner (sitting at your desk with a book and pen in hand) ... do you still look the same 'today' (from whenever that photo was taken) ? Like, when I visualize your appearance, that picture comes to mind. You never age, you just remain 'the same'. Don't misunderstand ... I love that photograph ... I was only wondering. Funny, the things the brain thinks about, huh ???
    Well, that was certainly a shallow-minded 'Funky Friday' question !
    Have a great weekend, everyone.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...the fruit/veggie smoothie looks and sounds really good. I love fruits and vegetables, so I have a feeling I would really enjoy something like this. And hey, four pounds is four pounds, right MaryLu? Sounds like you're doing great. And you DO NOT look 50, just beautiful. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Vitamix was over $400, but sometimes they have specials on their website where you can get a refurbished one. My sister in law got one for $300. Well worth saving your money for!

    Thanks for the compliments ladies, but I'm 53! Yes, I'm admitting it to the world! Brenda, to answer your question, that picture was taken a few years ago. For some reason I'm fairly photogenic and most pictures of me do a good job of hiding my age. Plus, I really take good care of myself too. However I do look older in person than that picture.... See, I don't mind answering personal questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, I LOVE the Vitamix! We bought approximately 8 or so years ago and it still works great! It is so worth the cost! I like the idea of funky Friday! I think it will be fun to just chat about whatever subject comes to your mind, and I like the idea of having an opportunity to just ask you about whatever comes to my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for June!!! Funky Friday sounds fun. The Vitsmix looks very useful and that smoothie sounds very yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for June!!! Funky Friday sounds fun. The Vitamix looks very useful and that smoothie sounds very yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Emma, another Vitamix owner!! Yes. they last forever, I'm told. and yes.. no one has asked me anything except how old I really am! LOL.

    Heather.. you can post twice if you want!! It's always nice to hear form you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, from the photo it actually looks like an ancient machine. It must be the colors. I am glad you are eating right and losing the weight. Swabbie Jack and I will more than likely be losing some weight. Here's to taking care of ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funky Fridays sound like fun....and looking forward to June, too.
    Happy Weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Believe it or not, I'm a very, very shy person. It takes a lot for me to even write a comment on some of your posts. But this has been a blessing for me. Its helped me be more open about Christ, and to have the courage to meet new people. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eszter, I would have never known you were really shy! I'm so glad you forced yourself to comment on my blog.. otherwise I would have never had a chance to know you! And that makes me sad. Believe it or not, I was pretty shy when I was younger too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I like the sound of Funky Fridays!! (That's kinda what my entire blog is hahaha - randomness!)
    I don't like the texture of smoothies but I actually love raw fruits and veggies. The only problem is they cost more than junk food, even more pricey and hard to find in the winter, and then a lot of them you have to slice up before eating :/ BUT, I am on a quest to become more healthy, too. My goal is by the summer of 2013, to look and feel better than I have in a LOOONG time. I will definitely be visiting my local farm produce stands this summer :)
    By the way, I love where you said the Vitamix "doesn't just blend, it does so much more!" You sound like a commercial, but that's fine because you can tell you really mean it :D
    Congrats on the 4 pounds, and here's to the other 6! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I meant here's to LOSING the other 6.

    ReplyDelete