Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The seed that fell on the rocky soil


For those of you who have read my latest book, The Red Siren, you know that the theme is taken from Matthew 13 and the parable of the seed and sower. Faith, the heroine in the story represents the seed that falls on the rocky soil

But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles Matt 13:20-21


This is a theme very close to my heart because I know so many people this has happened to. They get "saved" and are so excited about the Lord at first. They read their Bible, attend every church session and seem to be living atop the mountains. But then something happens, a prayer doesn't get answered the way they want, a tragedy strikes them or their family, and they shrink away in despair, wondering if God even exists at all. Most usually end up falling away completely from their faith and getting involved in other religions or becoming agnostics. It is so sad! I'm trying to figure out why this happens and what to do to correct it, or at least help save some of these people. That's why I wrote this book. I wanted to show the horrible path someone could take if they turned away from God and tried to fix things on their own. And I wanted to show how that someone could find their way back to God.
I think alot of this has come about because of the false "prosperity" gospel that's being preached in this generation. You know the one that says God wants you to be "Healthy, Happy, and Wealthy" When if you truly read the Bible, God's real goal is for us to be "Sound minded, Joyful and Victorious" Totally different things than what the world says health, happiness and wealth are. Anyway, I digress.

If you've read my book, I'd love to hear your comments on what things you remember that helped Faith return to God. Or if you have any other ideas of how to direct someone back into the fold, or stories of your own you'd like to share. I truly believe this is an epidemic among today's Christians, especially young people, who are looking for something real, not the watered-down version of the gospel so many churches preach.

3 comments:

  1. I'm about half way through your book, The Red Siren, so I'm thinking that maybe what happened when they went to rescue Hope is going to help Faith find her way back to God.

    I hope to read some tonight because where I left off was where Dajon finds the rare pearl. Interested in seeing what happens.
    I'm enjoying reading your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at how God works. Our message on Sunday was this passage exaclty! Our Pastor was saying that the seed that falls on the stony ground - these folks are the ones with the emotional high, never actually truly committing themselves to God. They are probably the ones who are going to cry, "Lord, Lord." and his response will be "Depart from me, I never knew you." Now, yes there are some true believers who do backslide, but I think that God will always guide his children back to him. He may have to allow things into their life to show them their need, but if we/they let Him even our trials can be used for His glory.

    I know that in my own life, never was I more close to God than when going through one of the hardest times of my life - my parents divorce. It was much like footprints in the sand - He carries us when we are too weak to go on our own. He taught me the true value of being Father to the fatherless and a Comfort, Confidant and Friend. Oh, for the faith to lean on Him through the good times too!

    Most of Faith's life was based on deceipt. She was ultimately trying to do the "right" thing for her sisters and care for them, but the way that she was going about it was deceiptful and just plain wrong! I think that when she realized that there were things out of her control (don't want to say what and ruin the story for those who haven't read it)is when she finally saw herself as a woman in desperate need of God's love and forgiveness. This was her turning point. She had to be totally broken, before she could be healed. A true picture of what many of us face today.

    I agree with you that our young people today don't see "realness" Everything is just skin-deep. People say what they want you to hear and don't say what they mean. They act differently by who they are around. It makes for some really confused kids/teens/adults. I think that if we would allow people to get close enough to us to see our faults as well as our strengths, this would be when God could really use us to touch others. Until we are willing to give of ourselves and be completely "sold out" to God, we will never really experience the true REAL relationship that is possible with Him.

    I know that this is my struggle. I'm scared to let people see the "real" me, worried that they won't like me, or what they will think of me. Worried of failure. But at the same time, I hear God saying, "I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of Love, power, and a sound mind."

    Good food for thought, MaryLu. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Ladies. Great discussion! Angie, yes, what happened to Hope has much to do with Faith's journey. And Sheri, that is so cool, your pastor was just speaking on this passage. I'm sorry about your hard times, but like you said, that's when we tend to cling to the Lord more tightly. And in Faith's case, God had to bring her to the very bottom, have the worst thing happen for her to finally look up. I wonder why we humans are such slow learners?
    And I love your "sold out" for God. The fear of man (or the fear of rejection and what people think of us) is a binding chain around many of us that keeps us from the life God wants for us. I too, battle with these things.

    ReplyDelete