Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who can show us any good?

Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound."

Psalm 4:6-7

I don't know about you, but in this day and age, especially if you watch much TV or news, you may be asking yourself, Who can show me any good? I know I can get easily discourged by the state of our world even from watching a few commercials! Those of you who're old enough to have lived a few decades on this planet can attest to the fact that our culture has taken a nose dive into the toilet.

Then pour on top of that the corruption of our government and the state of our economy, and it's no wonder most Americans drink alcohol, take drugs, or are on some kind of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant.

But in this Psalm, David gives us the answer to the question "Who can show us any good?" It is God and God alone who is good, and who is the Creator and source of all things good. And those of us who really Know Him can be filled with such great joy that nothing on this earth can compare!

If you're looking to this world to satisfy you, you're never going to be happy, but if you look to Jesus, you'll find an inexhaustable, reliable, unfluctuating source of true joy that this world cannot take away. I, for one, can attest to the truth of this as I was once in the world and very unhappy and now am a servant of the Most High God and have more joy than I thought possible. I pray that thought blesses you and encourages you this week!

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marylu. The situation our country is facing and the way that it is going is downright frightening. It a comforting thing to know that we (Christians) are on the winning side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. miss marylu, i have got to tell you that this post brought tears to my eyes. it is so true, what you are saying here! america is going down the drain and it is NOT good! there isn't much that we as Christians can do but pray, and pray we will!! [=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog reminds me of a psalm I heard in church on Sunday. Jeremiah 15:20 "Then I will make you to this people A fortified wall of bronze; And though they fight against you, They will not prevail over you;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for your comments. I too, am really sad to watch our country fade from the glory it had in the beginning when our founding fathers based our government on the principles of God's word. And thanks for the scripture too. I don't remember that particular verse, but it's very cool.

    ReplyDelete