Monday, March 9, 2009

Does God still heal?


I'm listening to the New Testament on Audio and working my way through the Gospels, and one thing I'm noticing is how often Jesus healed people and delivered them of demons. In fact, I can't find a single place where He refused to heal someone. Yet, today, when I look around at my fellow Christians, I see so many of them sick and dying. It doesn't make sense to me. I mean, look at what the Scriptures say about healing the sick:

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. James 5:14
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well Mark 16:17-18

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. John 1:12

I've been talking to God about this and asking Him to reveal to me what's going on. Here's some ideas that have come to me as I've meditated on this question.
  • Much of the church in America preaches that the miracles of the New Testament ended with the Apostles (though I can find no scriptures to validate that) Consequently, people lack the faith to truly believe God can heal them.

  • God can use an illness to get a person's attention if they are straying from Him or getting involved in something that will cause them much pain.

  • God may give someone an infirmity in order to humble that person (This happened to Paul in 2 Corinthians 12)

  • God can allow someone to become ill as a means to usher them into Heaven (not such a bad deal)

  • God can use a sickness for His glory when the person endures it with faith, patience and joy. (Although I cannot believe God would allow this illness to continue during the person's entire life)

  • God can allow someone to become ill so He can heal them, thus bringing others to Him who witnessed the miracle. (John 9:3)

  • If a person lives a lifestyle where they don't eat right and don't exercise, they will suffer the consequences of those choices with poor health. In that case, they should not expect God to heal them. This is an important distinction and one we all should take to heart. There are consequences to all our actions and God often allows us to suffer them.

What do you think? I'm curious to hear other's opinions. Have you witnessed a healing miracle? If so, I'd love to hear about it.


5 comments:

  1. My family have witnessed several miracles, especially healings. When I was sixteen I was healed of a thyroid problem. That probably doesn't sound like much, but it really was playing havoc with my life and God decided I was just too young to deal with that sort of thing, so He healed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course He still heals! What many Christians also refuse to realize is that there are varying degrees of healing. My dad had herniated disc surgery about 15 years ago. He was on OxyContin for a long time. He was healed of needing that about 10 years ago. Some people wouldn't qualify that as healing, but we do. He's not pain free by any means, but it's now controllable with just Vicodin.

    God also uses the hands of physicians to heal. Just because modern medicine fixed it doesn't mean God didn't orchestrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, God still heals and I'm in agreement with the meditated statements you've come up with. I've even seen demons cast out of people. The problem is that their lifestyle and choices can bring the demons back into their lives if they don't cling to the scriptures and their newfound faith.

    I was healed as a young girl. I was a track runner and had developed huge knots along the front of my shins. My mother praid for me, annointed me with oil, and laid hands on me. The knots went away instantly. That is the only instant healing that I can recall.

    I also believe God healed my daughter from a life-threatening seizure disorder. I took her to the elders of the church. They annointed her with holy oil, laid hands on her and prayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is that God works in mysterious ways. I was watching an old movie called The Robe (which is an awesome and inspiring movie by the way), and it showed a girl who was a cripple, but happy as a singing bird in spring. She tells the main character that sometimes God doesn't heal us the way WE want Him to, but in a way to show His glory. Every time I think about that, I am always confessing my bad attitude and talk to God about getting back on track-how He wants me to show His love. If its through a disease or some sickness, etc., then so be it. You automatically get an advantage because people always want to know what happens to other people, and you can use you're experience to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veronica, that is so cool that God healed your thyroid! Of course it's a big deal.
    And absolutely, Rachel, God uses doctors all the time. I'm glad your Dad is off he heavy drugs
    Jennifer, I too, have witnessed demons coming out of a person. Scary stuff. But what an incredible story you have of your own healing and your daughters! I just love hearing stories like this. God is so awesome!
    Eszter, I have seen The Robe too. Great movie, and I completely agree. God can use diseases and handicaps for His glory if the person is willing to let go. Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I really enjoyed reading them all.

    ReplyDelete