Monday, July 6, 2009

Remove your high places and cling!


Taken from 2 Kings 18, the following passage describes King Hezekiah and I think we all can learn a huge lesson from his life!

He did right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father David had done.
He removed the high places and broke down the sacred pillars and cut down the Asherah.
He also broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the sons of Israel burned incense to it; and it was called Nehushtan.
He trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel; so that after him there was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor among those who were before him.
For he clung to the LORD; he did not depart from following Him,
but kept His commandments, which the LORD had commanded Moses.
And the LORD was with him; wherever he went he prospered

What are the high places in your life? A high place is anything or anyone you put above God in importance. Here's some modern day examples: TV, Cars, Clothing, Jewelry, A boyfriend or girlfriend, husband or wife, A house, youth, beauty, alcohol, drugs, sex, money, partying, movie stars, etc... (Just ask yourself what do you think about most of the time?)

What is the bronze serpent in your life? Anything that is a substitute for God. Anything or anyone you depend on instead of God. The thing or the person you run to when you have a problem. The thing or person in whom you put your security and you depend on and rely on the most. Here's some modern day examples: bank account, stock market, relationships, fame, your personality, your looks, etc.. (Just ask yourself what or who do you run to when you are in trouble? What do you do to get yourself out of trouble?)

If you answered the above questions with anything but God, I encourage you to do what Hezekiah did and remove the high places in your life and break apart the serpent. They are a lie from the pit of hell. They can't help you. They can't save you. They will only cause you grief.

Then...

Trust in the Lord
Cling to the Lord
Obey His commandments

Then you'll prosper wherever you go. It's so simple, isn't it?

I love the word Cling. (To stick to, to hold tight by grasping or embracing; to cleave, to be or remain close)

Recently some issues in my family have really brought me down. Have you ever felt battle-weary, confused, discouraged about a particular situation? Something you've been praying about for years? Sometimes all you can do is Cling to God and trust in Him. At those times, I picture myself on my knees grabbing onto His cloak and never letting go. And usually it's when I do that that I hear His voice all the more clearly saying, "Trust me", and a magnificent peace covers me.

I know that I know that I know that if I tear down the high places in my life and break apart the serpent and put my trust in God and obey Him, and then just cling to Him because at that point I simply don't know what else to do, then He will prosper me. He will come through for me! Turn to Him, try it out, and see!

7 comments:

  1. Amen, MaryLu. This is something I have to work on. God's helped me remove some of my high places lately, but I still need to work on it.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I am trying to keep God first, but it is hard. Thanks for writing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post.
    I have yet to read one of your books but have added your name to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been blogging much lately and have really missed yours. You are such an encouragement. Please keep writing these posts knowing that God is using them. That He is using you as an encourager to at least one person that you have never met. Thank you for your willingness to be used of God. I needed this right now. I've had some rough things going on the last 2 weeks and this is just what I needed this afternoon.

    Julie =)
    sweetpea.hull@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so blessed to know that these posts are helping others. Thank you for your comments! Julianna, I'm sorry for the trials in your life. Keep your eyes on Jesus. There's a reason for everything. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since May, yes May, I feel like I've become so distant from the Lord. It all has to do with family. So much was going on all at once and I honestly felt like I was drowning and that God was no where in sight to stop it from happening.

    I haven't been clinging at all. I've been letting go. This morning on the radio Proverbs 31 Ministries was doing their spot and the gal was talking about how much easier it is to keep doing what we know we should be doing than to fall away and try to get back on track.

    That's pretty much where I am right now. I just have no desire to get back on track right now. I don't even know what my high place is, but I know it's not God.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know He's reaching out to me. I just need to move.

    ~Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi, I'm praying for you! God loves you more than you can imagine. It only takes one tiny step in His direction to fall into His open arms.

    ReplyDelete