Monday, March 8, 2010

God can bless your mess!

I was reading through the lineage of Jesus in Matthew, Chatper 1, the other day and something just leapt off the page at me. I saw two names that stopped me cold. Bathesheba and Rahab. Bathesheba was the married woman David had an affair with and after she became pregnant, he killed her husband. And Rahab was a prostitute who lived in Jericho.  Now, why would God choose these type of people to be the ancestors of Jesus? If I were God, I would have chosen really holy people who had spent their life serving God and doing only good.

I just love the way God's mind works. I believe He's sending us a message through this lineage. What is He saying? To me, I believe He's saying, "I don't care what you did in your past. I don't care what kind of person you were. If you turn back to me with all your heart, I will erase all your past mistakes, make you into a new person, and use you to make a difference."

God is a God of restoration, of redemption and of second chances. Both David and Rahab repented of their sins and devoted their lives to God. If they had stayed in their wickedness, God would have passed them by and used someone else. Yet how many of us either refuse to let go of some sinful behavior OR we don't think God can ever use someone like us? 

I come from a pretty bad past, and I still suffer from many of the consequences of that past. Many times I wonder why God would even bother with someone like me. Why would He answer my prayers? Look at what I've done? Why would He bless my kids, my job, my marriage, my health, my finances? Surely there are more worthy believers out there than me.

Maybe you feel the same way?

But I've come to understand that God isn't interested in people with a flawless past. He's interested in people with a devoted heart.

Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “ Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.  Isaiah 1:18

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

I don't care if you've murdered, raped, stolen, commited adultery, gossiped, lied, or been a homosexual. If you've truly repented and turned your life over to God, then He doesn't even remember those things. All He sees when He looks at you is His Son and you standing there white as snow. So, the next time the enemy tries to tell you that you're scum and God could never use someone like you, and God will never answer your prayers, remind him of David and Rahab and so many other wretched sinners in the Bible whom God used for great and mighty things.  Just believe. 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, thank God He is in the business of making all things new! Hallelujah! I think your Pirates series brought out that lesson so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said about God using the type of people you wouldn't expect to carry out His will is a message I think is really lacking in churches. People think that if they're shy, they can't share the gospel, or that if they're young, they have no place leading a Bible study. But I heard recently from someone that God picks the most UNqualified people for the job so it's obvious to everyone that their ability came from Him, not from the person - like Paul: he was probably THE most qualified person to explain the Messainic prophesies to the Jews, but God sent him to the Gentiles. It's like He's saying, "I know you think you can't, but I can. So just hang on for the ride!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! And I liked Sapphire's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! You are so right. Doesn't it say in the Bible that God uses the worthless, the lowly people of this world to confound the wise? It seems God glories in using people who are completely unqualified for the task! That way, only God will get the glory. THat gives me great encouragment. I no longer need to rely on myself to do the things He calls me to do. Thank God! Because I never feel adequate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you noticed that in the Bible, God choses the little people who do his will and then become heroes of the Bible? Its a lesson that everyone needs to hear: just because you're young or small doesn't mean God can't use you. You are where you are for a reason: to share HIs love for people around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent point Eszter! God never chooses the wise or the mighty or the talented. He always chooses the weak and insignificant to do His works. That's such a cool thing about Him and gives those of us who think we are nobodies, hope that through Him we can be somebodies!

    ReplyDelete