Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't let the darkness overtake you!

Have you noticed how dark the world is becoming? I don't mean physically, but spiritually and emotionally. If you're under 30, maybe you haven't seen much change, but for those of us who have been around for awhile, alot has changed since we were kids. If you're a follower of Jesus, then you've probably felt the darkness growing. You see it on TV, hear it on the news, experience it in the lives of those around you. There is a prevading sense of fear and despair in our world today. This isn't caused by war or crime or immorality, although those are symptoms. This is caused by the powers of darkness and evil and by the leader of those powers, Satan.

In fact, if you look up all the references of darkness in the New Testatment, you'll see that darkness and Satan's kingdom are synonymous. Also hell is also referred to as a place of great darkness. Darkness is where God called us out from before we knew him (Col 1:13)

But now we walk in the light. What is the light? The light is Jesus himself. He is the light and the light giver (John 1:9  If you're a follower of Jesus, you are now a light, and from the looks of this world, you are a light shining in a very dark place. But it is possible to lose your light. You may not even do it purposely by some conscious bad act or by turning your back on God. It's possible to lose your light by doing nothing at all. Yes Nothing at all.

Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going. John 12:35

This verse really struck me. It gives a command and a warning. You must follow the command or the warning will happen to you. In other words if you aren't moving forward in your walk with God, then you'll probably end up back in the darkenss. Being a follower of Jesus isn't a one time decision and Sunday church and then you do nothing. If you aren't moving, if you're standing still or loitering by the side of the road, look behind you... the darkness is coming! And it will catch you.

So, how do we avoid this?  Jesus tells us in the very same chapter
Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me. John 12:35-36

Stop loitering, stop standing still and face forward. You'll see Jesus ahead of you, his arms spread wide, waiting for you to catch up to Him. Follow Him and keep following Him and the darkness will never catch you.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post! So true and very though provoking! I do notice the darkness of things these days. And you're right, we can't just stand still and wait for it to overtake us.

    Blessings
    Michelle V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way under the thirty-year mark, but still, I have definitely seen a change! Personally, I view it as a direct result of the great apostasy (which I believe we are in now) that preceeds the End Times events.
    Your reminder to walk in the light is very timely - something I think every Christian (myself certainly included) needs to hear repeatedly, given how surrounded we are by corruption and depravity.
    I'm reminded of Ephesians 5:15-16: "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post, MaryLu! I have struggled with that for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I said I was a christian, but I just went to church because you were supposed to and didn't actually live like it the rest of the week. I've been trying to keep moving forward and not loiter, as you put it. This was very encouraging. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post MaryLu! It was encouraging and I needed to here it. You are wonderful and I hope you are not to stressed out with your busy life.
    God Bless you!! Look to the light! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies! I too believe we are in the Great Apostasy, although I believe it will get much worse. Great scripture, Sapphire. I appreciate all your comments. I'm doing well. Wedding is in 2 weeks! And I'm trying to finish up my next book, but God is good. He's coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world is filled with such spirituall darkness that I can almost see it. It makes me wonder how bad it was during the days of Noah. Probably worse since God decided to wipe out the whole human race-except for Noah and his family. Still, as the world progresses towards each day, it makes me long for the time when Jesus will return and we can go to heaven where evil doesn't exist!
    Thank you for this post MaryLu! I really needed the encouragment!

    ReplyDelete