Monday, June 7, 2010

How to discern the voice of the enemy

Whether you believe it or not, you are being bombarded by hundreds of voices every day. I'm not talking about the voices you can hear and the clamor of technology and people all around us. I'm talking about spiritual voices. They are the voices of good and evil, the voices of God and His Spirit and Angels, and the voices of Satan and his demons. Most people never acknowledge or recognize these voices because they are far too busy running here and there and are always plugged into something, ipad, iphone, ipod, always talking, singing, watching TV. So much noise, you can't hear yourself think! Let alone hear these internal voices. Yet, unwittingly, we obey some of them, mistaking them for our own thoughts, or because they satisfy some selfish desire.

Recently, I've come under heavy spiritual attack. Why, I have no idea, except I must be doing something good for God's Kingdom. During these moments, I've paid close attention to what the voices are telling me, and I'm beginning to be able to recognize the voice of the enemy instantly. I thought I'd share with you my observations in the hope they would help you in your own spiritual walk.

The voice of the enemy is

Critical and judgemental -- of you or of someone else
Negative
Complaining
Causes you to become angry or frustrated
Puffs up your pride or makes you feel worthless
Always carries some truth
Steals your joy
Causes you to lose your peace and feel agitated
Causes worry
Asks you to compromise your values for the sake of your rights or fairness
Tormenting
Focuses on You and what You deserve. It's You centric

So, if you find any of these conditions happening, stop and ask yourself what thoughts have been going through your mind?  And the next time, you'll catch it sooner, and pretty soon with practice, you'll be able to tell Satan and his lackeys to shut up as soon as they start!

Remember Satan's job is to steal all that God has given you (joy, peace, love, hope, purpose), to destroy you and your life if possible, and to kill you, if he can.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full  John 10:10

Next Monday, I'll be talking about how to hear the voice of God.

14 comments:

  1. Another awesome post, and your description of the voice of the enemy is spot on!
    My husband used to ask me, "Who told you that?" when I would repeat the garbage attacking my mind. Without fail, that question would make me step back and look to the source.
    Thank you, MaryLu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posting today is a definite
    God send.
    Thank you sooo much for opening my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this. This is so important and I think we as Christians tend to forget things like this. I'm going to reread this. My dad will like it, too :) :) I'll share this on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very glad you posted this. I had been thinking about this same thing lately. And all of the things you listed have been running through my head.
    I have a question: Is it true that Satan goes after the weak, more?
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! It is so important to be able to discern when Satan is attacking you, and to tell him through Jesus' power to go away.

    Our God is powerful! :) God bless!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies, for your comments! I'm so glad my post was helpful to you. Abigail, to answer your question, I think Satan goes after two kinds of Christians. Those who are causing him damage (In other words, the Christians on the front lines who are really glorifying God and bringing lost souls to salvation) and Satan goes after the nominal Christians who, like the straglers at the end of the pack, are easy targets for temptation and unbelief. That's not to say he doesn't target other Christians, but I think he spends most of his energy on these 2 groups. This is only my personal opinion from life's experience. Hope that helps....

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is incredibly helpful - thanks for posting it! I'm going to copy it down and read it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy reading your posts! I'm going to post one of your books on side of my blog!

    Follow me:
    http://insunshineandshadows.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so very much for this post, MaryLu. I read this just now at a moment I really needed to hear it. I recently had the opportunity to have a professional read an anonymously submitted first page of a novel I'm working on, and I got ripped apart. I am only a teenager, and while I believe my writing has improved since I was nine, I know I have a long way yet to go to write anything good. I've always thought that I was supposed to write, because I've always had to write, but now I've started doubting. But last night, I realized that I just need to TRUST GOD. He is only good, and He has only good things intended toward me. If He wants me to write, He'll get me there. Thank you for this post, because it just reenforced what He told me last night.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sasafras,becoming an author is a long journey. You may have talent, but you need to gain skill and experience. Don't be discouraged. Like you said, if God has truly called you to write, He'll pave the path, although it may be a bit bumpy and up hill part of the way! Just keep your eyes on Him and stop letting the enemy get you off track.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Little Lady! However, Your blog address doesn't work. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooops! Sry :) Let me try again. This is Micah by the way, from MI. :)

    http://insunshineandshadowsmew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I definitely needed to be reminded of this important thought. Lately, every time I even try to pray, I find it hard to concentrate and instead my mind is full of things that I have to work hard at trying to reject or just put out of my mind. It's good to remember what I already thought I'd learned! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that quot. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" John 10:10

    That quot is true and worth following. The thief does steal, kill, and destroy. That's very interesting. I like it!! :)

    ReplyDelete