Monday, November 29, 2010

Got victory?

There's a story in Exodus 17 where the Israelites were attacked by the nation of Amalek as they were journeying toward the promised land. So, Moses chose Joshua and told him to gather the warriors and go fight while Moses stood on top of a nearby hill and watched. But he didn't just watch, he held up his hands.

And when Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and when he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. Exodus 17:11

So, I asked God what does this raising of the hands mean? And I heard the following words: Praise, submission and worship. To confirm, I searched Scripture for the raising of hands and here's what I found.

And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. Then all the people answered, “Amen, Amen!” while lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground. Nehemiah 8:6


Hear the voice of my supplications.When I cry to You, When I lift up my hands toward Your holy sanctuary. Psalm 28:2


Thus I will bless You while I live;I will lift up my hands in Your name. Psalm 63:4

Let my prayer be set before You as incense,The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141:2


Let us lift our hearts and hands To God in heaven. Lamentations 3:41


I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; Timothy 2:8

 Are you or someone you love being attacked by the enemy? Is there some spiritual battle going on in your life? I have several battles going on in my family. Battles for lost loved ones, battles for marriages, for finances, for health.  I'm not saying that every problem is an attack of the enemy. Some problems we have brought on ourselves, others are just a part of this fallen world. But if you've turned to God and asked for His help, chances are Satan has sent his evil forces to stop whatever good thing God is planning.

I believe in this story in Exodus 17, God has given us the formula for victory over the enemy. And that is praise, worship, and submission. Instead of complaining about your circumstances or worrying or fretting or wallowing in self-pity and depression, try thanking God in advance for answering your prayer. And then take it a step further, try praising Him for coming to your rescue. Praise Him for the victory before it ever happens. Praise Him for who He is and Praise Him because He loves you and He will answer your prayer. I'm a firm believe that there is huge power in Praise! All of heaven looks down and the angels stand in awe when one of us lowly creatures praises God for something we haven't seen happen yet.

Now, I'm not talking about a way to manipulate God into doing what you've asked Him. In fact, God's victory may be something completely different than you had in mind! I'm talking about taking a step of faith into the Spiritual realm and actually taking God at His word. I'm sure you can find Scripture after Scripture that you can apply to your specific problem.   So take those promises and praise God in the midst of your battle. And I guarantee the enemy will scatter!  And if the battle goes on too long and you get weary, enlist some friends to help you pray like Moses got Aaron and Hur to hold up his hands. You don't have to go it alone.

Here's 4 things I've noticed that happen as a result of continual praise in the midst of battle
1. Freedom from Depression.
2. Increased Faith
3. Power over the enemy
4. Victory.

Try it. What have you got to lose?

9 comments:

  1. I've never thought of it that way before, MaryLu. I've always known it's important to praise God instead of continually asking for things, but I never thought of the rewards He would give me for praising Him. If those four things you listed are the rewards God gives for us praising Him, I think I need to do it more, because I want and need those things.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon Nov 29th,
    Morning, MaryLu.
    Thank-you for today's blog. Praise and thank Him ... even before He's answered ... ahhhh, "if only" I would remember to 'always' do that !!!
    Thanks for the "timely Words" !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. [sigh] It seems as if the battles in my family are never over. They just happen to lie in hiding, waiting for the most opportune moment to cause chaos in our lives. Its getting wearisome dealing with all of them. Thank you for the post. It meant a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, MaryLu - I really needed this today! I'm facing a very challenging and confusing family problem right now, and God keeps telling me that He's got the end of it all planned out, but I need to trust in Him and not try to fix the problem on my own. Your post today really solidified that for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. We may not see the victory in this life on some of the trials that we face, but if we give God our praise and glory, we are still victorious!
    I'm reminded of the poem, Footprints in the Sand. It is during the hard times that God carries us. If God didn't carry me with His Grace through the hard times, I wouldn't make.
    His mercies are new every morning...

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great thoughts, ladies! Thank you. It sounds like some of you definitely share my burden for lost loved ones. It can be so wearisome just like you said, Eszter. But that's why the Bible calls our life here a battle. It's not supposed to be easy. We'll have eternity to take it easy!
    I love that poem, Footprints in the Sand, too, Sheri. And yes, Brenda, it's easy for us to praise God now.. but when bad things happen, I never seem to remember, at least not the first thing I do, which is usually whine like a baby. LOL
    And Sasafras, I'm glad the post inspired you. You are greatly loved by God.
    Listen to God, Sapphire.. He does have the end all planned out. I know that's true in all of our cases, no matter what we are struggling with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks...how I need this. Have to take hub to dr. who did triple bypass 2 wks.ago; strange town...rainy day...I am anxious so will definitely try the PRAISE.
    And ladies, pls. pray for his recovery and me as nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, MaryLu. Our pastor was talking about a sacrifice of praise on Sunday. When we praise when we don't feel like it, a special grace is imparted to us.

    I wish I would always remember this too. But then we writers would be out of a job. We all need reminders. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie, I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. I'll be praying for a safe journey and for your hubby's full recovery! Sing praises in the car as you drive!
    Thanks Helen... these posts are as much a reminder for me as anyone. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete