Monday, December 13, 2010

Don't be a burnt pancake!

Ephraim mixes himself among the peoples courting the favor of first one country, then another; Ephraim is a cake not turned. Strangers have devoured his strength, and he knows it not; yes, gray hairs are sprinkled here and there upon him, and he does not know it. Hosea 7:8-9

I ran across this phrase 'cake not turned' here in Hosea the other day and I stopped to think about it. I pictured this pancake bubbling and sizzling on the griddle, ready to be flipped so it's other side can be cooked, but nobody flips it over. So, what happens? It gets burned and is good for nothing but to be thrown in the garbage. You see, Ephraim was a tribe of Israel and indicative of what happened to all of Israel when they mixed with the heathen people around them and hence, turned away from God.

I think there's an avid warning in here from God. Basically He's saying Don't mix with the world. You see, the world and the culture around us has a very strong  appeal. Riches, fame, beauty, success, power, popularity.. whatever it might be that attracts you.
What are you courting today? Is there some area in your life where you are towing the line, flirting with the things of the world? Whether it be something as blatant as considering sex outside of marriage or drinking too much alcohol or taking drugs or stealing something or whether it be something as "innocent" and subtle as watching a TV show or movie that you shouldn't watch or engaging in gossip or cheating on your taxes. If you continue to Flirt with these things, believe me, you'll give in eventually (Take it from someone who knows!)

But then read the rest of the verse. Strangers have devoured his strength and gray hairs are sprinkled upon him and he doesn't know it!  I read this as meaning that when you mix with the world, the world steals all your strength and makes you old before your time.  You might still be saved and going to heaven, but your life here on earth would have been a waste. Do you know someone like this? I've seen countless "Christians" who have one foot in the Kingdom and one foot in the world and they are the most miserable people I know. And as they age, they seem to only get more and more depressed and angry. They do indeed seem much older than they are. Don't let that happen to you!  Don't be a burned pancake!!! The things of the world will NOT make you happy. It's a lie. I know. Because I've been on both sides and I can honestly say I will NEVER go back.

Do not love or cherish the world or the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life  Matthew 16:26

7 comments:

  1. Monday, Dec 13th ...
    Morning, MaryLu.
    Thanks for yet another good post ... 'a timely Word in due season' ! How we as Christians, need to hear this over and over. Thank the Lord, that we have a wonderful, caring, forgiving, and patient Father !!! But, we definitely "need" to take a stand for Him ... and not be standing on 'both sides of the fence' !
    Thanks, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title grabbed my attention this morning. :) Great devotional and I agree. The tastes of the world might seem like a wonderful thing, but it only gives momentary satisifaction. God gives eternal life to those that love and do what He says. I would much rather spend eternity with Him, than a moment of "bliss" here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post, MaryLu. Every time I make pancakes, I will think about this message....I know a lot of people who are teetering on the fence. The sad part is that they don't even know it. It makes me want to grab their arm and yank them off the fence, but it has to be their decision.....but, I can plant a 'splinter' of faith under their foot to lean them more in the right direction. *<<<-

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Debbie said...it is an excellent post...THANKS! I have wondered why a certain person is always angry.....never thought of it as not being completely "in" as a Christian! Wow.....pls. pray for the person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the post blessed you all! I, too, know people who teeter on the fence. It's such a dangerous and unfulfilling place to be, if only they knew! I'd almost wish they were atheists! Then at least I could witness to them, but they already know the gospel and think they're okay. The only thing to do is pray, right? But the "Fervent prayer of the Righteous avails much!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary thought. I did have to stop and think about my life, my thoughts. I fervently hope that with God's grace, I never fulfill some of the things that run through my head on occasion. And I have seen people become less and less Christ-like over the years and more like the world, and it's not pretty. One of them is my best friend from many years back. I just get scared for them and I really start praying for them, but I also end up doing soul-searching of my own.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sasafras: If you recognize those thoughts as ones planted by Satan, then you can rebuke them. The fact that you do soul-searching now and then, it shows that you are on the right track. It is those that follow their own paths that end up on the wrong side of the tracks. Keep praying for them..........and know that you are not alone. We all have to do a gut check now and then. God bless.

    ReplyDelete