Monday, February 21, 2011

Don't worship giants!

But his fellow scouts said, We are not able to go up against the people of Canaan, for they are stronger than we are. So they brought the Israelites an evil report of the land which they had scouted out, saying, The land through which we went to spy it out is a land that devours its inhabitants. And all the people that we saw in it are men of great stature.There we saw the Nephilim, or giants, the sons of Anak, who come from the giants; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.  Numbers 13: 31-33

You know the story. Moses drags the million or so people of Israel from Egypt and brings them to the promised land. That beautiful land flowing with milk and honey that God promised to give to them. So, they send some scouts in to check things out. Out of the 12 scouts, only two, Joshua and Caleb, give a positive report. The other 10 respond as you read above.

Every time I read this, I always say to myself.. what a bunch of ninnies. How could they not believe God would help them defeat all their enemies? I mean, God already promised them over and over to give them the land and He'd already preformed countless miracles for them.  But then God put me in my place. He always does it so quietly and gently. He simply said, "Don't you do the same thing with your problems?"

Ouch. Yes. I do. All the time. Something bad happens. Or a situation develops that seems impossible. And I start to worry. Yes, I pray. I've at least grown that much in my walk. I pray. But then I worry! How is God going to do this? The problem is so big. It's a huge problem. There seems to be no way out.  Things like a lost loved one who is "seemingly" drifting further and further away from God,  a lost job with no prospects in sight, overwhelming financial problems, ill health with no cure, a broken relationship that seems irreparable.. whatever it is.. I worry.  I pray, let it go, but then I worry again. You see, I'm a chronic worrier. It's a family trait. And it's a very hard habit to break.

But then I read something in a devotional the other day.  "Whatever occupies your mind the most becomes your God. Worries, if indulged, become idols.

Yikes!  When I worry, I'm basically telling God like the ten scouts above, "The problem is too big. I don't think you can handle it!"   I'm giving the problem more credit and more power than God. In essence, I'm worshiping it. Boy, did that set me straight! Because I know there's nothing and no one more powerful than God. No situation, no relationship, no job, no lost lost loved one, no health problem, no heartache. Nothing. Nada. Zip

Remember how David went out to fight the giant, Goliath, when everyone else was shaking in their boots?
Don't worship the giants in your life!  In reality, you (with God) are the giant, and the giants are but grasshoppers in God's sight.
So, don't be a grasshopper. Be a giant killer!  Trust God. Cast your cares upon Him because He cares for you!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. Very true. If we keep our eyes focused on the Savior, everything else will be small in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you, MaryLu, for putting me in my place. I worry so much about my children...all the time. I, too, pray about it, but sometime down the road, there I am, worrying again. I believe that stress has a major part in my high blood pressure. (and a bit inherited) This is a very powerful message and I appreciate you posting it. I really need to become a 'David' in times of crisis. I need to stand tall and face my stress triggers, because God is right there beside me. I am going to copy down the last lines of this post and laminate it. Then, I will put it where I can see it every day. It will keep me in check when I feel the 'giant' coming at me. Thanks again, Cap'n! I pray you are enjoying your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mon Feb 21st,
    "Afternoon, MaryLu".
    "If" we are honest with ourselves ... we can "all" identify with today's post. We're women, some of us are mothers ... I think we come 'built this way' ... we just 'naturally' worry !!! And yet, God, wants us to 'learn' to "cast all of our cares/worries/burdens upon Him" ! He is greater, than whatever our greatest problem seems to be. Now, we just need to remember that. Thank-you, MaryLu ... for sharing this great message ... that we can be 'giant killers' !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really put things into perspective for me today. My family and I are dealing with a few different troubles that have been thrown our way, and I've been struggling quite a bit. But reading this jerked me back into reality to make me realize that God is still in control no matter what and that He is always with me and bigger than the situation at hand. No matter how big the problem is, God is bigger! Thanks, MaryLu!
    Nicole S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wake up call for me. Lately, I've had some serious curve balls thrown my way, and it was really hard not to become depressed with it all. But lately, I've had the feeling that God didn't want me to just take it, but to stand up anyways and continue to put Him first-He's always in control. I think that He's trying to teach me something. Anyways, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here in the Austin airport.. finally on the internet and your comments, ladies, really blessed me. I'm so glad this post helped you all. It's as much a message for me as for anyone else as I struggle with worry and fear daily. God Bless.! I'm on my way home... yea!

    ReplyDelete