Monday, March 7, 2011

Take off those filthy rags!

 Then the angel showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord (Jesus), and Satan standing at Joshua's right hand to be his adversary and to accuse him. And the Lord said to Satan, The Lord rebuke you, O Satan! Even the Lord, Who chooses Jerusalem, rebuke you! Is not this returned captive Joshua a brand plucked out of the fire?  Zechariah 3

 Are you a brand plucked out of the fire?  If  you don't think you are, then you probably don't truly understand your horrible predicament before you came to know Christ.  We were all brands in the fire, filthy, degenerate, prideful,evil and headed straight toward hell. Some of us were probably much hotter than others (moi included), and took a bit more time to cool off.   :-)

Here's what these verses impressed upon me
  1. It was God who plucked me from the fire. I'd still be there if He hadn't reached down and grabbed me. None of us can come to know Him unless He makes the first move. 
  2. What a frightening and precarious situation I was in before God rescued me. !!! I was burning up and didn't even know it.
  3.  Satan has access to the throne room of God and stands there accusing us day and night. But if you are God's child, God will rebuke him and not listen to him.  (Loved it when God rebuked Satan, basically telling him to shut up!)
Here's the rest of the passage. Picture yourself in place of Joshua, standing in the throne room of God. Jesus is standing beside you. I would guess also present are a host of angels and saints as well as the giant Cerephin who stand before the throne. And Satan is there accusing you. Trouble is, he's not lying. He's telling God about all the rotten things you did last week. The selfish things, the little lies, the jealousy, the lust, the anger, hatred... And it's all true. So, there you stand, condemned, guilty as charged. ......

Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments and was standing before the Angel of the Lord (Jesus). And He spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And He said to Joshua, Behold, I have caused your iniquity to pass from you, and I will clothe you with rich apparel.....So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with rich garments.... And the Angel of the Lord solemnly and earnestly protested and affirmed to Joshua, saying,    Thus says the Lord of hosts: If you will walk in My ways and keep My charge, then also you shall rule My house and have charge of My courts, and I will give you access to My presence and places to walk among these who stand here.

 Love this! Jesus cleanses you of all your sin, takes off your filthy apparel (representing your sins) and clothes you in rich, clean garments.  There's no better picture of the divine grace of God available to us through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross!  So, maybe you've messed up lately. Maybe you done or said things you wished you hadn't... and you're feeling like scum. Sure, you've apologized to whoever you offended and you repented before God, but you still feel horrible, covered with guilt and shame. May I offer that you're probably listening to Satan accuse you before the throne? Stop it! If you're truly repentant, God wants to clothe you in white rich garments. He ignores the taunts of the enemy. And so should you! So, picture yourself standing before him and imagine your filthy rags being removed and a glorious white glittering gown placed over your body.  And the loving admonition of the Father, telling you to walk in His ways and keep His commandments and you will have eternal access to His presence.

And believe me, there's no better place to be!.

7 comments:

  1. Monday, March 7th,
    "Morning, MaryLu".
    Yes, I 'definitely' know, that I am a 'brand plucked out of the fire'. If not for God's great love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness ... I too, would not be where I am today.
    Personally speaking though, I tend to constantly struggle with -- guilt, shame, and, worrying that I have offended someone (unknowingly). You're right ... we know we are guilty (of sinning), so does Satan, and he accuses us daily (and unfortunatley, he does it very well).
    Now, to 'learn' to tune out his voice ... and "believe" what God has to say about us in His Holy Word, as 'God's child'.
    Thank-you for sharing both - the Scriptural verses of our 'filthy rags' being removed from us; and, the visual (picure) .. of standing radiant, and, clean before our God. (I sure don't look at myself that way ... but obviously 'need' to start doing so !!!)
    Thank-you for the encouraging message today ... as I continue to try to -- "walk in His ways, and keep His commandments, to have eternal access to His presence" !!!
    (Hope you were able to finish your edits for today.)
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Zechariah scripture. Thank you for the reminder that we have been clothed with righteousness in spite of our human nature. Isn't God awesome!
    Do you do a lot of writing in the wee small hours? This was posted at 4:00 a.m. Just wondering.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WILL GIVE YOU ACCESS TO MY PRESENCE............enough said! That alone is all the comfort I need. Thank you, MaryLu. May God bless your week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, remember guilt is from Satan, not God. When you feel it, quote from God's word "There is therefore now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus" and tell the devil to get lost!
    I too struggle with worrying about hurting others feelings. I think in my case, it stems from insecurity and a fear of man. I try to remember I only need to please God, not anyone else.
    Randy, yes, God is Awesome! The more I get to know Him, the more in love with Him I am! No, I'm asleep at 4:00 am.. but I have the ability to schedule my posts and I chose 4 because it's 7:00 AM out East.
    Debbie... yes.. access to His presence! What else do we need?
    God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wed March 8th,
    "Morning, MaryLu".
    Thank-you ... I 'needed' that !
    "Insecurity" and "a fear of man" ... yes, I absolutely identify with that !)
    Must "totally" keep remembering -- 'I only "need" to please God'.
    I also, am more in love with God the more I get to know Him ! He is just so -- amazingly awesome !!!
    Thanks again.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like I'm always fighting off guilt from my past sins. Especially when I make up my mind to not do the same one again, and then I find myself doing it again anyways. Let's just say that I'm always praying for God to help me with that. I guess maybe that I'm always fighting off my guilt is because I'm still having issues with feeling worthy of God. I know, I know, we are not worthy by ourselves, only through Jesus Christ. But still, its something that I deal with every day. So thank you for the post. Very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eszter, I struggle with the same things. You're not alone. And you're right, this guilt and these feelings of unworthiness would disappear if we all truly knew deep in our hearts that we are loved beyond measure and unconditionally of anything we can or ever could do. I'm asking God to root and ground me in His love so my heart can heal.. but it's a process. Trust Him to complete it in you. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete