Monday, March 28, 2011

What does a true Christian look like?

I was reading through James and came across these Scriptures once again where James admonishes us to behave in a way worthy of our calling. And it struck me how simple James laid out for us how to be the people God wants us to be. I thought it was worth posting on my blog.

Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry. For man's anger does not promote the righteousness God. 
So get rid of all uncleanness and the rampant outgrowth of wickedness, and in a humble, gentle, modest spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted in your hearts contains the power to save your souls. But be doers of the Word  and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves.  James 1:19-22
But he who looks carefully into the faultless law of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer who obeys, he shall be blessed in his doing.
If anyone thinks himself to be religious and does not bridle his tongue but deludes his own heart, this person's religion is useless. 25-26
  
Simply put.
  • Listen more than you speak.
  • Don't be quick to get upset and offended and angry
  • Have a gentle, humble modest spirit.
  • Get rid of all uncleanliness and wickedness in your life
  • Be a doer of the Word
  • Study the Word
  • Control your tongue

Can you imagine if every Christian did these 7 things daily?  I believe we would set the world on fire with the Truth and Love of God!.

8 comments:

  1. Monday, March 28th,
    "Morning, MaryLU."
    Well ... "AMEM" to this !!! And yes, I totally agree -- that "if" ... every Christian did these seven things daily ... we would set the World on fire with the Truth and Love of God !!!
    Key word being "if" ....
    "Quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry" ; "Bridle the tongue" ; "Doers of the Word and not merely listeners" ; "Persevering" ; "Be humble, gentle and have a modest spirit' ; "Welcome the Word" ... yupp, I'd say I have plenty to be working on still, and, daily !!!
    Thanks MaryLu ... for another 'timely Word' !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. James. I tell you that book radically changed me as a Christian. I had been told forever that the Christian life was about what I did NOT do. Then I read James 4:17: Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

    Suddenly it became clear to me that it wasn't just about a list of "don'ts," I needed to think about what I did. I think the do's are much more important, as your passage points out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to read James again. I haven't for a long time. Thanks for the post-very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! Yes, following Jesus is actually pretty simple. Not easy. But simple. And with the power of the Spirit, we can get better each day.
    And yes.. also knowing what you should do and not doing it can be a sin as well. I don't think that's preached often enough.
    May God bless you week!
    Having some spiritual battles here on my end. Problems with family. But the sun is shining and God is on the throne.. and I'm not letting the enemy have a foothold anywhere near my family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monday, March 28th,
    Heh again, MaryLu.
    Thanks for sharing re - spiritual battles, with family. I'll be praying for and lifting you and your family UP to the Throne of Grace ... to the One Who is able !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, MaryLu.
    I will be praying for you and your family. Keep us in your prayers. We really need to know God's will concerning Jack's job and where we should live. And I'm still not feeling well.
    I will try and keep the seven points in my mind each day.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your prayers, Brenda and Debbie. The Lord never said life would be easy down here. I'm clinging to Him. I'll keep praying for Jack and for you, Debbie, and where you will live. It's so hard to exist in such a state of limbo.
    When we are all in heaven, let's have a latte and laugh about all this mess we endured here? Is it a date?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got it! I will see you there.....although, I am hoping to meet you before then. lol

    ReplyDelete