Monday, April 18, 2011

Because the Lord needs it.

And it came to pass, when He drew near to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mountain called Olivet, that He sent two of His disciples, saying, “Go into the village opposite you, where as you enter you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever sat. Loose it and bring it here.  And if anyone asks you, ‘Why are you loosing it?’ thus you shall say to him, ‘Because the Lord has need of it.’” 
  So those who were sent went their way and found
it just as He had said to them.  But as they were loosing the colt, the owners of it said to them, “Why are you loosing the colt?”
  And they said, “The Lord has need of him.”  Then they brought him to Jesus. And they threw their own clothes on the colt, and they set Jesus on him.  And as He went,
many spread their clothes on the road. Luke 19:29-36


My pastor spoke on this theme yesterday and I thought it was so valuable, I wanted to share it with you.  We've read this story a hundred times about Jesus sending disciples into a nearby village to get a donkey for him to ride into Jerusalem on. But have you ever thought about what really transpired?

Here's an analogy that may put it into perspective. You're in your driveway washing and polishing and waxing your brand new Porsche. Or perhaps, if you're like me, it's a jeep or a truck. It's your only mode of transportation, the only way you have to get to work each day.  And these 2 guys come up and start driving it off.  So you chase them and ask them what they are doing!!  And they tell you "The Lord needs it."

Have you ever wondered about this man? As soon as he heard that, he let them take his donkey, and in Matthew it tells us they not only took his donkey but his colt too.  But this man happily gave them to Jesus. We don't know if he was wealthy or poor. But we can surmise that at some point, he'd had an encounter with Jesus.

So what about you? What would happen if someday the Lord asked you to give him something?  Many of us would say, absolutely, Lord, I'll give you my car! No problem. But what if it is your good health, a boyfriend, a relationship you wanted so badly, a career, your husband, the dream of having a husband. Maybe it is someone you love who the Lord takes home in death. Maybe it's your house. Maybe it's your lifelong dream. 

Then what? I wonder how many of us (and I include myself in this) have held stubbornly onto things when God asked for them. We pretend we don't hear Him.  We think we cannot possibly live without this thing or person.  When in actuality, our love of it is binding us, restricting us, from all God has for us. We must let go and give whatever it is to God.

We don't know what happened to this man who gave up his donkeys so freely. But I would wager he got his donkeys back and much more  in the coming years. Why? Not because he expected to, but  because he gave freely and without hesitation out of his love for Jesus.

Perhaps God seems to be asking for something dear to you today. Maybe it's a loved one, a lost relative, a relationship, an object of great value, a dream. If God is asking for it, it's because He needs it. Not to satisfy His own needs, but because only in His hands can that person or thing flourish. Perhaps you'll get it back someday in much better condition then when you gave it. Perhaps you won't ever get it back.  Whatever happens, we must remember God doesn't take things away from us to punish us or to make us miserable. Everything He does is out of Love. Why? Because He is love and He can't behave any differently. 

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed praised and magnified be the name of the Lord! Job 1:21

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, MaryLu. I needed it this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday, April 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu.'
    In the past, I had thought about this man from the Bible, and his 'willingness' to so readily surrender his donkey and colt ... all because the "Lord had need of it". He neither questioned it, nor argued about it ... He just gave !
    I wonder "how" we would handle a modern-day-scenario situation ... whether or not we would be so willing and obedient to "let go".
    Over four months ago now, I "let go" of an extremely -- troubled, defiant, rebellious and out-of-control son (mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually speaking). I gave him, back to the Lord. Why ? Because I felt it was what -- the 'Lord wanted me to do'; and because, it was the 'right thing to do'. To -- "let go, and let God" be in control. For 27 out of 29 years ... I fought so hard, to try to get this son the help he needed, to live a better, healthier, more responsible and productive life. It was 'me' trying to control him, and, to change him. Estranged from our family, this son has not seen me, nor does he speak to me .. and, for the 'most part' I have peace about it. Not always easy, but ... the Lord is in control, and has a far better plan. Never will I stop loving this son, nor, praying for him.
    Thanks for sharing this MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, MaryLu.
    My pastor spoke on this yesterday as well. He reminded us that Jesus traveled up and down the road to Jerusalem many times and stopped at Bethphage along the way. The owner of the colt had to have known who He was when the disciples took the colt. Jesus would not have asked His disciples to become 'donkey thieves'. lol
    And my pastor also mentioned a cool aspect concerning the colt. Jesus rode into town on a donkey, because donkeys were used for travelers of peace. Horses were used for warriors and kings of that day, such as Pontius Pilate, who was riding into town that same day, on the opposite side of town.
    Jesus entered on a donkey, showing that He was a gentle, loving King of Kings. One day, He will return. Only on that day, He will not be on a gentle donkey, He will be on a mighty horse, ready for battle.
    *****
    I am going to keep polishing my sword, so that when the day comes, I will be prepared to fight beside the true King of Kings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ladies! Brenda, as you know I can relate a bit to your story about your son. It's so hard for us to step out of the way and let God deal with our loved ones. Especially our children. But the Lord hath need of your son. And He will make all things new!
    Debbie, our pastor also mentioned the donkey of peace and the horse of war. Keep polishing your sword! Amen. I'm looking forward to riding that horse beside my Lord and welding my sword! I hope I can bring my pirate cutlass. I'm very fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, is that something to think about. I never really thought of it that way. If God were to ask me for something precious, would I have the courage to give it freely as the man who gave the donkey? I honestly don't really know. But its definetely something for me to think and pray about. thanks for the post MaryLu!

    ReplyDelete