Monday, May 9, 2011

Check the top of your head!

People don't really talk about crowns in our day and age. I believe the Queen of England still wears a crown from time to time, and perhaps some other monarchs throughout the world, but you just don't see crowns everywhere!  Interestingly enough, the Bible is full of crowns.  I did a brief search and came up with some interesting results.

Traditionally in history a crown represented power and authority.  But it also represented so much more than that. A crown could also represent legitimacy, immortality, righteousness, victory, triumph, resurrection, and honor. It was typically made of gold and adorned with various precious jewels which signified the glory of the person wearing it.

Did you know that according to Scripture, if you belong to God, you already are wearing a crown?  You may not feel like you're wearing a crown. But I believe it is a spiritual crown, a crown that's very real in the spiritual realm and something that can be seen by angels and demons alike. Check it out!

For You have made him (man) a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor Psalm 8:5

Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies Psalm 103:4

For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victor Psalm /149:4

Blessings crown the head of the righteous  Proverbs 10:6
The prudent are crowned with knowledge Proverbs 14:18
Everlasting joy will crown their heads Isaiah 35:10
Crown of beauty instead of ashes Isaiah 61:3
A crown that lasts forever 1 Corinthians 9:25
The victor's crown 2 Tim 2:5

Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day 2 Tim 4:8

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.  James 1:12

And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. 1 Peter 5:4

Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown. Revelation 2:10

 
Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. Rev 4:4

Each child of God is crowned already with glory, honor, lovingkindness, tender mercies, life, victory, gold, righteousness, eternity, everlasting joy, blessings, knowledge and beauty. Sounds like a pretty exquisite crown to me! And when we get to heaven, we'll get an actual crown of gold, a victor's crown!


My husband got a glimpse into the spiritual realm at the moment of his salvation. He  was up on the hill behind my house at the time. He told me he saw beams of light shooting up from the city straight into heaven. Later after we spoke, we both came to the conclusion that these beams must have been Christians. Maybe it was their glowing crowns?  Interesting that we are marked like that and the enemy knows full well who we are. I imagine the closer we get to Jesus, the brighter we become. Cool, huh?

Next time you think you're nobody, or you just feel down about life, picture yourself wearing this marvelous crown and recite the list of it's attributes!  Then be faithful, be joyful, be strong, and praise Almighty God!
For as Revelation 3:11 says, 

I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one takes away your crown.

7 comments:

  1. Monday, May 9th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    A very interesting and humbling blog today. I've never really 'pictured myself' wearing a crown ... and yet I know what the Bible says about it. Probably, it's because I don't see myself as royalty, nor worthy of such.
    However ... what I think/feel/see is not of much importance ... it's what God and His Word has to say about it all. And, if He says 'I am crowned already as His child' ... then, so be it !!!
    Though very humbling and sobering, along with the responsibility of trying to live out a righteous and faithful life on this Earth (worthy of His calling) ... may I (and, we 'all') ... "Hold on to what you have, so that no one takes away your crown".
    Thanks, MaryLu, for this great reminder.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this post. What an awesome thought! :o) Thank you so much for sharing. I'll be thinking about this all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Cap'n. As you know, the Bible also says that our gray hair is a crown! Prov. 16:31 says 'Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life.' So, we are doubly blessed with crowns! At least, that is how I like to think of it. This is the verse that keeps me from dying my hair. It may sound silly, but it makes me feel closer to God when I see gray hairs. I feel like if I cover them up, I am covering up my crown. No disrespect towards anyone who dyes their hair; this is just how I feel. Everyone has their own ways of thinking and doing things. That is what makes us special and unique.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thought! I've never taken the time to look at all the verses that talk about our crowns all together like this. Thanks for sharing, MaryLu! {:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ladies! I had never thought about crowns much either. But it's cool to think about them. And humbling, like you said Brenda. I mean who are we that God would even notice us, much less crown us?
    I love the gray hair crown, Debbie. Although I do admit to being one of those ladies who dyes her hair. I'm not quite ready to wear that gray crown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand about the hair dying. Other than some of the ladies in my Bible Study (in their 70's-80's)most every woman I know dyes her hair. To each his own, right? *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool!
    Love this post, MaryLu!!!
    ~Abigail=D

    ReplyDelete