Monday, July 11, 2011

Why do we have such a hard time trusting God?

I know so many believers who seem to fall apart under trial. When things don't go their way, their first response is "How could God let this happen?" Then they whine and complain and feel sorry for themselves.  I know other believers who have been praying for something very important to them for a long while and they get weary and start to lose hope and faith that their prayers will ever get answered. 
I'm not picking on these people. I've been one of them!

Lately God has shown me that one of the main reasons for lack of trust in His children is because they don't know Him. They just don't know His character and more importantly, they don't know how Good He is. So, I thought I'd expound on the goodness of God in the hopes that it would help you (and me) rest more easily as we trust in Him.

First of all, consider creation. God didn't have to make the world so beautiful for us to survive here. He didn't have to create flowers and herbs and mountains, oceans (my personal favorite), white beaches and turquoise waters! He didn't have to create waterfalls and glaciers and prairies, and adorable animals. Also, He didn't have to create such a wide variety of food that tastes good. But He did.

Friendship, love, marriage, laughter, the ability to work, skills, music, story, family--these are all things God created on this earth for our enjoyment and fulfillment. God has good plans for us. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope  Jeremiah 29:11

As I read through the Scriptures, it just astounds me at how forgiving and loving God is. Take the Israelites, for example. How often did they turn away from Him. How often did they worship other gods? Or complain and grumble? Each time God forgave them. The moment they turned back to them, He was there bailing them out, blessing them with abundance.

God is the source of every good thing: Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow (James 1:17).

God does not withhold anything that is good from His children: For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11).


God won't allow anything to happen to His children that is NOT good: And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).

 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love. Ephesians 1:3-4


The goodness of God is evident in that He sent His only beloved Son to be rejected of men, suffer, and die on a cross so that mankind could be reconciled to God. He didn't have to do this. He owed us nothing. We are the ones who rejected Him, who like rebellious children, ran away to do our own thing.

God's goodness is the summation of His entire character. He is not only good. He is the essence of good. His mercy, grace, faithfulness, kindness, righteouness, power, justice, even His wrath.. it is all good. And perfect and holy.  God can not be anything but good. It would go against His nature.
So the next time it appears your prayers aren't gettting answered or something horrible happens to you, no matter how hard it is, believe that God is allowing it for your good. He's delaying the answer to your prayer or perhaps working on it or perhaps the answer is no because God knows it would be bad for you if He answered yes.
 And that bad situation, He's using for your good! You may not see it or understand it. But I can guarantee that if you believe in God's goodness, you'll have much more peace, no matter what happens to you. Just trust Him. Trust that God is good. And you'll make God happy in the process.

10 comments:

  1. Monday, July 11th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Loved this post today ! How true ! If I were to answer the title of your blog 'correctly' ... and 'bluntly' ... I'd say 'we' (in general) have such a hard time 'trusting God' ... because, basically ... we are selfish, demanding, rebellious children ... wanting things "our own way" ... and not the Will of God.
    In my 'younger years' ... I was exactly that way. I wanted what I wanted, when I wanted it !!! In fact, I would literally -- beg God for something, even, demanded it of Him at times. And you know what happened ??? "Sometimes", God allowed me to have the very thing I begged for and demanded of Him. And, those turned out to be the things I was sorriest for, later ! They did NOT bring -- happiness, joy, contentment, peace, etc. For, I had not prayed ... for "God's Will to be done" .... but only 'mine' !!! (Major train-wreck !!!)
    Fortunately, and although I tend to be a slow-learner at times ... over the years of experience and learning more and more about God, who He is, and His amazing -- forgiveness, love and goodness ... I have 'finally' learned to "trust Him" !!! He loves us with an everlasting love ... He is our Father - Abba - Daddy ... He "truly" knows best !!!
    So 'now', when I am praying/asking about something .... I always say: "YOUR WILL be done, oh Lord ... not mine." This has truly, brought me much more peace ... allowing 'God to be God', and 'me letting go' of a situation, or whatever. He WILL work it out for the good (whatever that may be) ... I absolutely know this !!! I do trust HIM (not myself) ... for 'He sees' the beginning to the end.
    Sometimes, trusting can be difficult for people to do ... but, oh, the peace it brings ... when we "allow" our Heavenly Father to be in control !
    Thanks again MaryLu. Great post !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, MaryLu. Such words of wisdom about our gracious Heavenly Father. I have someone I love very much who struggles with this very thing and I will be sending this to her this morning. At my age (56), not only does He work things just for good but it is always, always for the BETTER. It is the hard and difficult times where you discover what a sweet and loving God He is. The tender mecies He pours out on us during these times, if we seek Him and allow Him to do His work, are priceless. It's like having a good friend who always stands with you even when it is hard and everyone else exits. This kind of relationship builds faith rather than destroys it. But we have to be willing to put our hand in His. Thanks for this blessing of a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Hard times are so much harder when we start feeling as if God isn't there. But I love how, especially in the midst of hard times, God sends beauty and love and light our way to give us hope. To help us to remember that we are not alone. The feeling of being alone is so hard, but I can think of several occasions where God has reminded me that He is with me through the use of a beautiful song, a cool breeze, a kind word from a friend, and even in the wild beauty of a thunderstorm. God IS with me, and in everything around me He has created things especially for the purpose of giving me hope. THAT is what I cling to the hardest whenever things are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MaryLu! Great post! This fits right in with what I taught in Sunday School a couple of Sundays ago. I used Jeremiah 29:11 to teach the children how the 'bad' times are always used for our good. Kids go through so much in public school these days; they need the reassurance that God is with them at all times. They are the future and we need to teach them to be strong and to trust God. Thanks for posting this and keep them coming! I will definitely add this to my 'MaryLu' devotions that I've saved. God bless your week. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that this most likly to sound strange, but when I am going through trials adn storms I grew closer to God, I run to Him; because to me at that point He's all that I've got left.

    It's when things that are going good that I "forget" that it's all because of God. I know that makes me werid, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Carissa: You are not weird. You are doing exactly what you are supposed to do. We should always consider ourselves blessed whenever we are being attacked by satan; while going through trials and storms; it means that we are on the right track and that frightens satan. So, keep making satan afraid, Carissa, make him run for the hills! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Brenda, I agree! We are all such selfish demanding kids... I often wonder why God puts up with us! But like I said in my post.. it's because He is good. I, too, am a slow learner. It's so hard when bad things happen to still believe God loves me and that He is good. I love how you've changed your prayers to "Your will be done!"

    Pam, I do hope the post helps your friend. And I agree, it's the hard times when we grow closer to God and see Him for who He really is. Like you said.. He's a good friend who never leaves you.

    Sasafras, absolutely. We are never alone! Sometimes it's so hard to remember that.

    Debbie, if my kids were young, I doubt I'd send them to public school.. at least if I had a choice. I think kids have it so much harder today than when we were young. God bless you for bringing them an encouraging word!

    Carissa, not strange at all. I think that's why God allows trouble to come our way some time. He wants us to grow closer to Him. Because in the long run.. that will be the best thing for us.

    Thanks for your comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Marylu, for writing posts that pose questions that many Christians find hard to answer and avoid because of the guilt of their own conscience. Thank you for writing BIBLICALLY and not throwing out the whole "God loves you and it's all good" bunk. Thank you for writing books that I love and actually benefit from. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And thank you, Kath, for blessing my evening! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete