Monday, August 15, 2011

The Immortals

I've been trying to get my mind around this concept because I know when I do, I'll be a lot less afraid, a lot less anxious, a lot more excited, and will find much more meaning in this life.

And that concept is:  We are already living in eternity. 

I know.. I know.. you're saying yes, I already know that. But do you? You are already living in the Kingdom of Heaven. The only problem is, that Kingdom is in a different dimension and we can't observe with our physical senses for the time being. But  it's here, anyway. Read through Jesus's words in the Gospels. He spoke more about the Kingdom of God then he did many other things.

Do a search on Kingdom in the gospels.. heres just a few instances that come up out of dozens:
From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matt 4:17
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you Matt 6:33
Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

 Matt 9:35
But if I cast out demons with the finger of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you Luke 11:20

Many people in this world, even Christians view life here on earth as one phase of existence. Then we die and our spirits go to heaven. Not so.  We never cease to exist. When our phyiscal bodies finally give up on us, we just shed them like a pair of scraggly overalls and step out of them into the dimension where the spirit world exists. Yes, we will ascend to heaven where the throne of God is, but that isn't our final home, either. Before Jesus comes to earth again, we will get a spirit body, but it will be one that is recognizable by others. After Jesus sets up His rule on earth, we will get a real physical/spiritual body that according to Paul will never grow old or get sick....  (I'm very excited about this!)

So it is with the resurrection of the dead. The bodythat is sown is perishable and decays, but the body that is resurrected is imperishable (immune to decay, immortal). It is sown in dishonor and humiliation; it is raised in honor and glory. It is sown in infirmity and weakness; it is resurrected in strength and endued with power. It is sown a natural (physical) body; it is raised a supernatural (a spiritual) body.  1 Corinthians 15: 42-
So aside from being pretty cool, why is this important?
The things you learn now, the things you study, the skills you acquire, your talents, desires.. they all go with you!  They won't be wasted. They are not useful just in this world. You can already be preparing for eternity. Let's say you love to dance or act or sing, and you've spent years of your life perfecting your talent, but as you grow old, you've never really had a chance to use your that talent. Perhaps you will later on, after you've shed your earthly body.  I know many people who are bitter because they never got their shot in life. Maybe they studied writing and wrote for years but never got published, or maybe they pursued politics or law but never got elected.

What I want everyone to understand (including myself!) is that this is not the end!  You can and will fulfill your destiny beyond the grave. Yes, God has things for us to do here, but I believe He has even more things for us to do in eternity.  I know some people in the last phase of their life who feel as though they've wasted their lives, that they've spent too many years without God and never did anything valuable. And although that is sad and they could have had a much fuller life following God, they still have a destiny in eternity. God is so gracious and merciful!
There are only two kingdoms in this world. And everyone you meet is in one or the other. Every single person you meet is either in the kingdom of God or the kingdom of darkness. Every person you meet is either doomed to an eternity without God or part of your heavenly family. It's actually a very sobering thought and will make you look at people with more care and more senstitivy.

Either way, we are all immortals. So, I encourage you, make the most of your eternity today!

8 comments:

  1. Mon Aug 15th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Thank-you, again, for another timely word ....
    You are absolutely right ... on how we live now is how we are being prepared for 'eternity'. And, that there are more things for us to do in eternity. Extremely sobering thought and message !!! I was 'trying' to find a verse in the Bible that tells us to -- 'Set eternity in our hearts' ... but alas, I could not find it (I'll keep looking).
    Knowing that everyone is either in -- the Kingdom of God, or, the kingdom of darkness ... 'should' truly cause us to look at people with more care and sensitivity. Talk about a 'reality-check' and a 'wake-up-call' !!!
    Thanks again, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never really thought about it in this light. I think I need to do some studying. Thank you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, MaryLu, as usual. Thank you for giving all of us a lot to think about. 'Never grow old or sick' Oh what joy! I can't wait! May God bless your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies! Yes, I know this topic needs further research, but I really believe it. We know from Scripture that we will have our memories after death.. so why not our talents, skills and desires? These are all part of our soul, our inner man.
    Anyway, I'm trying to think more about eternity.. picturing myself already there, no matter that my body seems to be decaying! Yes, never grow old or sick!! How wonderful huh?
    So good to hear from all of you, Brenda, you are so faithful to comment every week! I look forward to hearing from you! SHeri, my first mate who has done so much for me. And Chaplain Debbie who's always there for me. Thank you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I never thought about it that way before. I tend to think that I am eternal (minus my body), but eternity begins when I get to heaven. This is just the preperation phase. I definitely need to dig into the Word on this. Thanks for the insight and sharing what the Lord is teaching you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hugs* to me Cap'n! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAVING RECENTLY LOST MY MOM TO A LONG AND VICIOUS BATTLE WITH CANCER, THIS WAS VERY COMFORTING AND ENCOURAGING TO ME. I ESPECIALLY LOVE THE PART WHERE YOU SAID, "WE NEVER CEASE TO EXIST". SEEMS THAT WHEN WE PUT SOMEONE IN THE GRAVE, THEY NO LONGER EXIST TO US, EXCEPT IN MEMORY. BUT YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! THANK YOU FOR BRINGING GOD'S WORD TO ME AT A TIME WHEN I NEEDED IT MOST. GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you hear that a lot, but I truly mean it. I hate death. And the sorrow it brings.
    I'm so glad the words God gave me brought you comfort. :-) Your Mom is alive...just in another demension and with the Lord! You'll see her again some day.

    ReplyDelete