Monday, October 31, 2011

Be a dog for Jesus!

I love animals, always have. My mother didn't let us have dogs or cats growing up so I had fish. And although fish are peaceful and beautiful to look at, they just don't inspire much affection!  Although I'm more of a cat person now, I adore dogs. They offer that unconditional love that we all are seeking from each other.

Just think of what a dog is like. He's faithful, loyal, always loving and adoring his master. When his master chastises him, the dog is repentant and sad. He never holds a grudge and always wants to please his master. Whenever the master goes, the dog wants to come along, and whereever the master stays, the dog sits by his feet.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could be like that with Jesus? I believe that's how we are supposed to behave. Yet I find that so many Christians behave more like cats than dogs. They are aloof, distant from God, forcing Him to move toward them first, rather than running into his arms. They raise their noses and behave as if the world revolves around them. They are picky with the gifts God gives them, sometimes even rejecting them and walking away. If you've ever owned a cat, you know what I'm talking about! I can never get my cats to do anything I say. They don't come when called. They hide when they know I'm looking for them. They sleep half the day and only give me a cursory glance when I walk into the room.

Oh, how horrible to behave that way with God!!!
Hear the words of Jesus

If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.  John 12:26

Did you notice that Jesus said that where He was, His servants would be also?  He didn't say that where His servants were, there He would be also. Yes yes, Jesus is always with us in the sense that He indwells us. But I'm talking about who's following who? How often do we head out on a certain course without consulting God, without praying and waiting for his answer? Whether it be a new job, a decision about a relationship, school, or a trip, we forge ahead and then pray for God to bless it.  I can't tell you the times I've heard "I'm just hoping God will bless my efforts." 

Are you in His will? Did He lead you to this spot? If so, then of course He'll bless what you're doing. If not, I'd be on my knees finding out if I've headed out to sea without Jesus as the captain of my ship! And if He's not the captain, I'd be worried about who is!

And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice John 10:4

So, I challenge you to analyze your reationship with God. Are you more like a cat? Are you indifferent, even unresponsive to God? Do you run and hide when He's looking for you? Is it all about what God can do for you?
Or, like a dog, is there no place you'd rather be than at the feet of your Master?

11 comments:

  1. Monday, Oct 31st,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    What an excellent post ! I had never thought of it before in quite this light ... but, oh, how true !!! Dogs are indeed most -- faithful, loving, giving, attentive, and ... obedient. Cats, as you say are totally opposite. It's on "their terms ... their way or the highway" ! (Although I am a cat-lover too.)
    Wow ... I sure hope I'm not becoming 'just like my cat' ! Oh Lord ... please help me to be 'more like a dog' !
    Thanks MaryLu .... excellent post ! Brought it all totally to life !
    Hope all is well.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I have never really thought about this! I love dogs. I always thought I was more of a cat person until I got my dog. I am definitely a dog person now, but I still like cats. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent word picture, MaryLu! May God help us to be more dog-like than cat-like! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pictures, MaryLu! lol
    This is a really good post and it makes sense. Thanks.
    ---
    Could you tell me about fasting?
    Like I read about it in the bible but I'm not sure about when/if I should fast?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! GLad the post blessed you. Regarding fasting, all I've learned from Scripture is that as followers of Jesus, we will be called to fast now and then. Jesus doesn't say if we'll fast, He says when. The Holy Spirit will tell you when you need to fast. Sometimes, when God p;uts someone on my heart and I'm praying for them, I get a sense that I should fast for them. So I do.. I'll skip a meal and pray for that person. Later on, I'll discover that they were going through a really rough time that day. I should write a post about fasting someday. At least my experiences with it. It's a powerful tool against the enemy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, MaryLu, it is so true! Sometimes my dogs are too loyal to me and I just want them to leave me alone. But, I know that God will never get tired of my loyalty, no matter how clingy I get.
    As for fasting, I have found times when I feel the need to fast 'things' rather than food. To just turn everything off and pray for someone. I'm not sure if the Bible states that it has to be 'food' that you fast, but this is my thought on it: Anything that's a struggle to stop doing, eating, tv, video games, etc, would count towards 'fasting'. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that sounds very good Debbie.
    Espcially if you're watching something you shouldn't, not watching tv might curb that.
    I happen to be someone who eats when I'm bored, but that's a waste of time when you could be praying. Plus I think of the movie 58.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as I know the Bible doesn't specifically mention fasting as being anything besides not eating. However, it seems to me that if you deny yourself anything that causes you pain to lose, that sacrifice in the name of faith pleases In fact whenever you deny yourself in order to pray and seek God, mighty things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, MaryLu, for this devotion, how does the title "Mangy Cur? Fer Sure!" Or is that 'too pirate'?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post MaryLu! Sorry I didn't get to it right away. And I love the picture of the cat sticking its tongue out. Lol :D

    ReplyDelete