Monday, June 18, 2012

Want to be picked for an adventurous task?

But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also utensils of wood and earthenware, and some for honorable and noble use and some for menial and ignoble use. 2 Tim 2:20 Amplified


http://goremasternews.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/
Any good captain aboard a ship knew most of his crew pretty well. He knew the men who worked hard, who studied and learned well, who didn't shirk their duties. He knew the men who didn't overindulge in drink, who didn't quarrel with others, who didn't gamble away their earnings. He knew the ones who were honest and had integrity. He knew the men he could count on.  So, when he needed to assign someone to a certain task or duty, he knew who he would pick. Especially for the really important tasks (and exciting ones) such plotting the best course to their destination, being in charge of a boarding party or gun crew, evading the enemy in a chase at sea, or going ashore and scouting out enemy territory! 


The other men on board, the ones who didn't measure up, well they never got chosen. The captain still valued them and took care of them, but they didn't get to go on any exciting adventures.


God is much like this good captain. When something happens on earth and He needs to send one of his crew to take care of things, I picture Him scanning the earth, seeking someone fit for the task. The job could be healing someone, delivering food to the poor, taking a stand against the enemy, giving a word of encouragement to someone in need, rescuing someone from Satan's grip..etc.. any number of things.  

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth to show Himself strong in behalf of those whose hearts are blameless toward Him.  2 Chronicles 16:9 Amplified



Trouble is, I wonder how often God's glance passes over me and moves to someone else more fit for the task? How many times has God longed to send me on a grand adventure, but He knew I wasn't ready, wasn't fit? He knew I couldn't handle it.  That really makes me sad. For me and for Him!  

http://alturl.com/fxcwx
In the Scripture above, Paul says that we are either vessels of gold and silver or utensils of wood and earth. The gold and silver vessels are used for honorable work and the others, menial tasks.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to be used for menial tasks! Sounds dreadfully boring.

http://alturl.com/af73g
So how do we become vessels of gold and silver??  Much like on board a ship, you have to obey the rules, study, work hard, be a person of honor and integrity.  Paul expounds on the qualities necessary in the same chapter of 2 Timothy. 

Take  your share of the hardships and suffering which you are called to endure as a good (first-class) soldier of Christ Jesus.  No soldier when in service gets entangled in the enterprises of civilian life; his aim is to satisfy and please the one who enlisted him.  2 Timothy 2: 3-4 Amplified

So,
  • Endure hardships and suffering like a good soldier
  • Don't get entangled in things of this world
  • Make it your aim to satisfy and please God

Further down in the chapter in verses 22-24, there are other instructions for becoming an honorable vessel. I summarize them here

  • Shun youthful lusts and flee from them, and aim at and pursue righteousness 
  • Pursue faith, love, and harmony with others
  • Shut your mind against ill-informed, unedifying, and stupid controversies over ignorant questionings, for you know that they foster strife and breed quarrels.
  • Do not be quarrelsome. 
  • Be kind to everyone 
  • Be a skilled and suitable teacher, patient and forbearing and willing to suffer wrong.

 So whoever cleanses himself from what is ignoble and unclean, who separates himself from contact with contaminating and corrupting influences will then himself be a vessel set apart and useful for honorable and noble purposes, consecrated and profitable to the Master, fit and ready for any good work.  2 Tim 2:21 Amplified

Life been a little boring lately?  Don't feel connected to God? Don't feel useful?   Perhaps you need to ask God to help you do the things above so that together you can transform that clay into gold and silver. Then He just might choose you for His next great assignment! 

I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit on the shelf. I want the abundant life He died and rose again to give me. How about you?

9 comments:

  1. Mon June 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Another great post ! Alas, though ... to your ending questions ('has life been a little boring lately', 'feeling unconected to God', 'don't feel useful') ... they unfortunately express how I am feeling. Likely, I am fearful of 'adventurous tasks' ... just being so very drained from the difficult life scenarios I have had, and still am, experiencing. So, sadly ... "wood and earthenware", "menial uses", and "sitting on the shelf" ... sound more controlled and manageable. I know, how sad, empty, and pitiful is that !!! Maybe, I'm just feeling a tad 'burned out', and used up. But ... do I 'want' the more abundant life our Lord promised ... absolutely !!!
    I just have to "get myself picked up and 'with the program' again". For God is NOT the author of fear, but of love !
    Thank-you for today's post, MaryLu ... and the truths from God's Word shared ! Another blessing indeed ! I am SO very thankful, He is patient and long-suffering, and full of love !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that post. I must say that it hit me...right where it hurts. Maybe I have to say like Brenda, however, that I'm afraid of adventure and unfortunately okay with being bored for a while. I know it might sound dull at the end of my life. But boarding parties and gun crews expose themselves to danger and pain too. Well, thanks for the thought. It will surely go with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ... yes, sometimes the idea of adventure is intimidating and hard to commit to. My first thought was "Hmmm. It depends on the adventure. Can I pick it?" Oh boy. Why is it sometimes so hard to trust that God's got the perfect adventure for us? And that we just need to let God be God and take care of the details. All we have to be is willing to go out where He leads, knowing that He's got this. He's got this.
    I hear ya, Brenda and Diane. I think too that God does give periods of rest, and maybe you're in that place now. He can still use you and teach you in those times, as well as in the times of high adventure and assignment! :) Thank God He is with us in times of rest and adventure ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, Ladies. I didn't mean my post to make any of you feel guilty. Guilt is from the devil so just ignore him. But I do believe so many Christians miss out on adventures out of fear or being unprepared. What if I had not answered God's call to write for Him? I'm not patting myself on the back for that.. He'd been calling for years and I wasn't answering. I'm so glad I finally did! You see, God isn't going to send you on some adventure unless He equips you with everything you need. And remember His will is perfect, pleasing and good.. which means the adventure will end up being something that causes you tremendous joy and fulfillment. Don't listen to the enemy who says God will send you out unequipped and you'll hate it. No way! God isn't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement MaryLu! You're right.
    We just need to trust God to equip us and go out and obey, knowing full well that He's working everything out. Fear can get a hold on us, and it is disabling. I'm thankful that He called you to write, and even if it took you a while before you answered His call, you did it, and many are blessed and encouraged from it! :)
    I love the power of God - for when we feel we are not able, He is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adventure? Hmmm......my life lately has been anything but boring, yet I wouldn't call it an adventure. Or maybe I should. Maybe we should see our trials as adventures. Fighting against our enemy and winning that battle can be quite the adventure! Thank you, Marylu, for yet another inspiring post! Ye be the best Cap'n on the high seas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post MaryLu! How many times does God want to use us, but we are too consumed with other matters to make room for Him and His desires. I truly want to be used of God, to glorify Him in all that I do. Thank you for reminding me of how I can add some adventure to my life through God's amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Debbie, you have seen many adventures lately.. and you and God have been victorious.. rest now.. cause you may have more coming on the horizon!

    Tammy, me too! I often get too busy and too consumed with my life.. I need to be more open to the movement of the Spirit! And be ready by walking close to Jesus every second.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Graham Cooke's perspectives on living in the Spirit ~
    we need to understand 'ebb and flow'~
    seasons in the Spirit just as seasons in nature ~ God's ways revealed..
    'yes' to be a vessel of Honour, but God will choose WHEN and WHERE the vessel is to be used :)

    ReplyDelete