Thursday, November 15, 2012

Democracies always end in Tyranny!

In honor of America's recent election results, I thought I'd offer you some quotes from wise historians long ago.

Alexander Tyler (Tytler) 1747-1813
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."
 
AND
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.” Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859)
 

The good news is, there's a coming Kingdom to this world that will be righteous and just and good and ruled by a King who loves all His subjects and who will never be greedy for power or money, who will never put His own desires above the good of the people, who will never lie, cheat, steal, waste money on frivolous expenditures, who will never unfairly tax the people or restrict their freedom, who will never grow proud or arrogant, who will defend and protect His subjects at all costs. He is the good shepherd, the provider, the healer, the counselor, the Prince of peace. Wisdom sits on His left and Righteousness on His right. He is the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, and of His Kingdom, there shall be no end!

11 comments:

  1. Thurs Nov 15th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well, no contest here ... I wholeheartedly -- vote in, stand with, and elect -- the King of all Kings and Lord of Lords !!!
    His Kingdom and Government is the one I want reigning and am looking forward to being a part of it.
    Amen and Amen, to all that you shared today, MaryLu.
    One day, ahhhh yes, one day .... total truth and righteousness will prevail ! We serve an awesome God and Saviour !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen MaryLu!
    Amen Brenda!
    Profound stuff for sure. I love that line at the end (well all of them, actually!) - "... who will defend and protect His subjects at all costs." Love it! So glad to call Jesus my Leader, my King. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting this, I needed it as I have been so confused over this elections outcome...
    It appears I am not the only one and this too leads to confusion.
    Knowing that the end times will in deed be here eventually helps some in going through this time now, I was happy to be reminded.

    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always felt we were created for a King to led. Democracy never lasts.
    Oh how I long for that day when Jesus makes all thing right and rules the nations with justice and righteousness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to hear an encouraging word now and then. I couldn't agree more! God's Kingdom here on earth will solve all the world's problems. I can't wait!
    Paula, many people are confused and disappointed about the election. For me, I know God has a plan, a certain time table and He's moving the world toward the day when Jesus will return to rule from Jerusalem. We may not understand His methods.. but His results will be fabulous!

    Cathy, I agree. A righteous King is better than any democracy. That day may come sooner than we thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen Hallelujah Thank you Jesus please come quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a sign that is so true; it said "America's problems will not be solved by a donkey or an elephant, but a Lamb."

    ReplyDelete
  8. America is not suppose to be a Democracy, we are actually a Republic. However, our political leaders have seem to have forgotten that long ago. Democracies are scary business when you think about it, especially given the depravity of man. My hope is in the Lord, not in man. My comfort is in knowing that regardless of what happens, God is still in control and that victory is already His! Lord Jesus come quickly!

    Callie, I love that sign! I have seen that posted a bit around FB, and it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Callie, I love that saying on the sign!! Awesome. :-) I'm going to tweet that.

    Emma, you are so right. In my research I discovered the difference between a republic and a democracy. and yes, democracies are much scarier. Our forefathers knew that and tried to put in place measures to prevent it. It worked for awhile, but man's greed for power has taken over.
    Yes, come, Lord Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating quotes; I like the sequence of bondage to Spiritual Faith...". Isn't it just like our own lives and the seasons we grow through?!

    With elections, it always helps me to remember that God puts the leadership in place and whether I like it or not, I can trust that He has a plan and as long as God is in control of it all--which He always is--than I'm good with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes.. God puts Kings on their thrones and removes them.. He's got a plan for this age and He's going to see it through. It truly is a comforting thought!

    ReplyDelete