Monday, November 26, 2012

When you're sinking in quick sand, stand on the truth!

I know so many people who are seriously struggling right now.  Some don't have money to pay the rent, others can't find work, some have life-threatening illnesses, others sick children. Some have wayward kids who break their hearts, others live in fear of the future. Some are having huge marriage problems. The list goes on and on. These are indeed trying times.

I don't know about you but whenever a major problem comes my way, my first reaction is an emotional one. Maybe that's because I'm a woman, I don't know. But I usually start to cry or tremble or even sometimes yell and scream. Then comes the pity party. Why me, Lord?  Why is this happening to me?  When that doesn't make me feel better, I start the blame game. Now, the blame game can include me, as it often does, but it can also include my husband, kids, and friends!  When I'm done with that, I normally roll up my sleeves and try to fix the problem. I come up with a plan of action, talk it over with everyone else involved, and hand out assignments. Don't believe me? Ask my family. (Yes, I'm a bit of a control freak!)

Many of you know the story of King David. He was anointed King of Israel at a very young age by the prophet Samuel. He slew a giant when the entire army of Israel stood trembling in their boots!  He then became a national hero. All the people loved David. But he wasn't king. Saul was king and he became jealous of David. So jealous, in fact, that he sought to kill David. For years and years he chased David around Israel and beyond, sending his entire army out to get the young man who would be king.

But have you ever thought about what David was thinking during that time? God had told him he would be king, yet for years David was living like a vagabond, hiding in caves, sleeping on the ground, eating cold meat, running for his life. He could never rest, never sleep without one eye open. He was hungry and cold and tired. I wonder if he doubted God's call on his life? I wonder if he got angry at God? We know that he did. He penned the most beautiful poems in the Psalms that tell of his mindset during these years.

Here's just a few. 

 Give ear to my prayer, O God;  And do not hide Yourself from my supplication. Give heed to me and answer me; I am restless in my complaint and am surely distracted,  Because of the voice of the enemy, Because of the pressure of the wicked; For they bring down trouble upon me. And in anger they bear a grudge against me. My heart is in anguish within me, And the terrors of death have fallen upon me.  Fear and trembling come upon me, And horror has overwhelmed me.       Psalm 55:1-5

Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me up; Fighting all day he oppresses me.  My enemies would hound me all day, For there are many who fight against me, O Most High. Psalm 56

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; Defend me from those who rise up against me. Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, And save me from bloodthirsty men. For look, they lie in wait for my life; The mighty gather against me, Not for my transgression nor for my sin, O Lord. They run and prepare themselves through no fault of mine. Awake to help me, and behold! You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, Awake to punish all the nations; Do not be merciful to any wicked transgressors Psalm 59: 1-5

 Can't you just hear the terror, the agony in David's voice?? It's that desperation that says "God, are you listening? Do you see what's happening to me? Help!I've followed you all these years. I've obeyed you! What's going on?" Have you ever felt like that?? I Have!! Seems like we are in good company with David.& But what really got me was the end of all three of these Psalms. David starts out crying for help in the beginning, almost pleading with God, but by the end he was praising God and affirming God's faithfulness and goodness.

Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. But You, O God, will bring them down to the pit of destruction; Men of bloodshed and deceit will not live out half their days. But I will trust in You. Psalm 55:22-23

For You have delivered my soul from death. Have You not kept my feet from falling, That I may walk before God In the light of the living? Psalm 56:13


But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble. To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises; For God is my defense, My God of mercy. Psalm 59:16-17  

Had David's situation changed by the end of the Psalm? NO. Then how could he possibly be able to praise God? How could he say things like "You are my defense, You are my strength. You have delivered me?" Because David knew a secret. David knew that God's Word was true and in times of trouble, he remembered God's Word.
Yet how often when trouble comes our way do we avoid reading the Bible? I know I do. I usually go through the ritual cited above and then try to fix things myself. Jesus said the Words of God are life, His promises are Yes and Amen. When trouble strikes, the first thing we need to do is head to God's Word and remind ourselves of Who He is and what is His truth! I know it's hard to do. I know it's the last thing you feel like doing when you're upset and depressed, but it's the most important thing you can do. Read the Psalms outloud and join in David's prayer, head over to the Gospel of John and read about Jesus's love for you. And then pray. Pray your heart out and then trust God to come through for you. He will. Eventually He will, just like He did for David. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Mon Nov 26th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Another timely Word in due season ! Oh my, reading about how you handle things ... yes, I do believe we are a lot alike, MaryLu ! And yes, I 'try' to self-diagnose the problem/dilemna at hand, and, fix it, etc, too.
    But truly, more and more ... (maybe it's in my getting older), I am learning to trust and lean upon the Lord ... even when there is no clear answer, even when the problem looks totally hopeless and impossible (like my "lost sheep wayward son"), even ... when no answer at all is forthcoming.
    Because, even when I 'try' to fix the situation ... I never can.
    "He" is the only One I can turn to, the only One I can trust, the only One I can count on ... NO MATTER WHAT !!!
    Hence again, that saying: God IS good, ALL the time, NO MATTER WHAT !!!
    But I definitely need to turn more to the Scriptures and prayer (to pray my heart out, as you aptly said).
    God's timing is perfect, and my prayer is that: His Will, will be done. Amen, and, Amen !
    Thanks again for sharing today, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes this morning, MaryLu. Talk about hitting the mark today. Thanks for the reminder to trust.
    Brenda - thanks to you too. God is good. Faithfulness is His character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and amen, MaryLu! Such a great reminder to get into His word, in all circumstances! Whether life is peachy or when everything seems to be falling apart, stay in the Word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies! Yes.. I do think we are very much alike Brenda. I knew you could relate to my emotional explosions! God is good all the time. NO MATTER WHAT. I couldn't agree more!

    Caroline, you must have been the one for whom I wrote this today. I always pray before I write these... and then just write what the Lord gives. So glad it helped you.

    Hi Emma! Yes, indeed stay in the Word... even when life stinks! :-)

    ReplyDelete