Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Where is God in the face of pure evil?

I'm sure we are all tired of talking about, and even hearing about, the tragedy that happened in NewTown. It is such a horrific event that it has left most of us stunned and feeling sick. I know it has me.  At the risk of adding yet more thoughts to the mix, I feel compelled to speak my mind.

If there was any doubt as to the existence of Satan before this tragedy, certainly now those doubts have been obliterated.  The Bible speaks much of our enemy. His entire purpose is to lie, kill, and destroy. He hates mankind because we are made in the image of God. He hates us because God loved us so much He sent His Son to provide a way to be reconciled back to Him. No such opportunity has been give to Satan. He and his angels are doomed to an eternity of horror. He knows this and he knows his time is short.

Yes, this young man who killed those kids had mental problems. But I don't believe that is what caused him to do what he did. I believe Satan and a horde of his demons invaded this poor man's soul and took him over. There is no other explanation for such unabashed evil.

But why did God allow Satan to do this? Surely He could have stopped it?  Yes. He could have. But in this country, we have asked God to step away. We have pushed Him out the door of our government, our schools, our homes, even most of our churches and we have shut the door tight. We have told God that we don't need Him anymore. We don't like His commandments. We want to worship our own idols of Money and Beauty and Power and Fame and Success and Sex.  We think God is obsolete, old-fashioned and His ways are prudish and restricting. We don't teach our kids His law or right and wrong. We don't teach them that there is good and evil and that they will be held accountable for their actions in this world. We don't tell them that there is another world beyond this one where everything is set right. We don't tell them that they have value and purpose and meaning and are loved beyond measure.

Instead, we tell them they are the product of an accident, of years of evolving from apes. We tell them this world is all there is and there is no such thing as right and wrong. We tell them the goal in life is to make yourself happy and get as much stuff as you can.  

And they are empty inside. They have no hope and no reason to go on, because as they grow up they realize life isn't fair and they won't find the happiness they seek.  Life without God is meaningless.

How dare we get mad at God when something like this happens? God is a gentleman and He won't come back unless invited.  Was He there? Yes.. He was there, weeping and holding the bodies of those precious children. He was there in the courage and selflessness of the teachers and police. But He was told to keep His hands off. So He did.

This isn't a problem of gun control or mental-illness or government or police. This is a problem of the soul. A soul without God opens itself up to be filled with evil. Pure evil. Our culture is in deep trouble. If we continue to push God away, I fear we will see many more of these tragic incidents as Satan begins to invade the souls and spirits of our people.  But we are getting exactly what we asked for. A country without God. As our current president said,  America is not a Christian nation.    For once, I agree with him.

10 comments:

  1. Tues Dec 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well written, well shared.
    Again the verse that comes to mind: "IF My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN will I hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
    2 Chron, Chpt 7, Verse 14.
    Too many out there today .... are NOT 'His people' ... hence all kinds of the evil-minded are running loose and free, to do as they please.
    I also believe and agree, that we are going to see more of these horrific and tragic rampages taking place, unfortunately ... before the return of our Saviour.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Prayers are still with "all" of the families, and Newtown ... affected by this senseless, devastating, and hellish act !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Thank you for sharing this! God bless you and heal our country!
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This world is so wretched and so full of sorrow. It doesn’t take long to see that we are a fallen people in desperate need of a Savior. I mourn for those who lost their lives. I look forward to a day when all the suffering of this life is wiped away. God have mercy on us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by, Ladies! It's such a difficult topic but I felt I would burst if I didn't say something.
    Looking forward to a world without such evil and pain.. someday.. when Jesus returns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh MaryLu, you are so right. I agree 100%. For years, our nation has been telling, not asking, God to remove Himself from our business...from our very lives. And as you pointed out, He being the gentleman that He is, has graciously bowed out, therefore removing His protection. I believe God weeps every time something like this happens. But what can He do? We've basically tied His hands through our rebellion. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject today. It's something that's been on my heart for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. It is so sad that innocent children where the recipients of such evil, but unfortunately not surprising since we leave in a fallen world. Everyone is looking for someone or something to blame (the gunman, gun control, mental state, etc.) But no one wants to look to God as the answer. He is getting blamed probably more than anyone else. Your take on the situation was correct.

    My heart breaks for the families that have lost loved ones and I myself have shed many tears, but I like you, fear that more heartache is to come until we finally turn back to God. Thank you for your sensitivity to this situation, but also speaking plainly about it.


    Kind regards

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Angi and Amy.. everytime I think about those poor parents, tears fill my eyes. I'm sure God does the same. He is the answer to this problem.. not gun control. It's the darkness of the soul without God and without hope. I just pray He comes back soon to set all this right. It's so nice to know that will happen one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My great-aunt wrote something like this on her facebook account.Shockingly, a lot of her friends on facebook (and those who weren't) were ferociously upset and some even wished her a slow and painful death! (a so called Christian even said that my aunt would definetely go to hell for the comment too)It seems that it isn't politically correct to speak the truth-even when its soooo obvious! People hate it when they're told what they did wrong, especially concerning stuff like this. But if we don't speak out, then we are just as bad as those who don't condemn the action of this tragedy. I applaud you doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a shame about your great aunt, Eszter, but I'm not surprised at all. It is most definitely not politically correct to speak the truth.. even if it is said in love. I promise to always speak the truth here.. as far as I know it to be the truth.. I am failable and will heartily apologize for anything I say that is wrong.. but I do pray over each post, and hope God speaks through me. If we don't speak out for truth and God, who will?

    ReplyDelete