Monday, March 18, 2013

What do you look like in God's Mirror?

I don't know about you but sometimes when I look in the mirror I don't recognize the person staring back at me! Of course if you're below 40, you probably don't understand what I'm saying. Or maybe you do. Regardless of our age, life just has a way of running wild over our bodies, like a four-wheeler zooming over sand and cliffs and leaving tire tracks and divots and stains, we end up looking like an old race track long since abandoned!  Age, stress, and bad health steal our youthful bloom and leave us looking worn and wounded. It just doesn't seem fair.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18 NKJ

Did you know God has a mirror? It's unlike any of our earthy mirrors because it doesn't reflect what we look like on the outside. It only reflects what we look like on the inside.  Before we knew God, there was nothing but a murky, dark, shapeless mist reflected in that mirror.  Then we got saved and threw ourselves on the mercy of God and a baby appeared, a bright beautiful baby. As we grow in the Lord, learn of Him, read His Word and hang out with His people, that baby starts to grow into a small child. And if we continue to walk with God, that child becomes an adult.

But it is only through trials, struggles and persecution that the adult becomes beautiful, an incredibly beautiful being who sparkles like diamonds and shines so bright, others are drawn to Christ through him or her.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. 2 Corinthians 4:7 NKJ
Right after saying that, Paul describes what he's been through
  • Hedged in, pressed, troubled and oppressed yet NOT cramped or crushed
  • Suffered embarrassment and been perplexed and unable to find a way out but NOT driven to despair
  • Pursued, persecuted, and hard-driven but NOT deserted or alone
  • Struck to the ground but NOT struck out and destroyed

Many of us are going through some very heavy trials right now. I know, because I receive prayer requests from so many of you. My heart breaks for all the suffering in the world, and especially for the suffering of God's chosen.... yet, I came across these Scriptures in 2 Corinthians the other day and they gave me such hope. Our suffering is not in vain! It serves a HUGE purpose


Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,  2 Corinthians 4:16-17


Next time you look in the mirror and see that you are looking rather run-down, remember that if you keep pushing forward through the struggles and heartaches and trials, if you keep your eyes on God and on that celestial city, you are becoming quite the beauty in God's mirror. And that beauty will never fade or age for all eternity!

While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Cor 4:18 KJV

12 comments:

  1. Mon March 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent post, once again. Just wish I could see God's mirror held up to me ... to see what "He" sees. (Because, I sure don't see me in a way that He does.) Thank-you for these great reminders and truths, MaryLu.
    "NOT cramped or crushed; NOT driven to despair; NOT deserted or alone; NOT struck out and destroyed" .... thank-you Lord !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, MaryLu, thanks for pouring out this scripture and encouragement :)

    I have never seen myself as a beauty when looking at the mirror and while in prayer one day I asked God about this. He said my eyes had been lying to me. So now my prayer for me (and others) is to see myself through HIS eyes, THAT'S the image and identity I want to walk in.

    There's no ugliness in Christ and there is a purpose to any hardships we endure. Thanks again, MaryLu, for the love and diligence you put into these posts. What a blessing you are and what a difference you make for God's kingdom!
    Hugs to you, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder MaryLu... all too often, I just avoid the mirror because I'm not too fond of what I see there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, MaryLu, for writing this blog post.
    I was having a bad day and this made it a little better for me. Life is hard a lot of time and our own views of ourselves make it worse.
    I wonder what God's reflection of me is, becuase I could never even guess what I am to Him.
    Thanks again.

    Shelby Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies... sometimes I think about shutting down this blog because it's time consuming and it seems that not many people read it. But then I get messages like yours today and I realize that if only one person is blessed and encouraged by what the Lord gives me to write.. then it's worth it.
    I know many women struggle with self-image because we compare ourselves to the women we see in magazines and on TV. It only gets worse as we age.. right?
    This world only seems to value beauty and money.. not the things that are eternal.

    I believe God sees us completely differently than we see ourselves.. I believe He doesn't see the wrinkles, sags, and extra pounds. He doesn't see the crooked teeth, big noses, pimples, scars, or whatever we think is wrong with us. He sees us like beautiful princesses.. and the more we become like Him, the more beautiful we will be in all eternity. Talk about a beauty treatment!! Just spend time with your Father!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement! My self image is not to bad, you either like me as I am, or you don't! I figure as long as I like myself, the rest will work out. However, all the things we are going through certainly make me think that the Lord must be molding me into something very beautiful in His eyes. I just need to stay close to Him.
    Betti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely message, MaryLu. I can always count on you to say the right thing at the right time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MaryLu, please don't close down your blog....it always means a lot to many of us. I lurk more than I comment, but be assured I love your blog and am blessed by it. I am suffering back/hip pain and cannot sit long enough to comment often.
    Blessings~~
    Jackie Smith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie,, thank you. I appreciate that. I'm not hearing from the Lord to stop blogging right now so I know He still has people He wants to reach from here. I'm So SORRY about your back/hip pain! I know how painful that can be... I wish you'd told me earlier.. I'm putting you on my prayer list...I hope and pray it gets better and you are more comfortable! Love and hugs.. MaryLu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, MaryLu, I am so sorry you have thoughts of closing down your blog! Your readers appreciate it so much!

    It is so easy to fall into despair about who we are and this life, which is so full of pain and sorrows. But we always have to look to the cross, and remember that God found us worthy enough to send His Son to die for us. It shows us just how precious we are to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary Lu. I also am a lurker on your blog. I usually read your stuff on my Fire when I go to bed. I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy your blog and I get encouragement from it. This post especially spoke to me as I have been feeling a bit down as of late. Thanks for reminding us we are beautiful to God, our creator. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Ladies, for your encouragement! It means so much to me.!
    Boos Mum.. I so appreciate you coming out of lurkdom to let me know you are encouraged by my blog. I guess the Lord wants me to keep going.. LOL. And I will.
    I pray all of you beautiful ladies feel gorgeous and blessed today!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete