Monday, April 29, 2013

Longing for Jesus's Return!

If you believe the Bible is true, then you also believe that Jesus will return one day to gather up His followers from all the corners of the earth. If you're like me, you're probably pretty excited about that event! Whenever I bring up the Rapture, as it is called, in discussions, I run into the following three types of Christians

  • Those who are very excited and eagerly wait for His return
  • Those who have an unhealthy obsession with it and tend to predict dates, sell all their belongings and travel to Jerusalem to wait for Him, etc 
  • Those who don't want to think about it at all. It never crosses their mind and if it does, it doesn't excite them

I believe God wants us to have a healthy expectation of His return, along with an excitement, a longing for Him. All through the Epistles, Paul referred often to the return of Christ and told Christians to think on it and allow the expectation to bring them comfort and hope. But for those of us who are excited about Jesus's return, why are we excited?  Is it for selfish reasons? Because, let's face it, we're just plain tired of life and all it's struggles and we want some relief!  Or is it for the right reasons? Because we can't wait to see our Lord! Because we can't wait to fall into His arms, to sit at His feet, to hear Him talk and spend time with Him!

Imagine a husband who goes on a long journey away from home. Years and years go by and the wife misses him very much. She has children to care for and a business her husband left her to run, and she's tired and worn out. What if that husband returned and instead of being received with loving arms and showered with love, he finds a wife who is only happy to see him because finally she will have some help! 

Some Christians tell me I'm too obsessed with Jesus's return, that I think about it too much. As long as my motives are right, I have to disagree. Why? Because when I'm thinking about and longing for His return, my mind is on Him, my thoughts are on Heaven,  and I tend to worry less. I tend to lead a better live, sin less, and make fewer mistakes.


If then you have been raised with Christ, aim at and seek the rich, eternal treasures that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  And set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.  For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ, Who is our life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in the splendor of His glory.
 So kill (deaden,deprive of power) the evil desire lurking in your members [those animal impulses and all that is earthly in you that is employed in sin]: sexual vice, impurity, sensual appetites, unholy desires, and all greed and covetousness, for that is idolatry (the deifying of self and other created things instead of God).  Colossians 3:1-5 Amp


When I keep my mind on Jesus, I become more like Him. And as I become more like Him, I can be about His business more and effect the world for Him. Longing for His return doesn't mean we
neglect the work He has called us to do. It just means that if we are truly excited about seeing Him soon, (with the right motives), we will make ourselves pure and ready for Him like a bride does for her Bridegroom, and we will be busy about His business in order to please Him when he comes.



So Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.   NASB Hebrews 9:28

10 comments:

  1. Mon Apr 29th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent post !
    Have to be totally honest though -- I am both: (1) excited and eagerly waiting to see the Lord and to fall into His arms first, because I love Him; and, (2) to see Him and be with Him because I want all the tiring/draining/worrisome ordeals on this Earth to be over.
    What a day, and glorious day -- that will be !!!
    Thanks for sharing these great reminders with us.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that we await His return in anticipation of leaving this world. I long to be in His arms because He is my Saviour, but I admit that a part of that is to get away from the pain and hurt of this world. Oh, to see Him face to face, to have a peace that Satan can no longer attack! Great post, MaryLu! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

  3. So beautifully said MaryLu. God bless you in your attitude that shows your love of GOD and your faith. That will be a marvelous day. Our eartly person tho hates to leave our loved ones behind if we go before HE comes. But, if HE comes we won't have to worry about that. God bless you. Maxie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies!! Thanks for dropping by!! I agree with you all that I'm looking forward to being worry and problem free!! But that isn't my primary motivation. I can't wait to see Jesus. I just can't wait to have Him look at me and smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, MaryLu. I totally agree with you and the previous commenters.....could not express my feelings any better (than you said)!
    Blessings~~
    Jackie S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I am somewhere between eagerly anticipating his return and not thinking about it. It's supposed to be our hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post again - thank you!
    I'm reminded of a song that the band "Mercy Me" sings - "I Can Only Imagine". The full lyrics are amazing, but here's the chorus :
    "Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel; will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of You, be still; will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall; will I sing Hallelujah, or be able to speak at all?" Wow. Really - check out the full lyrics. It's a beautiful song and quickens my heart when I hear it, and even now as I read the words. What it will be like when we see Jesus. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are commanded in Scripture to be ready for the return of Christ. If we are called to be ready, I cannot see any reason why we should not be longing for it! As Jewel said, it is our hope! I cannot wait to leave all the pain, sorrow of this world and my own sinful flesh behind. To live with our Savior, Jesus, for all eternity.

    I know of a pastor who is Amillenial, like me, but used to believe in the Rapture, also like me. He thought the Rapture was going to happen at any moment so he went out to his backyard and jumped in the air to get a head start. Every time I hear him tell that story, I can’t help but laugh. I think he would have fallen into the unhealthy obsession category at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes.. I know that song very well, Caroline. It always brings me to tears..
    Emma.. that's funny about your pastor!!! I can just picture him, arms raised, leaping up and down!!! Too funny. Yes, there are some people who go as far as sell everything they own and travel to Jerusalem to stand on the Mount of Olives. I know there were a bunch of them there on the New Year for the year 2000... I always wondered what happened to them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't at all think you are too obsessed with the return of Christ. Isn't there a verse somewhere that says, Blessed are those who look for his return? That is a very very loose paraphrasing.

    I'm by far in the first category of people. I haven't sold my house and moved to Israel, but I'm waiting on bated breath. If I'm not careful, I'll get sucked into studying revelation and end times though. It's easy to look to the future and forget about the here and now. I think we need a balance. :)

    ReplyDelete