Friday, July 12, 2013

MaryLu's Musings - Do pets go to heaven?

This past week, one of my daughter's most cherished cats suddenly became ill and an hour later at the vet, she was diagnosed with kidney failure. It was only a matter of time, and it would be painful, so
my daughter chose to have her put down. It's the worst experience ever, and one I've been through  many times. I have two cats buried in my backyard and another one, whose ashes are in an urn, because I just couldn't part with him.

Aside from losing a human loved one, there's nothing worse than losing a pet. Especially if you are the one holding your pet while they inject her with the solution that puts her permanently "asleep".  I remember when I was holding my last cat, who had terminal cancer, I actually felt her soul leave her body. One minute she was filled with life, the next she was empty.  It was like I was holding a completely different cat. I brought her home and buried her and then cried my eyes out for two days.

Why do we love our pets so much?  I believe God gave us pets because He knew we would need that unconditional love they freely offer us every day. No matter if we haven't bathed, have morning breath, have no make up on, or are in the worst mood ever, they are there for us, ready to curl up next to us, to snuggle, to love, to purr or bark, and to look at us with their adoring eyes.  I had a white cat we called Snowball, who sensed when I was upset or in a bad mood, and he'd always come and sit on my lap. He'd just plop down and hang out with me, letting me know I wasn't alone and that he cared.  He was a talker so he'd always chat with me about whatever cats talk about and then he'd grow silent
while I told him my problems. We developed quite a bond and although he died 4 years ago, I still think of him often.

Many theologians will tell you that animals don't have spirits like human's do so they can't go to heaven or hell. They just die and that's that.  Animals may not have a spirit, but they do have a soul. The soul is separate form the spirit. It is the mind, will, and emotions of the being. In essence it is the unique personality, and just like spirits, souls are eternal as well.  When humans die, both our spirits and our souls (which are both eternal) go to either heaven or hell.  So, why wouldn't an animal's eternal soul go somewhere too? And since animals don't sin and only act on instinct, it would make sense that they all go to heaven.

The Bible neither proves nor refutes this, but it does mention animals in the new millennium, which is the time after Jesus returns and sets up His Kingdom in Jerusalem. So, we know that animals will be part of our lives in eternity.

I listen to a really great Bible teacher, John Fenn, who in one of his CDs describes a visit he had to Heaven. Visiting heaven, whether in the spirit or in a vision, is completely Biblical because the Apostle Paul describes his own visit in 2 Corinthians 12 .  Another reason I believe John's account is because he's not trying to make money off of his story. He's not broadcasting it, writing a book, and appearing on TV.  And the last reason I believe him is because he's one of the best Bible teachers I've heard.  Anyway, in his vision, one of the first things he saw was his dog, who had been run over by a car a few years before,  running toward him across a grassy field.  He'll tell you how astounded he was because up to that moment, he didn't think pets went to heaven, but he was elated to see his precious dog again.

My take on this is that God can do anything He wants. He is a God of love and mercy and grace, and He cares about the things we care about. He suffers with us when our pets die. He knows our agony, and He is one day coming back to abolish all death. Until that time, why wouldn't He bring our beloved pets up to heaven to await our arrival?  Can you imagine the greeting you'll receive when every pet you've ever loved and
lost comes bounding toward you as soon as you enter those pearly gates??   For me, there will be dozens of cats!! 

15 comments:

  1. Fri July 12th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well, this was most interesting today ...
    And although I had been told, that our beloved pets (like - cats and dogs) would not end up in Heaven, I always questioned that in my mind and heart ... knowing that horses would definitely be there (so why not cats and dogs too) !
    So, I choose to go along with this theory ... that our beloved pets just might be there with us too (hopefully).
    I have also had that terrible experience of holding a cat, while the Vet put her 'down to sleep'. It happened so quickly -- one minute she was still there, and the in the next second -- instantly gone ! Very upsetting and SO very sad ! (I actually remember "feeling guilty" ... like "I" killed her.)
    Never an easy decision to make, when having to put a pet down. Hoping Crystal is consoled by the fact that she did the most loving and unselfish thing, for her cat's sake. God knows all about it, loves, cares, and holds each precious tear shed.
    Thanks for this post today.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you understand the heartache of having to put a pet down too. It's beyond horrible.. and I felt guilty too. Was there more I could do? Could I have given my cat a few more days? It's just terrible. Yes.. God knows and understands our pain.. And like I said, He can do anything He wants... so why not allow us to enjoy our beloved pets in heaven? Thanks Brenda

      Delete
  2. I had to put my dog of 10 years down a couple of years ago and still miss her. There's nothing like coming home from a horrible day and having a wagging tail greet you at the door and your pet being so happy to see you as if you were the important person in the world. I truly believe that God cares about animals and shows this many times in the Bible by giving instructions on allowing them a day of rest from their labor. Also, in Jonah 4:11 (NIV) it says, "And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?” He not only cared about the people of Nineveh being destroyed but the animals as well.

    I too believe that God gave us pets to enjoy on this earth and can't help but think they too will be in heaven. What a thought provoking topic you've given us today. Looking forward to reading other responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that's a great scripture! I didn't remember that. Thanks for sharing...

      Delete
  3. My husband( of 22 yrs) and I have not been blessed with any children but we do have a special shih tzu named Malcolm who has become the hairy little baby God gave me. He is 8 yrs old and I am praying he will live 30 more years..jk. My husband travels a lot and Malcolm makes the alone time bearable. I hope that since God allows other parents their children to spend eternity with he will allow me to spend eternity with my furry little baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet story! I know Malcolm is as special to you as any child would be... and like you, I don't see why God wouldn't allow you to love and enjoy him in Heaven!

      Delete
  4. While I understand wanting to be reunited with pets, and that the Bible is silent on this, I do have one question. You state, "Animals may not have a spirit, but they do have a soul." Where do you get supporting evidence to make this claim when the Bible does not make this claim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, thanks for your response. First of all, this is just a theory of mine, certainly not something I meant to put up to theological debate. However, my evidence for believing animals have a soul comes from my observation of them. A soul encompasses the mind, will and emotions of a being so I ask myself, does an animal have a brain? Yup. Does an animal have a will? Yup. They choose to move, eat, sleep, purr, bark, whenever they want. Their will may be at a very low level and nothing like ours, but they still have a will. Do they have emotions? I've seen animals sad, nervous, frightened, loving, and angry, so I have to say yes to that one too. So, I conclude that because they possess a mind, will, and emotions, then they must have a soul. Now, the soul is different from the spirit.. Only humans are triune beings with soul, spirit, and body.

      Delete
  5. Great post, as usual, MaryLu!
    Yes!!! I believe we will see our beloved pets again one day!!! I have held pets as they died and I know that God would not allow me to go through that pain for nothing. He has given us a heart for these creatures because they are His creations...just like us. He knows that for some people, animals are the only family that they have....Yes, I believe we will see our pets again one day. And I believe that animals will have a spiritual body.
    (1 CORINTHIANS 15:35-44)
    But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With WHAT KIND OF BODY do they come?” You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. But God GIVES IT A BODY AS HE HAS CHOSEN, and to each kind of seed its own body. For NOT ALL FLESH IS THE SAME, but there is one kind for humans, another for ANIMALS, another for birds, and another for fish. There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.
    So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. IF THERE IS A NATURAL BODY, THERE IS ALSO A SPIRITUAL BODY.

    (Since animals have natural bodies, they too will have spiritual bodies)

    And what about souls?

    JOB 12:10
    In whose hand is the SOUL of EVERY LIVING THING, and the breath of all mankind.

    Aren't animals living things?

    Agree? Disagree? I guess we will all find out one day, for only God truly knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great verses, Chappy!! Seems like from Job 12:10, animals do have souls as I assumed. That's great news. And I actually never thought about those verses in Corinthians applying to animals as well... but you may be onto something. But like you said.. it's just a theory and we'll find out someday. :-)

      Delete
  6. Since the Bible is silent on what happens to animals when they die, and it brings someone comfort to believe they will see their dearly departed pet, I say let them have it. No one's salvation is in jeopardy because of this issue, so it isn't anything I am about to argue against! I too have some pets who have passed on and some currents ones I will miss when they go. I would be very thrilled to see them again one day. And if/when I do, it will be in a sinless state, so they won't have any of their annoying (but loveable)habits. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, MaryLu! The argument I've always presented to those who are skeptical is, won't we have the desires of our heart in heaven? If it was the desire of your heart to have a certain pet, don't you think that God could recreate that pet for you? Love the story of John Fenn's visit! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Billy Graham said, "God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is kind of irregular but would any of you please pray that my mom lets me get a cat once my sister moves out with hers? I was in search of a kitty for over two years (over two years ago) with my parents' blessing but things always popped up. Now, for some reason (I honestly have no idea why) my mom is VERY anti me getting a kitty. I don't know what I'll do once Amazon is gone if I can't get a kitty to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, of course I'll pray! I'm sorry your Mom is against it.. but maybe you and God can change her mind. Perhaps you can have a chat with her to ask the reason? Whatever happens, however, you must abide by her decision. My mother didn't let us have any cats or dogs growing up, so I completely understand. I know it seems unfair but when you move out on your own you can have as many kitties as you want! I did!

      Delete