Monday, June 2, 2014

What is the cure for rejection?

You may have heard in the news recently about the young man who went on a shooting spree in Santa Barbara California a few weeks ago. A young, good-looking man with his whole life ahead of him stabbed both his roommates and then grabbed his guns and drove downtown and started shooting random people. His main targets were women. In fact, he first stopped at a sorority but thank God they didn't answer the door.  He killed 6 young people before he shot himself.

Unlike so many of these random acts of violence, this man left us a video along with a 40 page manifesto of his life story.  I've glanced through some of it. And honestly, it broke my heart. He came from a broken home. His father was always busy with work, so he really had no strong male influence. Because he was skinny and smaller than other kids his age, he was bullied terribly in school He had very few friends and at several points in his life, he had no friends.  He always wanted to have a girlfriend but women shunned him and teased him. So, he threw himself into video games and they became his world, a place where he was in control and accepted.   It seemed that everywhere this kid turned, he was being told that he wasn't good enough, he wasn't fast enough or smart enough or good-looking enough. He just didn't measure up.

Many of us face rejection throughout our lives. I had a rough time in school. I was a pimple-faced nerd who got teased a lot. I also had no father in the home, no stability.  So, I can understand this kid on some level. Rejection hurts, and if you're not grounded in who you are, where you come from, and what your value is, rejection can either destroy you or make you into a monster.   I am in no way excusing what this young man did. Most of us would never dream of doing something like this, no matter how many times we'd been rejected.

The world is a very rough place. So many kids grow up in homes where they aren't loved, where they aren't accepted. Then, they go out into the world where inevitably they will face more rejection from friends, workers, spouses, etc.  If you grew up in a strong family where you were loved unconditionally, you should thank God for that blessing. You are probably a confident person, secure in yourself and able to shrug off rejections that come your way. Sure they hurt, but you aren't wounded for long. But what about the rest of us?

God is the only answer for rejection. Why? Because He never rejects anyone who comes to Him.  In fact, He not only will never reject you, He made you just like you are. He created you. He took time to add in all your unique traits and likes and abilities and skills and passions. He gave you your hair color and eye color and skin color and body type. And He took a step back and said "This is Good!"  God loves you more than anyone ever could and He values you high above anything else in His creation.  He's the only one in the universe who would gladly die for you. (And He did!)  He not only values you and loves you but He wants to walk beside you and help you. He has a plan for your life. He gives you purpose, hope, joy, love, and a reason to get up in the morning. He fixes your relationships, heals your diseases, rescues you from evil, protects, provides and will ALWAYS be there for you.  He's never too busy to listen to you, never too angry to turn your way, never unaware of all that you're going through. He tells you who you are, where you come from, why you're here, what your value is, and where you're going!

I can't help but think that if someone had told this young man how precious he was, how valued and loved he was by God, and if he had really taken the time to turn to God and find out if that was true, then he and 6 other people would not be dead now.  This young man just wanted to be loved, to be valued, to have hope for his future. I'm sure the Father was begging him to turn His way.. to just look up once and ask for help, but he never did. How God must have cried when this young man turned away from His offer of unconditional love and continued down the dark path he was on.

People will hurt you. They will reject you, say mean things, insult you, demean you, humiliate you and ignore you. Even people you love sometimes hurt you the most. But God NEVER will do any of these things. He will always love you without cost or condition. He is the only answer for rejection.


11 comments:

  1. Amen, my friend!!! Praying you have a wonderful week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a sad story! Our sin can affect so many other people and we don’t even see it! I doubt any of the people who were cruel to him or rejected him in his past would have imagined the damage it did to him. But it really is not that surprising. We are society of self worshipers, and we can’t even see our own sin! Why should we care about how our sin affects others if we are blinded to the fact that we are even sinners to begin with! Even with horrible upbringings, we are still responsible for our own actions and choices, and I don’t want it to seem like I am blaming anyone for what he did. But sin is like a weed and it will continue to grow and grow and entangles all those around it. Our world so desperately needs Christ! He wouldn’t have died for us if we were worthless! He paid the ultimate price, all for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... reject you, say mean things, insult you, demean you, humiliate you and ignore you..." Seems this was exactly what Christ went through. This is why it's so important for everyone to know His story; something that's becoming more of a rarity these days, MaryLu. Thank you for this post as a reminder, your stories--and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies. For some reason, I can't get this poor man out of my thoughts. I really feel for him. And yes, I know he killed 6 people and I am so sad and horrified for their families. Nothing can excuse that. . I just can't help but think if someone had told this kid that he was loved by God, it would have changed everything. Anyway, yes, this world so desperately needs Jesus! And Pat, good to see you here.. you have a great point. Jesus suffered all those things for us. So that we could find life. Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Mary-Lu. I can't help but see the heart behind those dreadful actions... How lost the poor young man must have been! It breaks my heart to know that he could have been one kind word away from being saved...

    You know, rejection always hurts no matter your upbringing. I've been raised in a secure and loving Christian home, and had a blissful childhood. Though there were rough patches, I know I was incredibly blessed and protected. Even so, I have been rejected and forgotten in friendships, and been hurt by words of rejection, and I have to say, even with my secure upbringing, I still struggled with it. I think it is the greatest void and most sensitive area of everyone's heart. We long to be accepted by our fellow man, even as Christians. I'm continuing to learn how amazing and unfailing God's love for me is, and I pray that as I lean more into Him, the closer I get to His heart, the less rejection will affect me.

    Thank you for this post. It makes me more eager to reach out to people. So many are fighting battles we know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying the same thing too, Jasmine, for all of us.. that God's love will so penetrate our hearts that nothing anyone says or does can truly hurt us. And also that His loves spills from us to reach a hurting world. That's where I so often fail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post, MaryLu - I really enjoy and appreciate your posts on Christianity, they always inspire, touch me and make me think!!

    I have experienced rejection in the past and agree that God is the only cure - He is the only One who NEVER fails us!! It's heart-breaking, as a Christian and one who suffered much emotional hurt and pain before knowing God, to realize that many hurting people die without God in their lives. It is a reminder to be more humble, less critical of, and more alert to - others and their need for the message of God's love.

    And while some people tend to blame parents for the actions of their children and the ways in which the parents failed their children, I feel I need to consider the possibility of generational curses and the fact that many parents experienced the same lifestyle, hurts, and rejections as their children and don't possess the knowledge, or emotional maturity to handle their own lives - to say nothing of setting the right example for their children. Like you, I don't condone wrong choices such as murder, but bearing the family history in mind gives me a better understanding of them - while realizing, again, that God is the only answer to their problems which puts some of the responsibility back on our shoulders as messengers for Him.

    Love and hugs, MaryLu!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just knowing about God and the love described in the Bible would not have made any difference.It doesn't matter how much someone loves you unless you can actually experience it personally. Believing
    something is true and experiencing it for your self are nowhere near the same.I wish just asking for God's help would give me the the chance to experience those things. I have begged God for His touch, for his affection but it never happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, I completely agree... believing in the love of God and experiencing it are two very different things. That's why there are so many believers in God who still suffer from unworthiness and rejection. I'm so sorry that you have not felt God's touch. Truly that breaks my heart. God is Spirit and He speaks to us in Spirit. Therefore we won't hear him through any of our physical senses. Learning to hear God's voice takes practice and is only possible when your spirit is born again. Because of Adam and Eve's sin in the garden all of mankind is separated from God. We are born with dead spirits that need to come alive again so that we can have a relationship with God. The only way to have your spirit come alive again is to receive the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf on the cross. God sent His only son Jesus into this world to pay the price we owe so that we could be born again and have a relationship with God! It's really quite remarkable. Anyway, I'm not sure if that is the cause of you're not hearing from God or not. Have you truly believed on and received Jesus? That is the first step to being able to have communion with God and hear His voice within you and feel His incredible love for you. Believe me, Roy, when I say God adores you. He loves you so much that He would have set Jesus into this world to suffer and die to save only you. He wants to show you His love. He does. But your spirit has to be in a position to receive it. Receive Jesus, turn away from anything that is sinful in your life, and then ask God to reveal Himself to you... it may not happen right away, but it will happen if you seek God with all your heart. I will pray for you, Roy. Feel free to contact me personally at marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com if you'd like to talk further. God Bless....

      Delete
  9. How is God the answer to our problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is the One who created each one of us and also created the world and the universe. I'm thinking He probably knows exactly how to help us with our problems. :-) In fact, I cant' think of anyone more qualified.

      Delete