Monday, March 6, 2017

You will know the timing of the Rapture and why that's important!



In honor of my upcoming release, When Angels Cry, which will be released on April 3rd, I'm going to do a series of Monday posts on the Rapture. I realize this is not a popular topic for most Christians and it is not something that is taught in most churches. My last pastor refused to even mention it in a sermon because he said it was too controversial. Many don't see the need to discuss it because it's something far away that does not affect their lives. If, indeed, the Rapture was a hundred years away, I would somewhat agree, but as we find ourselves right in the middle of the end times (as proven by a multitude of Scriptures when compared with present day events)  I believe the Rapture is one of the most important topics Christians should be discussing in these times. The most important, of course, being salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus.

One thing I often hear from Christians when I bring up the Rapture is "we won't know the day or the hour, so why bother talking about it?"   This day and hour phrase is taken from Matthew 24:36

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only."

There's two things about Scripture I've learned over the years.

  1. It's very important to read it in context
  2. Scripture interprets Scripture - look for other Scriptures on the same topic and use them to help interpret what you're reading. 

If you read all of Matthew 24, up in verse 29, Jesus is talking about His 2nd coming, not the Rapture. So it's quite possible that when He refers to not knowing the day or the hour, He is not talking about the Rapture. I don't happen to believe that because right after this phrase he then describes the Rapture.  However if you keep reading until the end of the chapter, you'll see Jesus is describing an unfaithful servant who is not ready. And it is this servant who will not know the day or the hour.

‘My master is delaying his coming,  and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of,  and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. 

Okay, so it would seem that in context Jesus may be issuing a warning to people who are not looking for Him to return and who have become lazy in their Christian walk, indicating that they are the ones who won't know the day or hour. So what we need to do now is seek out other Scriptures to see if there is any that confirm our theory.  I know this is a long passage below, but it's worth reading through.This is the Apostle Paul speaking

But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,  1 Thessalonians 5:1-9 

Just before this at the end of 1 Thess 4, Paul describes the Rapture, so we know he's talking about the Rapture here. We also know because he references the same thing Jesus said, "thief in the night".  So, it's very clear now that the Rapture will happen as a "thief in the night" to unbelievers and believers who are not watching, but to those of us who are walking closely with the Lord and watching for Him, it will NOT come as a surprise. 

Not yet convinced?  Here's another Scripture

Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.  Revelation 3:3

Let's switch this around a bit.  It could easily say  Therefore if you WILL watch, I will NOT come upon you as a thief and you WILL KNOW what hour I will come upon you.  

This idea that we will not know the timing of the Rapture so we might as well not discuss it is a fallacy and false doctrine that has slipped into the church. I'm sure it makes satan very happy that most Christians believe that and hence, are not looking, watching, or preparing for the Rapture of the saints. 

Next week: Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib

.

19 comments:

  1. Oops, said not sad :( sorry typo, changes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in the 2nd coming of Jesus and I believe that He is coming very soon. When he comes every eye will see him. Revelation 1:7. He will descent from heaven with a shout, and with the trump of God. 1 Thessalonians 4:16 It won't be a secret.

    I'm not sure how you define "Rapture". I have always understood it as a secret event, where people just disappear and are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, the Rapture and the 2nd coming are 2 separate events. Jesus does not return to earth in the Rapture, but instead he calls up His bride (the church) and we meet Him in the air. The 2nd coming is where Jesus actually puts His feet on the Mount of Olives, defeats Satan and the Antichrist and sets up His kingdom in Jerusalem. To those not taken in the Rapture, it will seem like a secret event. It is my understanding that they will neither hear nor see Jesus. When He returns in the 2nd coming, yes, every eye will see Him.

      Delete
  3. You make some very valid points. I have never thought of those scriptures in that way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very well said and I agree that pastors should never not teach scripture because they think it is either misunderstood by the congregants or controversial. A problem I have with churches of today.
    May I note a typo as to Matthew 24:26, your scripture reference should be Matthew 24: 36, as 24:26 is as follows via 1599 Geneva: "Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert, go not forth: Behold, he is in the secret places, believe it not."
    I went through it several times, just to be sure.
    I look forward to the remainder of the series. Yes, we should all be ready for the Rapture. There is a song I love and it goes, "Why don’t you just wave that old white flag of surrender, come down to the altar, let God save your soul today, you’ve run from the Lord since so far back you can’t remember, let him ease your trouble mind and wash your sins away."
    I sometimes think people believe that there is still time, when in fact, there may be none left.
    There is another one about waiting too late but the words won't come to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing out that typo. It is fixed now! I don't know that song, but it sounds wonderful. And yes, time is short. So short. That's why I'm posting about this and why I wrote When Angels Cry. God Bless!

      Delete
  5. Another great post, my friend....keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, MaryLu - looking forward to your future posts on the Rapture!!

    Love, prayers, and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dear Friend,Thank you so much for this posting this topic. . I am thrilled. I am sitting at my table-with my Bible, notebook,different colored pens,and my cup of coffee. You have given me my personal Bible study . I am thrilled to pieces. The only thing I can complain about is-- in doing this-I am finding other things that are sending me down a rabbit trail.Lol. Not a bad thing ! You are inspiring me to dig deeper and I find it so exciting to take the step of now gnawing past the meat and grabbing the bone! Looking forward to next Monday and a new post. Thank you so much. I appreciate all your messages.
    Blessings in His Name
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! That is exactly what I pray for... Enjoy those rabbit holes... they always lead to buried treasure. :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow MaryLu! Your book "When Angels Cry" is excellent. It has caused me to dig deeper in the Word and not run and bury my head in the sand. Thank you for taking a difficult subject and making it understandable.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Glenda! I'm so glad the book helped you and blessed you. :-)

      Delete
  9. Deuteronomy 29:29 says the secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever... God gave us the book of Revelation to reveal things to us concerning His Son in the last days. Also In Matthew 24:32 Jesus said: Now learn this parable from the fig tree... if He says "learn" He obviously wants us to "know" something. What he says we can know is that He will at some point be at the door around summer/fall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Douglas! Daniel was told to seal up the words of the book until the time of the end, and we are in that time. So many things are being revealed to God's people. In Amos 3:7 it says that the Lord will do nothing unless He first reveals it to His prophets... He wants us to investigate, to ask, to search for Him and His Word with all our hearts. :-)

      Delete