Thursday, January 15, 2009

A peek at The Blue Enchantress Cover


One of my favorite parts in the process of writing a novel is getting my first glimpse of the cover. I'm a very visual person so I love seeing my heroine come to life in the world I've created. At the outset, after the contract is signed, I turn in a sheet describing the characters in my book, the symbols if any, the time period, and a description of the clothing. I also try to convey a "mood" that describes my story. From that one piece of paper, the wonderful graphic artists that my publisher, Barbour, hires, create masterpieces. I really don't know how they do it, but I've been thrilled with most all of my covers.

This is not the final copy, but I thought it was so beautiful, I had to share. For those of you who have read my latest release, The Red Siren, the girl in the picture is Hope, Faith's sister. She is a seductress, a woman who believes her beauty is her only asset and who craves the attention of men to fill the void in her heart.


I'd love to know your opinions.

15 comments:

  1. Love it! I haven't read The Red Siren yet...been knitting a lot lately and not reading. If only I could figure out how to knit and read at the same time. But anyway, love the new book cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was picturing Hope in a blue dress due to the title, but I love the facial expression. From what I know of her so far, it's dead on in my opinion. *Grin*

    I cannot wait!!!

    cherryblossommj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Red Siren. When do we get to read this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Red Siren was great too! Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. :o) It actually looks like what I pictured Hope to look like. Cannot WAIT for it to come out!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Score!! I like this. The magnificent background makes it even more alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished The Red Siren and loved it! Can't wait for this one to come out also - Love the possible cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Ladies! I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did. Thanks for your enthusiasm. The Blue Enchantress will be released in early August 2009. Seems far to me, but I know it's right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The costume historian in me can't get past the fact that the dress is STILL all wrong for the 1730's.

    Why is it yellow if the title is The Blue Enchantress?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cover, MaryLu! I love Hope's expression and the blending of golds in the sky, water and dress.

    Now I'm curious after scanning other comments. Where does the "blue" come in?!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I literally just finished the red siren and i loved it you are an amzing author. My mom is an editor for barbour publishing. The next book looks great and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Blue comes from her eyes which are a bright blue and it is also references her somber, repentent mood throughout the story. She does have a blue dress in the story so I really have no idea why they gave her a yellow one. Sigh.. And thanks Caitlin for your comment. Do I know your Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue eyes are fabulous and I can definitely say that Blue and yellow go together, so it does work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm.....it does kinda look like how I pictured her...though I think I was thinking a little more delicate. :D

    ReplyDelete