Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why do bad things happen to good people?

I have this painting hanging above the fireplace in my living room. It reminds me to keep my eyes on Jesus when I am in the middle of a storm. Isnt' it gorgeous?

Anyway I thought I'd wrap up this topic with one final post. I think it is especially important to list the possible reasons for misfortune coming our way, especially in light of our present economic, spritual, and world climate. I know many people who are struggling with serious financial problems, horrific family issues, and health crisis. For those of us who believe in a loving, almighty God and who live our lives in submission to Him, perhaps these possible reasons for calamity may bring you some peace, even admidst the storm:

1. To allow you to win some major spiritual battle
2. To gain a clearer understand of who God is
3. To expose our pride and keep us humble
4. To draw us into God's arms
5. To prepare you for some future blessing
6. To prepare us for some higher calling or task
7. To pave the way for a miracle!
8. To spread the truth of the gospel
9. To bring us to repentence
10. To remind us that earth is not our home and someday there will be no more sorrow
11. To create in us the heart of Jesus
12. To remove our self-sufficiency
13. To force us to pray more often and with meaning
14. To increase and refine our faith
15. To enable us to understand the suffering of others

If you are truly following Jesus, and bad things happen, rejoice, God is up to something in your life, that--if you allow Him to work and make up your mind to submit, pray, and believe--will produce something so wonderful that could not be produced any other way.
"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing" James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment