Monday, August 3, 2009

Having trouble with a difficult decision?


Don't know what to do? Don't know which way to turn? And you've been praying and praying and so far, you haven't heard anything from God? I meet countless people in this predicament. They are confused, stressed, and burdened with the fear of making the wrong choice. What they need is wisdom. But not just any wisdom.

The Bible has much to say about wisdom. But what exactly is wisdom?
Here's what the dictionary says: the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.

In other words, wisdom is knowing what is the right choice to make! But how can we get this wisdom? Who has it? your friends? family? a trusted counselor, a pastor? If I were you, I would seek wisdom from the one Being in all the universe who knows all things actual and possible in the past, present, and future. Wouldn't someone with that kind of knowledge know exactly what to do? Why, then do we try to get advice from everyone around us before we end up asking God?

I believe it's because we aren't sure we will hear from Him. We aren't positive He will answer. We are afraid of the silence, afraid to find out maybe God doesn't care. In effect, it stems from unbelief. But the Bible is full of promises for those who seek direction. Here are a few:

A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. Psalm 37:23-24

We are told in Psalm 111 that the Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. So how do we get wisdom? We must fear God (which essentially means put Him first in our life), we must trust Him, we must lean on Him, and finally, We must ask for wisdom!

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. James 1:4-6

I used to think this meant that if I asked for wisdom, but had just a tiny doubt that God would give it to me, then I wouldn't get it. This is lie from Satan. What this passage really means is that once we ask for God's wisdom, we must be willing to completely surrender to His wisdom when He gives it. In other words, we must obey God regardless of whether we like His answer. God knows your heart and He's not going to bother answering you if He knows already that you won't be obedient. So, make sure your heart is completely submitted to His will before you ask Him for wisdom!

And remember His will is always best in the long run!

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS WOW!!! God works in mysterious ways. I'm facing a big decision on whether to keep my horse or not while I'm in college. My parents are kinda pushing me to sell her, but I'm not sure and I've been praying and praying for God to show me His Will for Sas. And then when I saw this I was like, "Wow, what's God trying to tell me here?" I'm still not exactly sure, now that I've read this, and I still don't know what He wants me to do with Sas, but, I think that He's reminding me to just keep trusting Him no matter what happens, that it will all work for good. I think also that He's telling me to keep seeking Him out too.

    Thanks for this post MaryLu.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu,

    I never looked at that verse in James that way before. Thanks for sharing what God has taught you through it. Now when I read James 1: 4-6, I will remember to ask, surrender, believe and obey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I'm not facing a decision right now, it's more like a waiting game to find out what God has planned for me next. But I needed the reassurance to keep trusting and praying and that everything will work out just the way God wants it. : )

    ReplyDelete