Monday, November 9, 2009

When God calls, I suggest you answer the phone!

Last week, we talked about how God can use our pasts (tragedies, struggles, heartaches, and even sins) to create a wonderful future for us--a future where He can use us in some great capacity for His glory and our good. (And it will be fulfilling, too!)

But we have to answer His call when He calls. So many people ask me how to discover God's will for your life. It's easy. God wants you to know what He wants you to do. He's not trying to hide it. May I suggest that the problem is on our end? Here's some reasons why we may not know God's will for our lives.
  • It's not time yet for you to know. You're not ready to do the task He has for you. (You need more time in God's boot camp!)
  • Disobedience - willful sin in your life
  • Rebellion - not fully surrendered to God
  • Not walking closely with the Lord - You can't hear Him if you don't know Him. You can't hear Him if you don't spend time with Him.
  • Faith - You have to believe God will show you when the time comes
  • Complaining too much. What was the one thing besides sin that kept the children of Israel out of the promised land?
  • You aren't answering the phone! Maybe God has already told you but you don't like what He said. Like Jonah, you're running away.
Remember Paul? He was killing Christians and liking it when God called him. How did God call him? With a blinding light and a strong voice. Paul fell on his face and became completely blind. But he had a choice at that moment. He could have complained and cursed God for making him blind. He didn't know if he'd ever receive his sight again, did he? He could have been angry and become bitter and never answered the call. And look at all he would have missed out on!! He was responsible for spreading the good news to the gentiles! What an important task. I thank God that Paul answered the call, aren't you?

Six years ago, I felt very strongly that God wanted me to write a story about a Christian Pirate. Lots of people around me thought I was nuts. I had never written a book before. I had no training, no skills, and I didn't know anyone in the publishing industry. But I did it. I answered the call. If I hadn't, I don't know what I'd be doing today.

So, do yourself a favor. Check your heart. Trust God, and answer Him when He calls you!

2 comments:

  1. That was a good post, something I needed to hear. Thank you! [=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.
    tarenn98[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete