Monday, February 8, 2010

You eat but are not satisfied

You have planted much but harvest little. You eat but are not satisfied. You drink but are still thirsty. You put on clothes but cannot keep warm. Your wages disappear as though you were putting them in pockets filled with holes!  Haggai 1:6

I think one of the biggest problems in this world is dissatisfaction. Or you could also call it unfullfillment.  That reminds me of the song that was popular when I was a kid by the Rolling Stones "You can't get no satisfacation." (Yes, I know, that ages me!) Yet, if it was possible to achieve satisfaction in this life, then surely those people with fame, fortune, power, and beauty would be satisfied. Those that have accumulated all the things we are told will make us happy and satisfied should be at the pinnacle of satisfaction, right? Yet what do we see? Divorce, Infidelity, Drug overdose, Alcoholism, Violence. . .etc..  (The recent story of Tiger Woods comes to mind)  What we find is that the very people who should be the most satisfied are even more unsatisfied then the rest of us because when you reach the top, there is nothing else to grab for, nothing else to hope for that will bring fulfillment.  That's why when I came across this verse in Haggai last week, it really spoke to me. These are the people who have everything, yet they find themselves completely unsatisfied.

Does that describe you? If you're a follower of Jesus and you find yourself feeling this way from time to time, might I suggest, you've drifted away, if only ever so slightly, from the Source of all satisfaction?


God tells us in His Word what brings true satisfaction and fulfillment. In this Scripture in Haggai, He goes on to say that the people were living in disobedience. He had asked them to build a temple and they were procrastinating. Consequently, no matter what they did, no matter how much stuff they accumulated, they were unhappy.  I see their disobedience as a result of two things.

A lack of belief - They didn't truly believe that being obedient to God would give them the result they longed for.  If they did, they would have done what He said.  How about you? Do you think being obedient to God will lead to a boring, restrictive life of servitude? Or do you believe like He says in His Word, that He came to give you life more abundantly? John 10:10

A lack of love - They didn't truly love God more than anything or anyone else.  If they did, they would have put Him first and His commands first. They would have valued His temple more than their own homes. How about you? Is God first in your life? Or is He only reserved for Sundays or whenever a tragedy occurs and you need Him? Do you read the Bible with great anticipation like you would a love letter from someone you love more than anything? Or do you read it quickly like a chore to be marked off your list?

Delight yourself also in the LORD,And He shall give you the desires of your heart  Psalm 37:4
Delight  means a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment; joy; rapture.  to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; please highly.

Do you delight in God? Might I suggest that if you are dissatisfied with your life, perhaps you should. For HE promises He will give you the desires of your heart.!

Now, I'm not perfect and I mess up alot, but I can honestly say, this promise works!!! It has worked in my own life so powerfully, that I can honestly say I love my life and am more satisfied now than I've ever been.  Trust me, it works!

9 comments:

  1. Yes...but what happened to "...One nation under God..." I do not know too many people who still believe and think that way. My own brother doesn't, which really hurts. In fact he constantly challenges me, asking me questions I thought I knew the answers to. He constantly mocks God, to the point I do not know what to say, so I pray. Which sometimes helps more than we think.=D
    I want to be able to pick up the Bible and say, "I love to read every chapter," and "I completely understand what I am reading!" But I do not...not always.
    This week, I am going to do everything I can do behave the Christian I claim to be. Only with the Lord's help of course.
    I think I am a perfectionist...not a good thing.=D
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail, thanks for your comment. Personally, I don't think we are a nation under God anymore. We used to be but we have drifted far away from Him. That's not to say that we can't come back and once again be the greatest Christian Nation on the earth! Sorry about your brother. Do you know you receive a blessing from God when people persecute you and mock you because you follow Jesus? Consider yourself blessed!
    None of us understand the Bible completely. If you did, you'd be God. Just keep reading it and asking the Holy Spirit to reveal things to you. He will! And don't worry about doing everything right. None of us ever will. Just keep your eyes on Jesus and put Him first. As He changes you from the inside you, you will change too. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats very true MaryLu, people are so not believers in God anymore, or they dont love Him anymore. Its really sad. That is kind of why i love to "preach". I know i am still strong in my faith and will continue to bring people to God.
    Actually, that is what i do with my talent He has given me. God has gifted me with an artistic talent, so i use that gift by re-opening peoples eyes to the things that God has created in this world(so many young artists dont do that). People are blind to everything around them, not looking around them to see what God has given them to enjoy and admire. Never thanking Him for the day.
    All the art i make i tell people it is because of the grace of God i can make this. Without His hand holding mine i could never make stained glass or any art.
    Great post! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, MaryLu. I really needed it this morning.

    I've been struggling with giving myself over to God fully and completely every moment of the day. I want to be with and in Him, but then I make a mistake, and it can throw me off completely for awhile.

    This post has pointed out to me some things that I can do and pray for help in so I can get back to Him. Thanks MaryLu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this passage MaryLu. It really helped me out.

    Currently I've been having almost everyone I meet challange me to the point where I just groan everytime I see them head my way. They don't like the answers I give them, and even when I don't know what to say, they use that against me. They constantly compare my life to one of a slave, working for this "God whom doesn't give you what you want" as they say. Especially my friends. They make a big deal about my life, but scoff when I tell them about my faith. Although its hard to believe that I'm being blessed when the persecute me, sometimes I wonder if God could just let me hide behind a rock or something and get back my rest. Ever felt that way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tori, it is so awesome that you are using your God-given talents to glorify Him through your art. He gives each of us a talent to use for Him. Sadly, few people find theirs or use it for His glory. Like you said, Without His hand holding mine, I wouldn't be able to write.
    Anonymous, don't give up! Your heart is in the right place. When you make a mistake, the guilt you feel is from Satan. Rebuke him, get up and move on. The Holy Spirit gently convicts you but never makes you feel guilty. God knows we will all make mistakes. He loves us anyway. He's more interested in your heart than what you do. Keep Him as your heart's desire and watch what He will do!
    Eszter, Yes, I feel that way often. I call it battle-weary. Remember we are in a battle. God will give you moments of rest here, but true rest will come when we are with Him for all eternity. When you get there, you'll be amazed at the blessings in store for you because you have endured so much persecution in this life! Hang in there. Keep the faith. Lean on Him. He'll never let you down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MaryLu,

    You brought up a wonderful subject.
    I think it is a human nature that we are all the time not satisfied.
    People long for power and money.
    It is never enough. It might be not enough love,sickness in the family, grief over someone, etc. that is occupying our minds.
    All the things that keep us busy by running so many errands, you loose yourself in it.
    People are building the shell around them. They might be believing but no time to let God deep inside to their hearts.
    Finding real happiness is by breaking this shell away and fully give yourself to God with everything you do to others like you would wish done to you. Keeping God's love in your heartand never underestimate God's power and love He has for you.
    Anna Labno

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anna. I love your last statement. "Keeping God's love in your heart and never underestimate God's power and love He has for you" That says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi MaryLu,

    I wish that you could edit things you write. I always write so fast that I loose myself in my thoughts. Some things may not make sense after I read them.
    I like to reread and correct my senteces and add or remove parts of it.
    God Bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete