Monday, October 25, 2010

The seven I will's

Happy Monday!  Did you know God is a God if the "I will's"?  When you find one of His "I will"s in the Bible, you can bank on it. He never goes back on His Word. He never changes His mind. I ran across these 7 "I wills" in Exodus 6. Moses had been complaining to God about his task of freeing the Israelites from Egypt.
The first thing God says to Moses is "I am the Lord"  Then her goes through a series of 7 promises.

  1. I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians
  2. I will free you from slavery
  3. I will rescue you with an outstretched arm
  4. I will take you to Me for a people
  5. I will be to you a God
  6. I will bring you into the land concerning which I lifted up My hand and swore that I would give to Abraham
  7. I will give it to you for a heritage

And He ends this list with another emphatic "I am the Lord."
As I read this, I realized that though none of these things were simple or easy, most actually impossible, God accomplished ALL of them.

So, I went in search of "I will"s from the Bible. Here's some real gems that I found.

Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;I will set him on high, because he has known My name.He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. Psalm 91
Turn at my rebuke; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you. Proverbs 1:23
I will contend with those who contend with you, and your children I will save. Isaiah 49: 25
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:29
Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men Mark 1:17
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day John 6:40
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. John 14:3
And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:13
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him John 14:21


I challenge you to look up your own "I will"s from God's Word. Then memorize them and recite them often, especially when life gets ugly and you feel your faith slipping.
You can take God at His Word. He is a God of the "I will" !

8 comments:

  1. Mon Oct 25th,
    Morning, MaryLu.
    "Welcome Home" ... and so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time !
    Thank-you for what you shared on your blog this morning.
    Just to add though (and you can correct me if you think I'm off track) ... but I have been taught, that when God says -- "He will" ... something must preceed it, on our part. For example .... "if" "we" will confess our sins, and accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour and believe that He died for us ... "then" God will accept us into His family, as His newly adopted child. Then, He "will be" our Heavenly Father. I do believe that God is the God of "I will's" ... but, that there must be an action on our part, first -- of repentance, praise, and prayer.
    The verse that keeps coming to mind is: " "If" My people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways ..... "then will I" hear from Heaven, and "will forgive their sin and will heal their land". "
    2 Chron 7:14.
    First, we must do what God has asked 'us' to do ..... "then" He "will" carry through on His Word. (At least, that is how I see it.)
    Thank-you for sharing that God, is the God of the "I will" ! To God be all the honour and glory !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comOctober 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

    Excellent post, MaryLu! Here is one that I love: Jeramiah 29:14 "I will be found by you," declares the Lord.....Of course, before we can 'find' Him in us, we have to 'seek' Him. There are a lot of 'I will' passages in the Bible. And yes, He keeps to His word every time. I began reading through the Bible again and I will probably 'notice' every 'I will' that I come across, thanks to you....that's a good thing. Thanks and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the "I will"s in the Bible - it's so amazing to know that God will never forget, get too busy, or change His mind.

    My favorite instance of "I will" is Haggai 2:6-8 "This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'In a little while I will once more shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake the nations, and the desired of all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory,' says the LORD Almighty. 'The silver and the gold are mine,' declares the LORD Almighty. 'The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,' says the LORD Almighty. 'And in this place I will grant peace,' declares the LORD Almighty." There's so much power and love in those verses! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, ladies! Yes Brenda, I agree, and good point. The "I wills" I'm talking about are God's promises for His children. So, yes you have to first accept His Son's sacrifice for your sins and secondly you must follow Him. There may be other conditions as well. In fact in most of my examples, there are conditions. But what I'm speaking to is that when we meet the condition and God says "I will." we can trust that He will do what He says. There are also many promises in the Bible that have no other conditions attached except that are His children. But you make an excellent point!
    Debbie... Love that scripture in Jeremiah 29! Keep reading and finding those "I wills"
    Sapphire.. I'm writing down that scripture. Wow! What a great verse. Thank you for sharing it. And what an awesome "I will" !

    ReplyDelete
  5. One I thought of when you wrote the "I wills"s, was this:
    "....I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
    ~Hebrews 13:5 (part of it)
    It was the first one that came to my mind.

    ~Abigail =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these verses. They are so encouraging and thoughtful. Its like getting a list of guarantees that helps you through whatever life throws at you. This is my favorite verse:
    Isaiah 58:11 (NKJV)
    11 The LORD will guide you continually,
    And satisfy your soul in drought,
    And strengthen your bones;
    You shall be like a watered garden,
    And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.

    Great post MaryLu!
    P.S. Just started reading Surrender the Heart! Its so hard to put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, so wonderful to read God's "I wills" instead of the "He won't" and "you can't" mentality that has pervaded the church.
    My husband often says if we would focus on doing all the things the Bible tells us to do, we wouldn't have time to do the stuff we shouldn't be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eszter, I love your favorite verse. That really says it all, doesn't it? What a loving God we serve. And faithful! Glad you're enjoying Surrender the Heart. :-)
    Yes, Niki, I agree! God is a positive God, not a negative God. I like your hubby's philosophy. If we fill our days with doing good, there's no time to do the bad. I wish I'd known that 20 years ago when I was wallowing in the mud. God bless!

    ReplyDelete