Monday, October 11, 2010

You shall never be moved!

 I was reading through Psalm 15 a few days ago and the verses just flew out at me. A question is posed to God in the first verse that goes like this:  Who shall dwell in Your Tabernacle and who shall dwell on Your Holy Hill?
In other words, who gets to hang out with God in Heaven Forever?
Then the psalmist proceeds to answer the question:
  1. He who walks and lives uprightly and blamelessly
  2. He who works rightness and justice
  3. He who speaks and thinks the truth
  4. He who dos not slander with his tongue
  5. He who does no evil to his friend
  6. He who does not take up a reproach against his neighbor  (does not blame or find fault)
  7. He who despises a wicked person  (taken in context this means to hate evil)
  8. He who honors those who fear God
  9. He who swears to his own hurt and does not change (makes a promise and keeps it)
  10. He who does not lend money for interest to his friends
  11. He who will not take a bribe against the innocent
Then the Psalm ends with yet another promise:
He who does these things shall never be moved

You see, I moved a lot as a kid. 25 times before I was 18. My mother had a grass-is-greener complex, bless her heart!  That in addition to multiple step fathers and it seemed there was no stability in my life. People who suffer from this as children often end up being control freaks as adults. (My hubby can attest to this!)  I want everything to stay the same or if it changes, I want complete control over how much and when. But the truth is, life is full of unexpected changes and most of them are not good!

But God never changes!!  Yea! I finally found Someone who never changes!  So I figured out that if I abide in Him, I will be in a stable place.  You see the Bible says that we who know Jesus are ALREADY SEATED in HEAVEN 
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ, and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

Did you know you're already seated in Heaven in your spirit?  That's what the psalmist is trying to convey in this Psalm, I believe. Yes, life will throw you tons of storms and on the outside it will look like everything is in chaos, but if you do these things... (And you can only do them by truly following Jesus and allowing Him to change your heart) then the promise is that you will never be moved. That's you, your spirit, that's you on the inside, the real you, the you that worries and gets frightened and cries and rejoices and praises and loves and has special talents, etc...the unique you that is you alone. That's the you that will never be moved from your seat in Heaven! 

You see the devil would love nothing more than to knock you down from your spot in Heaven. When he can do that, then you're under his authority again.
Do you want to be a person who is never moved from your place of victory in Heaven? No matter what is thrown at you? Well here is the formula. Submit to and follow Jesus and do those 11 things listed above to the best of your ability and God's promise is sure and true! You don't have to allow life and the devil defeat you. You don't have to live under the circumstances. You're already in heaven!


He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved. Psalm 62:2
I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. Psalm 16:9

7 comments:

  1. Monday, October 11th,
    Heh again, MaryLu.
    Well, it's officially "Thanksgiving Monday" (for Canada) .... and it's been a beautiful weekend !!! And the Autumn-coloured trees are so alive !
    Thank-you for this timely Word today ... from the Scriptures, and, what you said.
    I for one, am SO VERY thankful that God NEVER changes !!! How wonderful to have "Him" as the stability in my life (even when I don't always 'feel' overly 'together'). I am so thankful for God's awesome gift of salvation, through our Precious Lord Jesus Christ. "Together" ... there is nothing that Him and I cannot accomplish ! Praise God, He is the Rock, the Firm Foundation, my Shield, my Fortress, my Strong Tower ... my Deliverer ! What would we be without Him, MaryLu ... but LOST !!! The Lord is truly -- my Hope, my Love, and .... my sanity ... Thank God, He never changes .... the same yesterday, today, and ... always !!! We truly ... can count on Him, and, we CAN trust Him !!!
    Have a great day, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I loved this MaryLu...."I am already seated in Heaven in my spirit." So soothing...moved from home area of 70 yrs. to "country"; like it but it's been hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked this Psalm, too. These lists of qualities are such good reminders.

    And I've thought before about how we're already dwelling in heaven, too! Since God exists outside of time, His realm is not limited by time - so from every vantage point except our own earthly ones, we're already rockin' out in heaven...cool! :-)

    By the way, I chuckled when I realized that you managed to find a picture of "a house upon a rock" like in Matthew 7:24-29! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comOctober 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM

    Hey MaryLu, I am going to paste what I wrote on Facebook. So, if it looks familiar, that's why. :O): The one sentence in this entire blog that people should really heed is: (And you can only do them by truly following Jesus and allowing Him to change your heart) I've told my children countless times that when they tell me that they are saved, I take them at their word, but that only they and God know whether or not they are truly saved. Until we all take that very important step in asking the Lord into our hearts...truly and completely giving our lives to Him, then and only then can we fight the good fight and defeat Satan at every turn. Thank you for the great 'message' today, MaryLu, you truly inspire and make people 'think'. A true gift from God. God bless your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I love your enthusiasm for God! It's infectious.
    Jackie that sounds like a momentous move for you. Isn't it nice to know God never moves?
    Thanks Sapphire, rockin' out in Heaven, I love that! Yes, I was going to include scriptures about the house built on the rock and sand, but my post grew too long. Hence the picture...
    Oh Debbie, yes! Absolutely. Being saved is not saying a prayer. It's being wholly submitted to Jesus. That's when the change comes and the miracles happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MaryLu!
    This really hits me in a way that cannot be explained in words. I'm a total control freak, but compared to my sisters, I seem the more relaxed one. Sometimes its hard for me to surrender that control unto God-most of the time, I find myself wrestling it back from Him. :( I really needed this and I can't thank you enough for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad the post helped you, Eszter! I think God wants us control freaks to know He's the one in control, not us. :-)

    ReplyDelete