Monday, February 14, 2011

Daughters of the King!

In Honor of Valentine's Day today, see how our God is a God of Romance!


My heart overflows with a goodly theme; I address my psalm to a King. My tongue is like the pen of a ready writer. You are fairer than the children of men; graciousness is poured upon Your lips; therefore God has blessed You forever.
Gird Your sword upon Your thigh, O mighty One, in Your glory and Your majesty!  And in Your majesty ride on triumphantly for the cause of truth, humility, and righteousness  and let Your right hand guide You to tremendous things. Your arrows are sharp; the peoples fall under You; Your darts pierce the hearts of the King's enemies.  Psalm 40

I read  Psalm 40 the other day and my writer's brain kicked into motion. It's such a powerful, romantic image of our Lord Jesus with sword strapped to his thigh, riding on his mighty steed out to conquer his enemies!  But, then it got better!

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; the scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness, uprightness, and right standing with God and hate wickedness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows.   Your garments are all fragrant with myrrh, aloes, and cassia; stringed instruments make You glad.

Here, Father God is speaking of His Son, Jesus and the Kingdom He will receive at the end of the age. God will pass the scepter to His Son and He will rule the earth for 1000 years! He is the Prince of Princes!  Close your eyes, can you see him riding upon his white horse, ruling from Jerusalem?

Hear, O daughter, consider, submit, and consent to my instruction: forget also your own people and your father's house. So will the King desire your beauty; because He is your Lord, be submissive and reverence and honor Him.  The King's daughter in the inner part of the palace is all glorious; her clothing is inlaid with gold.  She shall be brought to the King in raiment of needlework; with the virgins, her companions that follow her, she shall be brought to You. With gladness and rejoicing will they be brought; they will enter into the King's palace.

That's you!!  The daughter of the King. Dressed in a beautiful gown, inlaid with gold! You'll be brought into the palace with great gladness and rejoicing. For He loves you more than you know.
And in case the men are feeling left out: 

Instead of Your fathers shall be Your sons, whom You will make princes in all the land.

Princesses and Princes. That's our destiny! If you're like me, you've always dreamed of days of old where Kings and Princes ruled, and honorable Knights did their King's bidding. In that world, you were a princess in the palace, adored by your father the King, sought after by the princes in the land.  Why do you think God put these dreams within us? These dreams of royalty and beauty, romance, and adventures?
I think it's because that's where we are heading. That's the real world. Our inheritance. This life we are living now is nothing but a shadow. The real world is to come. And it will be everything you've ever dreamed of!

So, whatever you're going through, I hope this Psalm encourages you today. Remember, you're a princess! You are a daughter of the King and greatly beloved!

11 comments:

  1. Morning MaryLu!
    Such a beautiful thing to think about on Valentine's Day. It is very encouraging, and a beautiful reminder.
    And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who dreams about the kings and princessess and princes from back in the day (one of the reasons Camelot intrigues me)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon Feb 14th,
    Morning, MaryLu ... and, "Happy Valentines' Day" !
    Although I am no longer "into Valentines' Day" personally ... I love what you shared ... as a HUGE reminder .. that we are "daughters of the King Himself" !!! And, "greatly beloved" !!! What a tremendous declaration !!! God, our Father, the lover of my soul .... to Him, be ALL the honour and glory ... AMEN and AMEN !!!! He IS awesome, indeed !
    Thanks, MaryLu. And, have a wonderful day !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goregous pics.What a wonderful thought,we ARE are kings and princesses.Happy Valentine's Day!!
    tarenn98

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!
    MaryLu, this is a wonderful picture of what is to come. It makes me want it to come NOW. Thank you for this post, it is very encouraging. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the awesome post today, MaryLu...and the reminder of the ultimate Author of Love :) :) Happy VAlentine's Day toyou and your family. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies! And Happy Valentine's Day. Don't ever forget that you are all princesses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, MaryLu, and Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

    This passage sounds really cool in The Message translation, too:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2045&version=MSG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks MaryLu! That was really good and was a great way to cap off my day!

    Can I mention something? I've never had a boyfriend, and I don't think I want one right now anyways. I got a lot of teasing today because of that, but it was friendly and I actually think the people I work with may have been impressed a little by that. I don't really care that I don't have a boyfriend for today: I have a lot of fun anyways, and I can enjoy it even more because I know that somewhere out there God's got "The Guy," created perfect just for me with all his flaws and talents and everything. So I can wait, and enjoy the waiting.

    Sorry, didn't mean to take over there. Just wanted to mention it.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sasafras: If I may tell you something. My daughter never had a boyfriend until she was @22years old. Then, she met the man God had for her. They have been married for almost 4 years and have a beautiful son. People today keep trying to find that certain person to complete their lives. Only they neglect to put it into God's hands. Then, they end up with broken hearts. I think it is so refreshing to find people who don't get caught up in searching and just wait on God to show them the person He has for them. You are a special lady and I am sure that God has someone just as special for you. I admire your attitude. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I love being the princess to a great King!! How cool, I feel special. I thank God for keeping me so close to Him so early in my life. It will continue to stay that way all through my life! There is no way anyone could budge me from where I stand next to Jesus!!

    By the way,
    Happy Valentines Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, Marylu! When people challenge the idea of "romance novels" as unrealistic I always think of this truth that you are talking about here - we are meant for the ultimate love story with our savior, Jesus! Well said!!!

    ReplyDelete