Monday, February 28, 2011

The Flying Scroll and the basket of wickedness

I've been reading through Zechariah. Fascinating stuff!!!  But I came across Zechariah 5. It starts like this:

Again I lifted up my eyes and behold, I saw a scroll flying or floating in the air! And the angel said to me, What do you see? And I answered, I see a flying scroll;.... Then he said to me, This is the curse that goes out over the face of the whole land; for everyone who steals shall be cut off from henceforth according to it , and everyone who swears falsely shall be cut off from henceforth according to it.

So, what does the scroll do? What is it for? 

I will bring the curse forth, says the Lord of hosts, and it shall enter into the house of the thief and into the house of him who swears falsely by My name; and it shall abide in the midst of his house and shall consume it, both its timber and its stones.

This fascinated me. Just think of this giant invisible scroll wandering across the earth and entering the houses of the wicked. God mentions 2 major sinners here, the thief and the liar , but I believe He refers to all wickedness. Once the scroll enters the house, it consumes it, like a cancer, like slow-burning fire. 


How many times have we asked ourselves. Lord, why do the wicked prosper? Why are they rich and seemingly happy and have everything? Yet, are they really happy? We don't know what's going on inside their homes. Sometimes we see snippets of it on the Tabloids, but honestly, I believe that any family who does not know the Lord or is not following the Truth, and who gives themselves over to wickedness ARE NOT HAPPY. Because without God changing our hearts, we are inherently wicked. We fight, and are selfish, and greedy


Here, James describes the nature without God
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you?  You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4

 As Isaiah 48:22 says. "There is no peace, says the Lord, for the wicked".

But Zechariah goes on to describe a vision of a massive basket carried by two women with wings. Inside the basket is another woman. Here's how the angel describes her

This is lawlessness (wickedness)! And he thrust her back into the ephah-sized vessel and he cast the weight of lead upon the mouth of it!


Then the angels took the basket away and Zechariah asked the angel where they were taking it and he told Zechariah to Babylon to build it a house and when it's finished to set it there. 


So, I asked God what is this basket? What does it mean? And He clearly spoke to my heart and told me, this is the basket containing the wickedness of the entire world. Every sin, every evil act, goes into the basket. But there will come a time that this basket will become full. And when that happens, it will stop roaming the earth and will find residence in Babylon. And then the countdown to the end of the age will begin. 


Wow! I thought that is so interesting! I don't know if this is a spiritual Babylon or a real Babylon, but that city plays a HUGE role in End time events. Just read Revelation. It will be the center of wickedness and the rule of the anti-Christ. But what struck me the most is that there is a predefined limit to how much evil God will allow on this earth. Once that limit has been reached, it's over. And considering how evil the days are becoming, my guess is we're speeding toward the end at an ever accelerating pace. 


So, what am I trying to say with all this? 
1. The wicked may "appear" to have it all together. But they have no peace in this life, nor will they in the next.
2. Be encouraged that the worse the world becomes, the sooner we, who follow Jesus, will see Him!


 This that goes forth is an ephah-sized vessel for separate grains all collected together. This, he continued, is the symbol of the sinners mentioned above and is the resemblance of their iniquity throughout the whole land.    And behold, a round, flat weight of lead was lifted and there sat a woman in the midst of the ephah-sized vessel. And he said, This is lawlessness (wickedness)! And he thrust her back into the ephah-sized vesse and he cast the weight of lead upon the mouth of it!
Then lifted I up my eyes and looked, and behold, there were two women coming forward! The wind was in their wings, for they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the ephah-sized vessel between the earth and the heavens.
   Then said I to the angel who talked with me, Where are they taking the ephah-sized vessel?
   And he said to me, To the land of Shinar [Babylonia] to build it a house, and when it is finished, to set up the ephah[-sized vessel--the symbol of such sinners and their guilt] there upon its own base.
Zechariah 5 Amplified.

8 comments:

  1. This is soooo interesting! Why do preachers not use this in their sermans? It would make a lot of people think for sure. Sometimes I have to shake my head at the realization that I don't know the Bible as well as I think I do. It's gotten me curious and I know that I'll be reading Zechariah today to see what other things it has. Cool post MaryLu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday, February 28th,
    "Morning, MaryLu".
    Wow, here we are ... already, at yet the 'end' of another month, in this new year. Talk about ... 'flying speedily'.
    Our Pastor was sharing from the pulpit just yesterday, how quickly we are 'accelerating' to the end times (with evil speeding forward, out of control), and just how rapidly our World (as we know it now) ... is changing.
    That is really interesting, about God allowing a 'predefined limit of evil' ... on this Earth. And, once that limit is reached ... it's over ! WOW !!!
    I for one, will take/choose 'peace with Jesus', now, and, in the next life !
    The rude-terrifying-awakening that 'many' are in for ... is unimaginable and down-right horrific, to say the least !!!
    Thank-you for sharing this with us, MaryLu.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl! You really need to be the leader of a Bible Study somewhere. The insights the Lord has (and keeps) giving you are amazing! This one really hits the nail on the head. Thankfully, we have 'hope' in our day to day lives. I am going to add this to the other posts I've copied of yours. I am going to create my own devotional one day, so that I can look back and reflect on the wisdom of your words. I believe that God introduced you into my life at the most opportune time. Your posts have given me so much encouragement and peace lately. I can never thank you enough for obeying God's call for you. Not only in your novels, but in your constant teaching of His Word. God bless You. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Yes, I too believe we are rapidly heading toward the end. Especially with all the stuff happening in the middle east. And it is horrible, Brenda, to think of where the lost will end up.
    Eszter, I love reading through the prophets of the Old Testament. So much of what they said back them applies to today and to our future.
    Debbie, you're so sweet.. I'm not really qualified to teach the Bible.. I just try to be obedient to write what God wants me to write. That it helps some of you out there... well, the glory goes to God, not me.
    Got my edits back from the editor for my next book, Surrender the Night.. so going through those this week. I really Love Luke's story..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facinating! I, too, like to read the OT prophets, because there's just so much cool stuff in there. At the same time, though, it can get a little confusing, and your explanation of this passage today helped me quite a bit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tues March 1st,
    "Morning (again), MaryLu" !
    JFYI -- Just finished reading 'Surrender the Heart', yesterday afternoon. Now, all prepared to read the newest one, which I don't own yet. I feel more 'familiar' with the personality of Mr Reed now.
    Hope all is well.
    Take cae, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the amplified version from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amplified version of the Bible. I found it at my local Christian book store. Many of the Greek and Hebrew original meanings of words are expounded upon. It makes for a somewhat cumbersome read but I like it because I can get more of a sense of what the authors intended to say..

    ReplyDelete