Monday, July 18, 2011

You've been given the Kingdom!

I have a huge problem with worry. It's a problem that has passed down through most of my family. My grandmother, my mother, me, and now my kids.  It's been such an enormous problem that many of my family are on anti-anxiety and/or sleep medications.  Sometimes I suffer from tightness in my chest or panic attacks.  The interesting thing is that many "creative" types suffer from the same problems. Anyway, I only bring it up because it is one of the biggest obstacles I've had to overcome. And believe me, I'm still in the battle!

Whether your'e a calm person by nature or not, let's face it, life can be very stressfull.  God understands our propensity to stress and worry. That's why He address anxiety so much in His Word. I encourage you to read over Luke 12. I call it the Worry chapter.

It's the chapter where Jesus talks about how much God cares for the birds and feeds them...of how the flowers are clothed finer than the greatest king in all his glory. And if God is concerned with birds and flowers, how much more will He provide for us?  Earlier in this same chapter, God declares that the hairs on your head are numbered. Can you imagine keeping track of that?

He then says that worrying doesn't solve anything and not to be worried about all these things--that your Father in Heaven knows you need them.  I actually think he's talking about much more than food and clothes.. he's talking about all those things of life that concern us; our kids, health, money, jobs, relationships etc..

Only aim at and strive for and seek His kingdom, and all these things shall be supplied to you also Luke 12:31

Then I came across this verse
Do not be seized with alarm and struck with fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom!

Wow, where did that come from? Here Jesus is talking about not worrying and putting God first.. and He makes this statement about the Father giving you the kingdom. What kingdom? And why would he mention this in context with worry. So, I got to thinking about it.

A kingdom is a realm or province governed by a king. The king takes care of his people. He makes decisions for their good, defends them, provides protection, gives them opportunities to work and produce, solves disputes and provides care they cannot. If the king is a good king, the people are happy and carefree. If not.. well, you just have to look at some of the past eartly kingdoms.  Of course Jesus was talking about the Kingdom of God.  In fact, He spoke often of the Kingdom of God.  He said more than once that the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of Heaven is upon them. Literally, because of His presence and His sacrifice. Right now it is a Kingdom we can't see with our eyes. Some day (and soon!) it will be a physical Kingdom on Earth.

But back to my point. By the fact of our repentence and belief in Jesus, we have all become a part of this Kingdom. But here, Jesus is saying you've been given the Kingdom. God has given you a kingdom! Not just any Kingdom but His Kingdom on earth. When someone is given Kingdom, what do they do?  They rule, right? Yes God is still the King but we are His rulers here on earth. In other words, we are all in government service.. some as abassadors, some are in the military (front lines of spiritual battle!), some teachers, some artists.. we rule through the gifts and talents and opportunities He has given us.

And you have caused them to become a Kingdom of priests for our God. And they will reign on the earth Rev 5:10

So what does this have to do with worry? If we work for the all-powerful King of the Kingdom, we are under his protection. Not only that, we have access to the throne room to ask Him for whatever we need. Would a king allow his rulers to starve? Would a king allow his rulers to not have everything they need to rule? No! Otherwise he'd be a bad king. And we already know God can not be anything but good. Does that mean He'll give us everything we want? No. It does mean He'll give us everything we need. So why worry?

I think that's what Jesus was trying to get across. You can almost hear the frustration in His voice. Why are you worried, little flock?!!!!  Seek God. Be loyal to the King, and He will take care of you.

12 comments:

  1. Mon July 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    'Amen, and Amen' to everything you shared from God's Word !
    Yes ... I admit it, I'm a worrier ... by nature. But truly, as I age, I am more and more learning to give it 'to the Lord'. There is nothing I can do to change the situation/circumstances, anyway ... so "always" best to "let God be God" ... and have "His Will" be done.
    It doesn't mean that the -- worry and concerns are suddenly over ... it just goes back to that 'trust blog' you shared a couple of weeks ago .... Trusting "the One" -- who loves you, cares for you and about you ... and, has even provided us with 'His Kingdom' !
    SO thankful, that He doesn't give us everything 'we want' ... but He does give us "what we NEED" !!!
    God IS good, ALL the time ... no matter what !!!
    Thanks again, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just discussing this with a friend of mine last night. During the daytime, it's easy for me to put on an act. I can look calm and happy and easygoing. But when I'm alone, I can see my fears. Why am I afraid? I've been called to a life of liberty! I shouldn't be afraid! But sometimes...I am. The world just seems so big and I so small. I just have to trust that God is bigger than the world, and He'll help me.
    I also have trouble imagining that God wants to give me things. It's not something I ask for a lot from Him. I don't usually pray that I can get something like a pretty new dress and shoes. When I pray, I feel as if those are trivial requests to be made compared to asking for my spiritual growth or for a loved one's salvation.
    But last night, my friend was reminding me that God is bigger than all my fears. That I can be free, free from fears, free from doubts, free from everything. Also, that while praying for spiritual growth and the salvation of others is important, God wants me to come to Him with everything. And that if a pretty dress is something I want, I can ask Him for it. He's not going to think any less of me for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryLu, this SO fits into what I've been going through lately. Even though my kids are all grown up (in a matter of speaking) they still do and say things that stress me out big time. And with Jack losing his job, me applying for a job at the age of 49 and problems with my dog, it is so hard sometimes to just 'let go and let God'. But that is exactly what we need to do. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will add it to my collection. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies!
    Brenda, we share a worry gene, I think. But I agree with you that as I've aged, I've learned to let so much go into God's capable hands. I'm still working on it!! Some days are better than others.

    Sasafras, we all have our fears. Sometimes when I am alone and especially at night, they seem magnified. I think that's because the devil knows when we are alone and defenseless (or so he thinks!)
    Of course God wants you to have a pretty dress. I don't believe any prayer is too trivial. He is a father, after all. The Bible says He longs to give good gifts to His kids. And I imagine when He blesses us with something simple like a dress or our favorite meal or whatever it is, and we thank Him, He smiles and smiles with joy. Like any parent would when they give their child a good gift. So, yes, we should pray for others and the world and people to be saved but there's nothing wrong with asking God for something for ourselves. If it's in His will, He would be happy to see us smile.
    Debbie, I know you and your family are going through so much now. I'm glad the post brought you some comfort. Remember you have been given the Kingdom!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke 12:32 (little flock)has long been one of my favorite verse. Thank you so much for sharing your insights on the Kingdom. I really get so much from the wisdom that the Lord gives you. You have such an interesting way of putting things without sermonizing. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. We are part of your little flock as you minister to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to Carla's post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Carla and Debbie! Whatever speck of wisdom or insight in my postings comes from God. I truly am a complete moron. Ask my hubby. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Without God's wisdom, we are all morons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post. I am a worrisome person by nature. Let me just say I just discovered your books, and am so happy I did. They are wonderful reads, full of Gods truth and I thank you for writing them. I am a mom of 4 kids, and a book is like mini vacation to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Locke family! Having raised 6 kids myself, I know how much we need that mini-escape now and then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this wonderful post, MaryLu! I love when you said, "Does that mean He'll give us everything we want? No. It does mean He'll give us everything we need. So why worry?" That's one of the very important keys to remember, isn't it? Remembering the difference between a "want" and a "need."

    I'm naturally a worrier, but I'm learning more and more each day to trust God. If I've prayed about something, and put it into His hands, there is no need to worry. Worry is really a true waste of time.

    Thank you again for this wonderful post!

    God bless you, MaryLu.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Luke passage, too. And love your blog. Thanks for the encouraging words----just what I needed to hear! God is good!
    Thanks, Mary Lu.

    DeVon (ddsadowski@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete