Monday, October 17, 2011

Stop believing the Lies!

They say that the spiritual battlefield is in the mind. I quite agree!  I feel like I'm always in a battle with my thoughts. How about you? Some of it is my old sinful nature shining through. Much of it is Satan and his lies. And LIES are what they are!. It's so important to recognize when a lie has been planted in your mind. Once you do that, you can easily rid yourself of that damaging enemy with the Sword of the Spirit.

So, how do we recognize the lies? Anything that goes against what God's Word says about you, your family, and your life. Don't just allow thoughts to flit about in your mind uninhibited. You must capture each thought and check it against the Truth.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,  casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ  2 Corinthians 10:4-5

Let me give you some examples from my own life.

Lie
My own father didn't want me. Why would anyone else ever love me?

Truth
God adopted me into his family and now I call him Father.
(I received God’s Spirit when he adopted me as his own daughter. Now I call him, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15)

Lie
Who do you think you are? You can't write a novel. You don't have the time or the talent.

Truth
God will give me everything I need to do what He calls me to do.
(And God is able to make all grace abound toward me, that I, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8)

Lie
My prodigal children won't ever get saved

Truth
My children will be saved
(But the descendants of the righteous will be delivered Proverbs 11:21
I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring and My blessing on your descendants; They will spring up among the grass like poplars by streams of water. Isaiah 44: 3-4)


You may have other lies being told to you. Lies like you are worthless, you are ugly, dumb, won't amount to anything, you've made too many mistakes, you're a bad mother, wife, worker. You'll never find someone to love you.. Whatever the lie is, if it goes against the WORD of GOD, IT IS A LIE!. So stop listening to the Father of Lies and search the Bible for the truth that defeats that specific Lie. It takes discipline. It takes studying the Bible daily. But it's worth it!  So, read the Word of God and ask Him to show you His truth.
 
I created a document with 2 columns. On the left side, I wrote all the lies I've been told my entire life (some I'm still being told). On the right column I list the truth and the Scriptures to back it up. Then I hung it up somewhere where I can easily see it and everytime the enemy lies to me, I counter with a Scripture.
 
If you do the same, you'll soon find that the lies will not come as often. Not only that but you'll start believing the truth. When your mind is filled with the truth of God's Word, it becomes renewed, and you have the mind of Christ. Then, watch out world!  Nothing will be impossible for you!

13 comments:

  1. Thank you!! So true.

    It is amazing how Satan's lies can really get us down.

    Here's mine:

    Lie: God is allowing you to be sick because He doesn't care about you.

    Truth: God promises to never leave me nor forsake me. I'm sick (Lymes, spider bite)because He feels that I'm worth it enough to mold and shape me into more like Him. Even in the midst of trials, God is still there and He wants the very best for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon Oct 17th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Thanks MaryLu ... for another 'timely Word in due season'.
    Yes, with all the thoughts rambling around inside my head ... some of them are lies from the enemy. But, I also find ... that "I" just tell myself ... that for instance: I am not capable of doing something, etc. That I -- don't have what it takes, etc.
    I get mixed up on "who" is saying "what" ... the enemy, or me.
    Take this new part-time job for instance ... I am not handling it -- physically, mentally, nor emotionally. When I am there, I am stressed the entire time, and when I come home from it ... I am even more stressed out about it. I truly, do not believe ... that it is the right 'fit for me'. I cannot deal with "fast-pace", rush-rush-rush, busy-busy-busy ... on a continuous basis. And now, I am feeling guilty, (or condemnded inside) -- that I am not trusting God to give me that extra zip, energy, strength, endurance .... or, that I am not being a 'conqueror'. Truly I realize, that condemnation is NOT from the Lord. It is just that my guilt-level is extremely high, and I am very unforgiving of myself (like I've let the Store down, me down, and my family).
    The Scripture verses that say -- who I am in Christ, and, what I have in Christ, etc ... I know they are true. But right now, things just aren't working out.
    Excellent word MaryLu .... I appreciate so very much all that you shared.
    P.S. ... And to Sheri (the comment above mine) ... God Bless you for sharing. What a testimony to God's greatness ! I have added you to my prayer-list. And yes, God loves you .... for sure !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri, that is so COOL. I imagine many people who are ill believe that lie of Satan's. What a blessing it is to hear that you're already clinging to the truth and discarding the lie. It's a day-to-day struggle, isn't it? I'll be praying for you!

    Brenda, you need to give yourself a break. It would be hard for anyone to jump back into the work force, but someone our age.. even harder. I would really pray about this job and seek God's direction. It may not be for you. And that's okay. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
    Anything that makes you feel depressed, confused, guilty, or bad about yourself is from the enemy. Anything that gives you peace, hope, and makes you feel loved is from God. That's how I tell. But others may chip in here with their own experiences.
    I'll be praying for God to give you wisdom about this job. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post! It was a much needed reminder for myself, but it was also timely as I'm watching my father struggle right now.

    After years in the ministry, God allowed his ministry to be attacked, his health attacked and his job to be lost. I think now he's battling depression and listening to Satan's lies of "you're not useful anymore."

    I won't use this to beat him over the head, but I'll use it as a way to pray and to remind myself not to listen to Satan's subtle schemes.

    Thank you, again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satan lies to me all the time. That's what happens with the king of the pathological liars. Thanks to Christ, I am able to catch satan in his lies and I'm able to claim the truth. Thank you for sharing this post, MaryLu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CDeesBooks, I'm so glad you dropped by! And especially glad that my post was a blessing to you during your father's struggles right now. I'm so sorry to hear of all his hardships. He's weak now and that's when the enemy starts his attack. Our enemy is like a prowling Lion... but he is nothing and he has already lost the battle.
    I will say a prayer for your Dad.. for his strength and for God to close his ears to the lies of Satan.

    Debbie.. awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, MaryLu!

    Mind if I share?

    Sheri, here are some scriptures, if you don't have them already: Jehovah Rapha (the LORD is my healer. It comes from when God was putting diseases on the Egyptians but he put none of them upon His people. Exodus 15:26 Exodus 23:25, Deuteronomy 7:15, 2 Kings 20:5, Psalm 6:2, Luke 5:17, Acts 4:30.

    Have you ever heard of Rhema Cards? If you have an iPhone, just look up "Rhema". They have cards for Identity in Christ, Healing, Faith, Purity, and more. I don't think they are listed online.

    A great worship song to go with it: "Healer" by either Hillsong or Planet Shakers. (Both sing it well).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda.

    Have you ever read, "Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson? Or "S.H.A.P.E." by Eric Rees? Both great reads about who God has created you to be.

    MaryLu is right, this job may not be right for you. God has created you to succeed! To be specifically who you are; your giftings, talents, passions, experiences & abilities. Look to those as clues to something you would be good at & succeed in. Are you quiet & reserved or out going? Like to be around people or prefer behind the scenes? Like change or consistency? What are you good at? What is an example of a time when you felt super successful?

    Sorry, I could go on & on. It's my passion to see people fully realize who God, the Master Creator, has uniquely designed each of us to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lifedance for your input! I've never heard of Rhema cards but that sounds like a great thing for those with iphones.
    And I looked up those books. They look great. :-) I'm so happy that I've found my calling, but I know many people haven't and it breaks my heart. It was one of the reason I wrote my last Destiny series.
    Hugs.. MaryLu

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's one reason I feel in love with your Destiny series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mind is constantly exploding with canon shots and sword fights: good thoughts versus the bad ones. Its sometimes hard for me to feel any peace at all. Keeps me in constant prayer. Especially when it comes to amounting to anything. I'm majoring in Literature and writing and so far have only a handful of supporters. But its things like this blog that helps and encourages me. Thank you MaryLu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad my blog helps you, Eszter! Keep writing! Keep following Jesus. He won't ever lead you astray!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MaryLu, thanks so much for posting this! Even when you know that what you're being told are lies, it's great to get some "back up" from others who believe what you do! : )

    Brenda, I know exactly what you mean. I have had a hard time finding and/or staying at jobs, because I kept getting ones where either the work itself was extremely frustrating or the other employees were creating a bad workplace. I actually had one job where you could feel the evil there. Everyone would talk about each other behind their backs, and say mean things right to their faces, and no one would help anyone else. I just had to quit that job. But then my family (and some friends, even) got mad at me, thinking I was being lazy and didn't want to work. But if I had stayed there I would have gone crazy! So, yes, sometimes it's okay to leave something, even if others don't get it. I'm praying God will show you what you should do in terms of this job that's got you so stressed. Everything will work out! : )

    ReplyDelete