Monday, May 28, 2012

You are not alone!

Therefore he sent horses and chariots and a great army there, and they came by night and surrounded the city.  And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”  2 Kings 6: 14-15 NKJ

http://alturl.com/wo9bb
Do you ever feel like you are surrounded? Maybe not by an actual army as in the verse above! But it certainly feels like that sometimes, doesn't it? You may have an army of overdue bills, unemployment, sickness, addictions, family problems, lost loved ones, sleeplessness, heartache, rejection, insecurity, fear, anxiety, homelessness and countless other generals, all fully armed, surrounding you, hurling threats your way! 


So, of course you do just what Elisha's servant did above.. you run to your master (God) and cry out to Him "What shall we do?" In other words. "Help! I'm beaten! They've won and I'm doomed!"
  
http://alturl.com/jp5rj
 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.  So when the Syrians came down to him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, and said, “Strike this people, I pray, with blindness.” And He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.  2 Kings 6: 16-18 NKJ


I've often asked God to open my eyes so I could see all the angels battling around me. Wouldn't that be cool? But God has always responded. that I couldn't handle it. That seeing both the demons and the angels would be far too frightening. I know He's right. I would probably freak out!  So, I go about my day and I usually forget about them. 


But they do not forget about me. Nor does the God who sends them to help me. Nor does God forget about you and the army of struggles surrounding you. In fact, at the first sign of the enemy's attack, God already dispatched his host of warring angels... don't believe me? Don't believe God sends angels to help one insignificant person

He did it for Daniel. Daniel was a lone man in a foreign land who saw a terrifying vision from the Lord, read the ancient Scriptures, and understood that he and his people the Jews were in a heap of trouble. So he began to pray and fast. For three weeks he ate no pleasant food and did not clean himself. For three weeks he didn't hear a word from God. No answer. Nothing. Then finally, the archangel Gabriel shows up. We're talking here the General of God's angels.. not some puny low-ranking dude.  Here's what he tells Daniel

http://alturl.com/tha7z
Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia Daniel 10:12-13 NKJ


The first day, God sent his highest ranking angel to help a single human on earth. Who is this prince of Persia who held Gabriel back and fought against him?  One of Satan's evil angels in charge of the Kingdom of Persia. Gabriel couldn't take the guy.. so Michael, another archangel, shows up to help!  That's 2 of God's Top Generals fighting so Daniel would have his prayer answered.!


I don't know about you, but that really humbles me. It really blows my mind! And it makes me realize just how much God loves us. 


So, the next time you feel surrounded by the enemy, the next time you feel outnumbered and defeated, remember, you are not alone! There are a host of angels fighting on your behalf. It may take them awhile to get there, but they are on their way!


Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1 NKJ

10 comments:

  1. Mon May 28th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    What a comfort and encouragement today's blog was to me. "I am NOT alone !!!" Amen, and Amen !
    For the past while now ... I have been feeling -- extremely anxious, agitated, worried, concerned,discouraged, had some sleepless nights, and even feeling rejected. And not by any one problem/issue believe it or not ... just not feeling myself, very distracted and unable to focus. (Even praying (of late) is extremely difficult.)
    "Surrounded by the enemy" probably best sums it up. How very humbling, exciting and wonderful it is "to know" that there are Angels fighting for me ! (Even when I can't.) So ... onward and forward -- to 'run that race with endurance, that is set before us'.
    Thanks MaryLu ... I sure needed this confirming message today !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again MaryLu for another timely message. I too needed to hear that and be reminded of God's amazing power! That scripture about Elisha and his servant alwasys gives me tingles up and down my spine. AWESOME! God cares about every detail, every worry, every fear and offers help and hope and victory!
    Be encouraged, Brenda! You are not alone - God is doing great things. Psalm 103 is a favorite of mine - "Praise the Lord I tell myself. With my whole heart I will praise His Holy Name. Praise the Lord I tell myself and don't forget the good things he does for me. He forgives my sin; He heals my diseases; He ransoms me from death ..." There's more to it, but it too is a good reminder of who God is - what His character is. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" is another goodie! Elisha's story is such a great example of that! Amen! :) I'll be praying for you Brenda in this struggle.
    Thanks again MaryLu! Have a great day ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you so very much, Caroline .... with thanks and blessings to you !
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  4. To "all" of the "American pirate-fan buddies" ..... have a wonderful Memorial Day Holiday !!!
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies! I didn't expect many comments today due to it being Memorial day, but I am so happy the post blessed you both. I know there are times when most of us feel completely alone, almost like God has abandoned us... but that's not what the Bible says! It doesn't matter how we feel, God is always there with His army!

    I especially love to see you both encouraging each other. So cool.

    I'm having a great Memorial day, Thank you Brenda! I had a lovely lunch with a girlfriend and now am making ribs and potato salad for my family. No dieting today!
    God bless America and all our troops, at home and abroad and those who've served in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, MaryLu!
    I did not read this yesterday. Oh, I should have!

    Have you been pulling out your spyglass and looking in my window?
    This cloud of feelings have been lingering over me. So many areas (in my life too) I'm asking God to move...praying, waiting, groaning...feeling alone standing in the desert. Knowing that He knows and hears; most of all loves!

    Like you if I saw an angel, I would not being bowing to them, but faint from not being able to handle it. Then again think of the many times angels did visit people of the O.T. and N.T. days.

    Thank you, MaryLu, your post brought tears of encouragement to me.
    p.s.- I shared your blog on mine as a "featured blog" post and asked others to come visit you & about your upcoming Friday post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah.. so glad the post blessed you, Miriam! Me thinks I've been spying on everyone! cause I know we all struggle with feeling alone and abandoned from time to time.

    Thanks for sharing about my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to wish that I could see angels. But then I realized that seeing them was not important-just knowing that God assigned them to watch over us is enough-and it reminds me just how much God truly loves us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are two of my favorite Bible stories too. I needed this reminder today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so awesome and a great thing to remember! I love that last picture, of the commanding angel. He could clearly protect someone! :)

    ReplyDelete