Friday, May 25, 2012

Funky Friday - I'm sailing away!!

http://alturl.com/yzy4i
Yesterday and today, my daughter and I are up in San Francisco taking sailing lessons!!!  We've had this planned for months and are very excited.  Although I have done tons of research on historic tall ships, I've never had a chance to actually try my hand at sailing a modern sail boat. So, this should be quite an adventure!  I'll be sure to post pictures sometime next week.

On another topic, next Friday starts VEIL of PEARLS month!!   This is the regular pre-release party I like to throw for my upcoming books.  This is how it works. Every Friday I will post something about my new book Veil of Pearls.  It could be something about the characters, an excerpt, trailer, as well as the fan favorite, "Guess what the character says next"!    Each week I'm giving away 2 copies. All you have to do is leave a comment. If you get a friend to come leave a comment (and they mention your name), then I'll enter your name twice!   So, spread the news and drop by next Friday!!  Hope to see you there.

And now, I'd like to recommend a book I read recently. Protection for Hire by Camy Tang.   There are really only two authors I read who write contemporary books. (I normally prefer historical) And those authors are Camy Tang and Ronie Kendig.

Tessa Lancaster's skills first earned her a position as an enforcer in her Uncle Teruo's Japanese Mafia gang. Then they landed her in prison for a crime she didn't commit. Now, three months after her release, Tessa's abilities have gained her a job as bodyguard for wealthy socialite Elizabeth St. Amant and her three-year-old son. But there's a problem or two ... or three .... There's Elizabeth's abusive husband whose relentless pursuit goes deeper than mere vengeance. There's Uncle Teruo, who doesn't understand why Tessa's new faith as a Christian prevents her from returning to the yakuza. And then there's Elizabeth's lawyer, Charles Britton, who Tessa doesn't know is the one who ensured that she did maximum time behind bars. Now Tessa and Charles must work together in order to protect their client, while new truths emerge and circumstances spiral to a deadly fever pitch. Factor in both Tessa's and Charles's families and you've got some wild dynamics---and an action-packed, romantic read as Tessa and Charles discover the reality of being made new in Christ.

I adored several things about this book.
  • The main character, Tessa, was such a fascinating character!.. more so than your normal romantic heroine. She had many different sides to her. I mean, she was an enforcer for the mob!! Yet she went to prison for something she didn't do in order to protect family.  She's both tough and tender and I loved watching how she struggles with her new life in Christ while battling the old Tessa.
  • Fast paced and action packed.  You'll be turning the pages quickly!
  • Camy has a quirky sparky wit to her writing that is really amusing. It adds an air of humor to the tenseness of the story that, in my opinion, deepens it even more.
  • Plus all the Asian influence and Japanese Mafia stuff is just plain cool!

Anyway, I encourage you to order yourself a copy!  
Amazon, BarnesAndNoble, ChristianBook.com

And visit Camy at her Website  or Blog

12 comments:

  1. Hi MaryLu, Happy sailing today -be careful and dont fall overboard now....I am looking forward to stopping next friday and seeing what you have on your new book-Love the dress she has on book cover-she looks so genteel.
    Have a great weekend-and it is a long one too again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fri May 25th,
    "Morning, MaryLu." Or, should I say "Ahoy" !!!
    So thrilled for you and your daughter taking sailing lessons !!! My son and I took sailing lessons three years ago now ... and absolutely loved it !!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !!! You gals are going to have SO much fun !!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the pictures !!! (P.S. -- It's only a 'two-day' course ???)
    Next Friday is certainly to look forward to ... as "Veil of Pearls" month begins. Can hardly wait.
    Always happy to have you introduce us to and share about other authors and their books.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Hope you and your daughter have your sun-screen on MaryLu ... as you're sure to get either tanned or wind-burned ... hopefully tanned ! All sails ahead !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for you and your daughter to do the sailing thing together! Have a great time!
    I'm looking forward to the "Veil of Pearls" unveiling too! ;) Can't wait to read it. I even got my hubby to watch the movie trailer because I thought it was so good.
    (He's also been checking out the blog a bit - after I go on about what you're writing here ...)
    Thanks for the info about Camy Tang's book too. I've never read anything by her, but it sounds fun! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sailing lessons? That's great! Try not to hurt yourself, please, we need our Cap'n in one piece. :)
    Can't wait to see the pictures.
    I will spread the news about the pre-release party. And the book you recommended sounds interesting.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooohooo, I am so excited for Veil of Pearls month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula... thanks I'm back and I didn't fall overboard!! In fact we all did really well.. more later.

    Brenda, yes, I remember your sailing lessons! I was so jealous! Ours is just a simple 2 day beginners class.. just covered the basics. But you were right! We did have a blast!

    Caroline, did your hubby like the trailer? I'm just wondering what a man's opinion was

    Ahoy, Chaplain, never fear, Captain Tyndall has returned from her voyage safe and sound!

    Thanks Emma!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fri May 25th,
    Hey MaryLu ... you aren't going to believe this ... I just wrote a response to "next week's blog" ... on "Veil of Pearls" month !!! No kidding ! I was so surprised to see it ... as I 'thought' it was going to begin on June 1st. I typed out detailed answers to your questions (re Adalia, etc) ... and the blog even had "today's date" at the top.
    However, when I went to post it (submit it) ... it would not submit, and said that an error had occured !!! Just thought you would want to know. Don't understand 'what' happened ... but it did ! And 'now', the blog is mysteriously "missing" !!! Weird, huh ???
    Anyway ... so happy to hear you and your daughter had a wonderful time, learning the basics of sailing. (We had to study a book ahead of time, and learn all the sailing lingo ... did you too ?) And, that you arrived back home again ... safe and sound !
    Don't be surprised if you're a tad stiff and sore by tomorrow ... just saying ....
    Have a great weekend, everyone.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, Brenda, something went wrong with Blogger and it put out my next Friday post while I was working on it!! Weird, huh? I think you and one other person are the only ones to see it.... Anyway, you got a sneak preview.
    I'm sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow from sailing. I can already feel it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahoy, Mate!
    What a thrill for you and your daughter! First hand experience of actually learning the ropes, so to speak, will probably have an influence on your writing, don't you think?

    I have been on many boats and walk the decks of ships; even an aircraft carrier. I love the ride of a boat and the wind bursting against my face. The smell of the seawater--ahhh! We once owned a sea doo jet ski-I fell in love with it!

    I hope you took plenty of pictures to share.

    Sail well, Apprentice!

    p.s.- I tried to comment yesterday, but for some reason it wouldn't let me--arrrghh!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds cool. Did you learn any tips that will help you in your future novels?

    I will definetely look up Camy Tang's novel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Miriam! It was a thrill! I'm like you, I love the feel of the wind on my face and the ripple of water against the hull.. the smell of the sea. It's fabulous! A jet ski? I'm jealous. Those look like so much fun!

    Eszter.. not really any tips.. this was a small sailboat.. the ones in my books are MUCH larger. LOL.. but I did have fun.. was surprised actually at how many "terms" I already knew from my research. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this book sounds awesome!! Thanks for sharing, MaryLu :)

    ReplyDelete