Monday, October 1, 2012

Getting to Know God

If I were the captain of a ship (in my dreams!), and I had to recruit a crew to help me sail the Caribbean (in search of pirate treasure, of course), what sort of sailor would I be looking for? How could I weed out all the applicants vying for a position on my ship?

Well, first of all I'd quiz them on their knowledge of sailing, right? Do they know the names of the various sails? Do they know the difference between a bowline and a buntline? A block and a boom? A staysail and stunsail, stern and the bow? Etc.   But I would also want to know about their experience. I wouldn't want some green-behind-the-ears whipper snapper who just got out of sailing school to be handling my ship! No, I want someone with experience.. who not only knows what the all the fancy terms refer to, but who has actually sailed a ship before!

Thing is, if I hired a man based purely on his head knowledge and then found out while out at sea that he hadn't a clue what he was doing, I'd have to make him walk the plank! No good for me. And definitely no good for him!

The same is true in God's kingdom. We can't just have a head knowledge of Jesus. We can't simply memorize verses and listen to sermons and know all the "Christianise".  We have to experience Him. We have to know Him by experience. Does that make sense?

Remember the story of the Woman at the Well?  Jesus was traveling through Samaria back to Galilee and stopped to rest at Jacob's well. He sent His disciples into town for something to eat, and as He waited, a woman came to fetch water and they struck up a conversation.  If you don't know the story, it's well worth reading and can be found in John 4.  Anyway, this woman came to believe that Jesus was the Messiah and she ran to tell everyone in her town.  They all came running to see who this Jesus was and listen to Him themselves.  And here's what they told the woman in John 4:42 

 And they told the woman, Now we no longer believe (trust, have faith) just because of what you said; for we have heard Him ourselves [personally], and we know that He truly is the Savior of the world, the Christ. Amplified

Do you know Jesus just based on what others have said? What you've heard in sermons or read in the Bible? Yes, you may believe He is the son of God. Yes, you may believe He rose from the dead. That's all well and good, but the question is, why do you believe? Because someone told you? Because you trust your pastor? Group leader? Wife? Husband? Friend?  I contend this is a very dangerous place to be.

Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name? And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly  Matthew 7:22-23  Amplified

You believe that God is one; you do well. So do the demons believe and shudder James 2:19

wasinski.com
So what do you do? How do you experience God? How do you get to know Him? How do you make sure you truly know Him?  Well, what would your answer be if I asked the same question of a friend of yours or a spouse. How do you get to know them? How do you get to know anybody?  But, you say,.. I can't see God or hear Him or touch Him. True. But that doesn't make Him any less real or any less present right beside you. Take my word for it, He's there and He's waiting for you to want to know Him. 

If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. Jeremiah 29:13 NLT

4 comments:

  1. Mon Oct 1st,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Eeeehhhh gadzooks ... we're in to "October" already !!!
    Amen and Amen to all you shared on today's blog. I have found that "Getting to Know Him" ... is, and has, taken a life-long journey. Growing and strengthening in my relationship with the Lord ... throughout the good times and the bad. Thank the Lord, that He NEVER changes !!! And truly, I "want" to get to know Him even better ! It takes -- loving Him above any other; a life of investing time with Him - committment; trusting Him; obeying Him; reading His Word; being faithful; prayer/communion with Him; and the list goes on ....
    There is no other place I'd rather be ... than in His presence ! But, do I do just that -- 24/7 ... no, have not achieved that yet. I continue to work at it though.
    Thanks again for today's blog, MaryLu ... another timely word in due season !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MaryLu! Another good word.
    Music worship is a huge thing for me - there's power in that - a connection is made when you acknowledge the One who is worthy of all praise and worship. Reading the Word of God too is a definate. It reveals who God is - I've got a running list of scriptures that give us His characteristics. (The first several verses of Ps.103 is a good one for that.) Prayer of course. And remembering that Christ is in us, therefore He is with us all the time. Communication can be continuous.
    This all being said - I'm still growing too, learning to become more like Him (oh, what a way I have to go!) Still learning to spend time with Him, in Him ... These past 5 years God has revealed Himself to me in powerful ways that I've never experienced before, but also, these past 5 years have handed me some of the worst things in my life thus far. God has shown Himself faithful when I've been in the pit, nowhere else to go but to Him. And oh, how good that is!
    Anyway, I could go on ... some day I'll write it all down and get it out of my head! :)

    When I started reading today's post, I was already answering your first questions - pick me! Pick me! ;) (I've got a summer's worth of 'sailing' experience as an alternate deck hand - one cruise, I'd be the fore deck hand, the next, I'd be the aft deck hand. Great fun! Another tale I'll have to save for later!)

    Sorry for the long comment ... have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wonderful post! :)

    You would spend time with them day in and day out. That's how you get to really know someone. You make that commitment to really BE THERE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ladies! Your comments always bring a smile to my face! Plus, they help me get to know you better.
    Yes, Indeed, Brenda.. it takes a lifetime to get to know God.. In fact, we will probably still be learning about him thousands of years from now in eternity. I can't wait! There is no better place to be then with Him. I couldn't agree more!

    Caroline, Music is so powerful.. especially when it is worship music. I believe Heaven is filled with worship music 24-7! I, too, have learned more about God in the dark times of my life than in any other. I don't like the dark times, but now I'm not so frightened of them because I know God will be there in a much stronger way than normal. Yes.. you should write it all down... for others.. for your children.
    And if I was truly hiring a crew for my ship, you'd be at the top of my list!

    Sheri.. Exactly! I think that's what so many people miss.. you can spend time with God at any moment.. at every moment. you don't have to be alone or on your knees or in church.. He's always there!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete