Monday, April 15, 2013

The Purposeless Life

I talk to many people, believers and non-believers, who are just drifting through life without any real
purpose aside from making money to survive. Sure they may have goals of saving for a house or a vacation, or getting married and having kids, but usually, their one and only goal is to survive the work week and get to the weekend.

I don't know about you, but that was never enough for me. I've always been the type of person who wanted more out of life than the status quo. Even when I was a non believer, I wanted my life to count for something, to mean something. I believe that's a God-given desire in each human being, yet most of us get so burned out with life, we settle for mediocrity. Others take up a cause, a political cause or a social cause and they throw themselves into that, hoping to find some fulfillment in doing good for society. I highly respect those people who devote their time and money to something other than their own interests.  They are to be highly commended. But I don't think that's the norm.

And I don't think that's the norm among Christians either. So many get "saved", give their lives to Jesus and then do nothing else. Yes, they go to church, they may even read their Bibles and pray everyday, or attend Bible studies. They may even volunteer at a food shelter or hand out tracks. All good things!. But they never really grow in their walk. They never truly devote themselves to  God!  I'm not talking about "works" here. I'm talking about purposeful devotion.

You see, like anything in life, you can't just drift around and expect to change, or expect to grow, or expect God to just zap you and give you a great ministry. You have to work at this Christianity thing. And not only work at it, but you must make it your life's work. Knowing God and serving Him must be your primary objective every single day of your life. Yet, we fall so short. We have our own
agendas and shove God off to the side.

Paul asks us to learn what is pleasing to God. Have you ever thought about that? Have you ever asked God to show you what pleases Him?

 And try to learn [in your experience] what is pleasing to the Lord [let your lives be constant proofs of what is most acceptable to Him].  Ephesians 5:10 AMP

What about these verses?
Look carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise and witless, but as wise (sensible, intelligent people),
Making the very most of the time [buying up each opportunity], because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be vague and thoughtless and foolish, but understanding and firmly grasping what the will of the Lord is Ephesians 5:15-17 AMP

Does that sound like you can just skate through Christianity? 

Here's another entreaty by Paul
Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God’s consecrated people). Ephesians 6:18 AMP

Yet, I see so many Christians who have no purpose other than hoping to get to heaven.  I'm guilty of it too. Yet God has given us believers the greatest purpose of all. To KNOW Him! And by knowing Him and loving Him, we can change the world and save people! (Talk about a grand purpose! It's the greatest purpose of all and God has allowed us to participate in it.)  We cannot afford to live purposeless lives for God anymore! Time is running short. People are going to hell. We need to wake up, live with purposeful devotion to God.  And turn this world upside down!

And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me.  Matthew 10:38 AMP


5 comments:

  1. Wow! You preach it girl!!
    This is quite a powerful message today, MaryLu, and so true. My blog post today is on prayer volunteering..so important and so easy to do. Have a wonderful week! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon Apr 15th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Wow ... this one really hit home for me. I have a long way to go to live up to this.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are always so inspirational; thanks so much!
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, we ALL have a long way to go. I've been so convicted lately of how much I live for myself instead of God. What a waste. I want to be one of His warriors.. I want to live that life of adventure He died to give me.. complete with all the struggles and trials that go along with it. Anyway, thank you all for dropping by and commenting! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Studies have shown that living a life with purpose can increase longevity.

    ReplyDelete