Monday, July 8, 2013

Are you thirsty??

Have you ever been really thirsty?  Many of us have quick and easy access to water and other drinks on a daily basis, so we probably are never truly thirsty. But think back to a time when you exercised hard or went for a long walk in the sun, or actually went somewhere where there was nothing to drink. That feeling of excruciating thirst is so strong, isn't it? And then when you finally get something to drink, you gulp it down and go "Ah!"

But did you know your spirit can thirst? A thirsty spirit does not manifest itself in the same physical sense as your body, but it is definitely a very uncomfortable sensation. It's a feeling of emptiness. Of something missing, of something not being quite right. It's that sensation when you finally get that promotion, that new car, that new dress, lose 50 pounds, get married, buy a house, go on vacation...whatever great dream of yours that has finally come true... and yet after awhile, the excitement fades, the thrill leaves, and you're left wondering what's missing? Why didn't fill-in-the-blank make me happy forever? Why do I feel unfulfilled and yearning for something more.

That's spirit thirst! And NOTHING in this world can truly satisfy it. Everything we try is like squeezing a few drops from an old dried up orange into our mouth and hoping our thirst will go away. It may quench it slightly for a short while, but it will not last. How do I know? Because I've lived long enough, tried enough things in life to realize that nothing satisfies.

Only God.   King David seemed to understand how to quench his soul-thirst.

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? Psalm 42:2
God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water  Psalm 63:1

Can you hear the yearning, the thirst in David's voice?  He knew that only God satisfied his thirsty soul. The good news is, God wants to quench your thirst! He not only wants to quench your thirst, He
paid a huge price to do so, AND He will satisfy your thirst for free!

“Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?  Isaiah 55:1-2

So, how do we get our spirit-thirst quenched? How do we find true joy and fulfillment in this life?  We turn to Jesus and simply ask.


Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” John 4:13

The truth is, Jesus took our spirit thirst upon Himself on the cross so that we would never be thirsty again.

After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” John 19:28

I always wondered about this passage. Why would Jesus say He was thirsty? Surely the Roman soldiers could care less? And why did He say it at this precise time when he knew all things were now accomplished?  I think it's because at that moment God, His father, had abandoned Jesus. God had turned His face away from His only Son because Jesus bore the sins of the entire world at that one moment and that sin caused the only separation from the Father Jesus had ever known.  And when that separation occurred, Jesus's spirit became thirsty.  Up to that point, Jesus had never experienced spirit-thirst before.

I've had many great and exciting experiences in life. I've been privileged to own homes and houses and nice clothing and even a big screen TV. I've been on vacations to Hawaii and the Caribbean. I have friends and a loving husband. And though all of those things are good, NONE of them truly satisfy in the end.  I can tell you from experience that it is only through knowing Jesus, through the intimacy of my relationship with God, that I feel fulfilled.

And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely. Rev 22:17


5 comments:

  1. Monday, July 8th ...
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent post, again ... "Amen, and, Amen" to all that you shared.
    I too, know about that thirst ... it still can happen. And yes, Jesus is the "Only One" who can satisfy ! (Nothing in this world can.)
    Thank-you for these great reminders !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! This has been on my mind a lot lately as I see friend, family, and even strangers seek out other things in life to bring them satisfaction. They might bring temporary comfort, but it won't last. Thank you for the much needed reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never look at the words "I thirst" in the Bible the same again. They seem random otherwise, but now they have meaning. I was just telling someone the other day that when I started reading fiction I was drawn to Steven King. Why? This may seem crazy, but back then I think his books seemed the closest thing to "spiritual" that I could find. Of course, back then I didn't know anyone who actually read the Bible, so you could imagine my thirst was big enough to slop down sewer water at first sight. I'm so glad to find fiction today that will entertain and aid in satisfying that thirst. Still, prayer (conversations with God) and the Bible (learning more about my heavenly Father) are the real thirst quenchers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought of John 19:28 in this way before. But it makes complete sense. I know what that dryness, emptiness, thirst is like and I have the ability to turn at any moment to quench that. I can't imagine how desperate and shocked Jesus must have felt at this completely unfamiliar experience. How painful it must have been!

    ReplyDelete