Wednesday, March 19, 2008

14 Superfoods


In just another week, my yearly organic co-op begins again and I'm very excited. I joined this farming group last year. They have a farm just a few miles outside of my city and everything they grow is organic. Each week, they pick an assortment of vegetables and fruit fresh off the vine, package it up, and ship it to various pickup locations within the city. For just $30 a week, I drive only a block from my house and pick up a box full of delicious and healthy veggies and fruits. I never know what I'm going to get and it's been so cool to try new things. I cannot tell you how much better these fresh veggies taste than the ones you'll find in the store. The tomatoes are sweeter, the strawberries melt in your mouth, even the beets were divine.

But it's not only the taste that is so good, it's that they are grown without any chemicals or pestisides (most of which cause cancer and other diseases) and the closer you eat something from the time it was picked, the more nutrients it has in it. I feel very blessed to be a part of such a great farm co-op. I encourage you to see if you may have one in your area to join, and eat your veggies and fruits the way God intended!

Along those lines, here's a list of 14 superfoods that you should be eating every week!

Beans -- reduce obesity
Blueberries -- lower risk for cardiovascular disease
Broccoli -- lowers the incidence of cataracts and fights birth defects
Oats -- reduce the risk of type II diabetes
Oranges -- prevent strokes
Pumpkin -- lowers the risk of various cancers
Wild salmon -- lowers the risk of heart disease
Soy -- lowers cholesterol
Spinach -- decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease and age-related macular degeneration
Tea -- helps prevent osteoporosis
Tomatoes -- raise the skin's sun protection factor
Turkey -- helps build a strong immune system
Walnuts -- reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer

Yogurt-promotes strong bones and a healthy heart

Well, I don't eat all of these every week, but I do eat 6 of them regularly. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment